Beach Buggy

teevee

Was driving south from Pattaya along Sukhumvit the other day and saw a really good looking beach buggy on the back of a truck (it looked brand new). From a quick glance, it looked like a VW based beach buggy kit car and it occurred to me that it would be a pretty useful way of getting around - safer than a motor bike and nearly as much fun. 
Anybody know if it could have been built / available in LOS ? 

• 2 months later...

I bought one in Chonburi round about November. Currently been stripped and refurbished by my friend at Rawai - Phuket

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aussie-Rays-Ragtops/311532336257641. Finished by end of month I hope - I cant wait to drive it.

I know hes going to build another 10 using DFM truck as the base - very hard to get a donor VW beetle at a fair price these days. Try contacting him for more info if your interested. 

20191229_151542.jpg

20191229_151552.jpg

20191229_151605.jpg

20191229_151613.jpg

20191229_151527.jpg

Edited by sesdave
  • Like 2

Hi - yes its legal . Has a blue book and already registered with plates and tax when I bought it. Its a LWB  which means its original chassis with just a body shell change so its not classed as a modified car by DLT unlike the SWB which is what most of the original beach buggies are. They have 14.5" cut out of the chassis then welded back together again. That would be very difficult to get registered legally. Same problem in most countries - meyers make a manxter LWB shell which you can buy in US & Aus but doubt you can get one here plus whilst the shell price isnt inhibitive the thai  import charges may be. Very - Nice shell though .

This shell was made by a hungarian guy in Bangkok I believe. Theres some photos of one on teak door - you need type the url start as this post auto removes it

/motoring-in-thailand-and-asia/92381-thai-beach-buggy.html

Same shell as mine but we have totally rebuilt it. The side pods were first thing I threw away lol.  For some unknown reason the guy built them with petrol tank over the air cooled engine!. That is normally in the front and it is now on mine as it will be a proper 4 seater when finished.

Rays buggies will be using a LWB shell when he builds his buggies for rent  using a DFM chassis. Contact him if you want more info. Hes also going to do AC cobra replicas - they will be nasty for sure.

Edited by sesdave

Dave,

Apparently you lose a bit of power by not having an extractor exhaust rather than the twin set up but around town maybe it doesn't matter.

Got that from watching a video about Bruce Meyers the "inventor" of the dune buggy.

• 3 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 2:29 PM, sesdave said:

I bought one in Chonburi round about November. Currently been stripped and refurbished by my friend at Rawai - Phuket

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aussie-Rays-Ragtops/311532336257641. Finished by end of month I hope - I cant wait to drive it.

I know hes going to build another 10 using DFM truck as the base - very hard to get a donor VW beetle at a fair price these days. Try contacting him for more info if your interested. 

pls check PM!

• 1 month later...

Well the build got slowed down somewhat  by COVID. Hard to get any work down during the lockdown. Getting there slowly but surely. Engine headlights etc fitted. Engine sounds like 2 harleys on heat.  Just finished the building and fitting of a  stainless rollcage. Doesnt help the curves but helps the rigidity and safety a lot.  A really nice looking body and cage is the manxter 2+2 but cant get a shell here so I am stuck with what I have,  Just soft top, rear seat, trim carpets to go and then hopefully I get to finally drive it end of month or there abouts. Needless to say its cost more than I originally budgeted for but it will be fun.  

Cage 3.jpg

Cage 4.jpg

Cage1.jpg

Cage 2.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...