No non OA visa extensions in Hua Hin because no health Insurance.

6 minutes ago, andre47 said:

Normally a visa for marriage is of category "O" and not "O-A". Visa and extension of stay for category "O" don't need insurance.

But there is no restriction to a person on an O-A permission applying for an Extension based on marriage to a Thai, and whether it needs insurance is very relevant. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

But there is no restriction to a person on an O-A permission applying for an Extension based on marriage to a Thai, and whether it needs insurance is very relevant. 

A extension of stay is based on the original visa. It is not based on marriage or retirement.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, andre47 said:

OA-Rules.jpg

Original: https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5d9c3b074d8a8f318362a8aa&fbclid=IwAR39UI_zBxVLedZKgZeAeYnvb0yyyIsr6SHPhnq64ohzACO7VsLUU_LlGn0

When I went last week to our Jomtien immigration the only criterion for the officer was whether the visa is "O-A" or not. (marriage or retirement is not important).

The very first sentence in the order after 2.22 says 'In case of retirement'

The criteria for consideration in the right hand column, are most certainly those for a retirement extension, not a marriage extension. For eg. being required to have a deposit of 800,000, and retaining it for 3 months after extension granted.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, andre47 said:

Normally a visa for marriage is of category "O" and not "O-A". Visa and extension of stay for category "O" don't need insurance.

I think you would find there are many like myself who came here on an O-A years ago, retire extensions then met a girl got married then switched to marriage extensions. The recent income letter and seasoning changes would have many original O-As switching to marriage extensions.

Just now, andre47 said:

A extension of stay is based on the original visa. It is not based on marriage or retirement.

Rubbish, I came here on an original OA visa and switched to a marriage extension, 3-4 friends have done the same.

You extend a stay, not a visa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Rubbish, I came here on an original OA visa and switched to a marriage extension, 3-4 friends have done the same.

The visa grants you the stay and the extension extents the stay which the visa grants you.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you would find there are many like myself who came here on an O-A years ago, retire extensions then met a girl got married then switched to marriage extensions. The recent income letter and seasoning changes would have many original O-As switching to marriage extensions.

Then you should ask your immigration officer.

7 minutes ago, andre47 said:

The visa grants you the stay and the extension extents the stay which the visa grants you.

Yes thats right but the reason for the extension is not dependant on the reason for the original visa or original stay granted..

As many have done, I arrived on an OA, did retire extensions for many years then switched to marriage extensions, nothing to do with the original visa or stay.

I have a friend who has even done it the other way round, arrived on a marriage O, marriage extensions then switched to retire extensions.

Edited by Peterw42

11 minutes ago, andre47 said:

One is simply required to have a Non-Imm Visa permission, it could be a 'B', I know of people whose Extension is based on an original Non-Imm-B. The Extension stamp says 'retirement' on it. I feel your statement above is incorrect. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

One is simply required to have a Non-Imm Visa permission, it could be a 'B', I know of people whose Extension is based on an original Non-Imm-B. The Extension stamp says 'retirement' on it. I feel your statement above is incorrect. 

Everything is possible here :).

I suggest that one of the guys with a "marriage extension" go and ask at his immigration and then report to us.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, andre47 said:

Then you should ask your immigration officer.

Yes, eventually. At the moment its not even 100% clear in regards to retire extensions (with an original OA). 

I think a good chance its going to end up like all the other changes and be enforced (or not) on an individual office basis.

I just did my marriage extension so I have 10 months for the dust to settle.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:57 AM, thaitero said:

Jomtien /pattaya

jomtienoa1.jpg

Seems pretty clear what immigration's status on insurance is for over 50's in retirement visas, get the health insurance or you will be denied!

Edited by Maestro
Removed trolling part of the post.
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Seems pretty clear what immigration's status on insurance is for over 50's in retirement visas, get the health insurance or you will be denied!

Just makes them go get a Non-Imm-O and start again, or get an Extension based on marriage. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 2:19 PM, lexilis said:

I am retired now but I worked (with WP) many years here and receive Thai Social Security benefits (which covers every medical expense). Surely that will count as sufficient insurance for visa renewal but I see no allowance for that in the posted regulations. This is ridiculous.

You're not Thai, you don't have that benefit. Foreigners have to follow the health insurance laws set in place.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No non OA visa extensions in Hua Hin because no health Insurance.

