BANGKOK
Guderian

New electricity meters

On 11/13/2019 at 10:17 AM, Guderian said:

Why not, they give them away free in the UK?

They are free initially but the cost is being added to your bill over the years, big con, currently the installation bill is £13 billion, the only benefit is for the Utility Companies who can sack all the Meter Readers.

20 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Unlike water bills which are still in antiquity.....

Here in Bangkok the MWA bills are the same was electric - done at location on hand printer after taking the reading and placed in mailbox,  

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It would make people more conscious of their consumption timing. I would adjust my pool pump times to stay on cheap-rate and be less likely to use mid afternoon AC. 

The TOU (time of use) tarrif looks a lot more expensive than the regular tarrif, just look at the service charge.

https://www.pea.co.th/Portals/1/demand_response/Electricity Tariffs Nov61.pdf?ver=2018-11-21-145427-433

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

It depends, the electronic meters are capable of measuring export power. How they react is down to how they are programmed, they are quite capable of going backwards (net metering). Unfortunately they are also quite capable of ignoring export, or worse, counting export power as consumed power and billing for it!

We won't actually know how they behave until someone with solar who is net metering actually gets one. Hopefully that's not going to be us any time soon.

Also, there are enough locals doing net metering that there will be a lot of noise made if the new meters don't account for it in the same way as the existing ones. 

Worst case will mean re-configuring our solar to be hybrid with batteries and "do not export" set 😞

Yes I understand how a smart meter can work, its the feed in tariff that's the killer

The other Concerns I've ever heard raised, is the one about WiFi cnonnectivity! We heard sporadic reports, of individuals being affected by the radiation; namely if the SmartMeter was mounted on the other side of your bedroom... 

anyhow, 8 years have passed since the Installation, and there is still no Smart Connection over the Net! - just the radiation 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Singhajon said:

Yes I understand how a smart meter can work, its the feed in tariff that's the killer

How can the feed in tariff be a killer? It can start from zero paid to you and only go up from there. Win no matter what.

You're not trying to discuss ROI are you? That's a different discussion completely.

Edited by emptypockets

On 11/13/2019 at 8:39 PM, fforest1 said:

The Smart Meter subject is a very serious matter....I will not go into it all here but I would not let them put one on my house under any circumstance....

Do you use a mobile phone, a radio, television, computer etc? They produce far more emissions than a smart meters intermittent radio bursts ever would. Smart meters emit 1 million times less radiation than international guidelines 

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

The TOU (time of use) tarrif looks a lot more expensive than the regular tarrif, just look at the service charge.

https://www.pea.co.th/Portals/1/demand_response/Electricity Tariffs Nov61.pdf?ver=2018-11-21-145427-433

That 312.24 baht appears to be for people with 22kv supplies. Below it show 38.22/month, no big deal. (And the same as my consumption level anyhow per 1.1.2) Pretty sure not many houses will have 22,000 Volts feeding into them! So I am a bit confused by that! (Or am I getting it wrong?)

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That 312.24 baht appears to be for people with 22kv supplies. Below it show 38.22/month, no big deal. (And the same as my consumption level anyhow per 1.1.2) Pretty sure not many houses will have 22,000 Volts feeding into them! So I am a bit confused by that! (Or am I getting it wrong?)

Who knows, TIT. !   LOL

I have seen a few digital meters around but i think that is as smart as it gets, unless the small hand held reader that the meter man uses and prints out the bill somehow can connect to them without physical input. years ago they would read the meter and a few days later come around with the bin. :coffee1:

smart meters and EMF  (and cancer)

look it up ...

it bursts EMF up to 10.000 times per day

dna damage, cancer anyone ?

extra:  can also spy when you are home / not home / etc...

The Smart Meter is heavily tied in with 5G they will both work together to monitor and regulate energy usage from everybody...So make of this what you will....  

1 minute ago, fforest1 said:

The Smart Meter is heavily tied in with 5G they will both work together to monitor and regulate energy usage from everybody...So make of this what you will....  

5G?

From what I have seen so far, the spectrum that 5G will operate over in Thailand has only very recently been announced?

Did you perhaps mean Wi-Fi?

• Like 1