Ok, I do not understand what is so hard with this, and the need for discussion after discussion???

This is exactly like they have been explaining the rules for Non-OA visa and extensions based upon same.*

When you apply for and get your Non-OA visa in your home country, then you are allowed to have an insurance with the same minimum cover or above from your home country. That is only allowed the first year. If you after that wish to make an extension bases on your Non-OA visa for another year at an Immigration Office in Thailand, then you need to have a health insurance that are approved by Immigration. They are the ones you find at: longstay.tgia.org

If you wish to circumvent to need of Insurance, then you have to leave Thailand and visit a nearby Embassy and apply for a regular Single Entry Non-O visa that will be valid for 90 days after entry. About 30 days before end of permitted stay live up to the rules for getting a retirement extension on that one. Without the need of insurance.

Thats how simple it is. No need for a prolonged discussion about this subject. It will not need to someone getting a free pass anyway.

Sound easy in theory, lots of guys will have a current OA or re-entry permit in their passport and they wont issue a new visa with a current valid visa. I dont have the time or money at the moment to drop everything and go and get a new O visa, do another marrige extension etc, wife is working full-time, I have spent a chunk of my seasoned funds. It may also impact guys going for PR/chitizenship, who need consecutive extensions to qualify.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:57 PM, GeorgeCross said:

i'm building up a collection of them, here's another possibly chiang mai

78166EAA-6F73-415C-9178-07B9C622CCF4.jpeg

Seems pretty clear on immigration's stance. These signs are going up at all different immigration officers.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:24 PM, gk10002000 said:

So, if one believes what several IO offices are asserting, the insurance requirements not only apply to one getting their initial Non Imm OA visa in their home country and having to get insurance before even getting that visa, but to anybody that had an OA visa and is now requesting an extension of stay.

Frankly the Elite Visa at 500k baht, and if extendable for a 6th year is becoming more palatable. 500k baht at 6 years and at 30 baht to 1 USD works out to about 2700 USD per year.  Not an unreasonable fee to be able to stay in a country especialy if one already has fine insurance.  Now less immigration issues, less renewal or extension issues, etc.  It kind of throws the idea of a reasonable over 50 retirement visa out the window

Yep, an Elite visa seems to be the best option these days. I remember recently on a Non-OA said an Elite visa works out to be the same cost as an over-50s visa anyway.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, Roy Baht said:

So pay $2700 per year for nothing or pay that (or less) per year for useless Thai health insurance?

For nothing? It's a visa for you to be able to stay in Thailand for up to 6 years without having Thai health insurance, plus I believe vip access at the airport and limousine service, them doing your yearly extensions & 90 day reporting for you and some other perks. Other option is to get denied your extension and have to leave Thailand.

Edited by bbi1

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

You're not Thai, you don't have that benefit. Foreigners have to follow the health insurance laws set in place.

If the guy has been paying Thai social security, he has all the coverage. Its one of the issues that hast been addressed, all the working expats who pay into and are covered under Thai social security.

10 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

I have not posted anything about this issue for a while - because I was attacked back in October for stating that IMO they will soon apply this health insurance provision to all O-A Visa Extensions.  I also stated that IMO they will also apply this in the future to all O Visa and Extensions n- probably for anyone over the age of 50 but maybe for all. 

I also stated that IMO everyone who is living long-term in Thailand should to start making contingency plans.  Up to you, but if you dont take pro-active steps now, then when the proverbial hits the fan for you, there is nothing that complaining on TV will do for you.

The Thai gov & immigration want to make sure the over 50's are covered by health insurance in case they need to go to the hospital for treatment and they don't want to have the issue of lots of non-paying customers who don't pay their hospital bills like in the past. Let's face it, as people get older then it's more likely that they will need to use the hospital services therefore they want their risk of non-payment to be covered.

Contingency plans? Easy, go back to their home country where most Western countries will have (free) universal health care. Otherwise look at other countries for other options

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Seems pretty clear on immigration's stance. These signs are going up at all different immigration officers.

That does seem clear to me...my visa expired in 2016, so not after October 30, 2019...and i have been on extensions of that visa that expired in 2016 ever since. So, insurance not required. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lampangguy said:

That does seem clear to me...my visa expired in 2016, so not after October 30, 2019...and i have been on extensions of that visa that expired in 2016 ever since. So, insurance not required. 

Why are you confusing others?

If your stay was extended then you still have a valid visa. Nothing is expired. If your visa is cat "O-A" then you need an insurance.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, andre47 said:

Why are you confusing others?

If your stay was extended then you still have a valid visa. Nothing is expired. If your visa is cat "O-A" then you need an insurance.

Lampangguy says his visa expired in 2016. And it did.

He has been on an extension of stay since then, not an extension of visa. 

When you are on an extension of stay you get a re-entry permit to re-enter the country because you no longer have a valid visa.

Nobody in the history of the universe has ever extended a Thai Visa, its impossible. A visa is an entry document that has an expriy date, a Visa generates a "permission to stay" in Thailand, you can extend this permission to stay long after the original visa has expired.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Lampangguy says his visa expired in 2016. And it did.

He has been on an extension of stay since then, not an extension of visa. 

When you are on an extension of stay you get a re-entry permit to re-enter the country because you no longer have a valid visa.

Nobody in the history of the universe has ever extended a Thai Visa, its impossible. A visa is an entry document that has an expriy date, a Visa generates a "permission to stay" in Thailand, you can extend this permission to stay long after the original visa has expired.

The visa expires if you don't enter the country before the "enter before" date and if it is a single-entry-visa it expires also when you leave the country. It also expires when you exceed your granted length of stay.

The extension extends the length of stay. The visa is still valid. The extension of stay only extends your right to stay in the country. The extension of stay is not a visa and it also don't allow you to enter the country. If you have a "single-entry-visa" you need a re-entry-permit. Your extension of stay is responsible for the allowed length of stay and the re-entry-permit for the re-entry. The original visa is the base for all following permissions. Without a valid visa you will not get any of them.

This is how I understand a visa. 

Edited by andre47
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Sound easy in theory, lots of guys will have a current OA or re-entry permit in their passport and they wont issue a new visa with a current valid visa.

With a current Non-OA issued before 31st okt 2019 together with a re-entry permit, there is no need for any insurance before the next extension.
So, that will not be a problem, and is same easy to understand like all other very clear rules.

I dont have the time or money at the moment to drop everything and go and get a new O visa, do another marrige extension etc, wife is working full-time, I have spent a chunk of my seasoned funds.

If you are on a Non-OA visa or extension on that, then you must have the time to take care of the things you need regarding that. Spending so much money that you do not have 10k baht to go over the border a couple of days and another 2k baht for the extension needed is both irresponsible and very strange. If your economy is that bad, how are you going to take care of something unforseen that always lurks around the corner?

It may also impact guys going for PR/chitizenship, who need consecutive extensions to qualify.

Here you have a point, but on the other hand, as an example, you need to have been working and paying tax for 3 consecutive years to be able to get a PR. I find it very strange that people going for that status would be attached to a Non-OA visa. However, I am sure it exists and that might be the only valid reason in your post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, thinktoomuch said:

Most of your response doesn't seem to match the only photo I can see that was posted by Roy Baht.

As he said his visa does have the word "Retirement" on it (and also the word "visa").

The image he posted is an image of a Non-Immigrant O multiple entry visa with the word "Retirement" written on it.

I think you may have been looking at images from other posters and an image he quoted in a reply.

107000110_Non-ORetiremnt.jpg.3a458adcc27eff6dd47e06abada7e504_edt.jpg

Thank you for pointing this out; I had not noticed it previously. So this is the handwritten "Retirement" added to the visa by the immigration official (IO) mentioned by Roy Baht.

My apologies to Roy Baht for having missed that.

Roy Baht did not say when the IO added that note to the visa sticker but I guess it was when Roy Baht applied for his first application for extension for the reason of retirement following entry into Thailand with that visa.

I wonder what the handwritten Thai text above the handwritten "Retirement" on the visa sticker says. Presumably, this text was also added by the IO.

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Isnt that the whole point, the police order doesn't use the term marriage or retirement, it just mentions extensions (from an original OA). If you interpret it to apply to retire extension, it also applies to marriage extension.

Actually, the Police Order does mention retirement:

"2.22. In case of retirement..."

For an application for extension under this clause the applicant writes "retirement" on the line "reason for extension" on the application form. Clause 2.22 is exclusively for the retirement extension and thus for no other type of extension. However, members' posts indicate that some immigration officials interpret this differently regarding the insurance requirement.

• Thanks 1