The Thai PoPo are OK in my book...

Nyezhov

I got dipped by a gang of goniffs to the tune of my ATM card, drivers license, condo key, my Transferwise card, passport card, Rabbit card, my fabulously worn wallet and 9 large of Bs. Pretty much my fault as I was walking in the ozone in a dense crowd with camera in one hand and mooping in da other, plus I had the fat wad in the wallet which I normally dont do, that doesnt excuse criminal behavior but hey, for someone who spent years as an armed citizen, my situational awareness was lacking, especially when I review the events of the evening...so...in short...hey it sucked to be me when I dropped the warm bowl in my pocket and found that the wallet was missing. It was like, no way dude, fme, Ive been robbed, Im a crime victim, wow, that sucks LOL, damn, now I gots to go to the BIBs.

And before ya get excited, no, it wasnt a ladyboy. Or multiple ones. It was lack of preparation on  my part and perhaps a lot of complacency

So discretion being the better part of valour, I dropped the bowl down the sewer and strode manfully into the den of the dragon, the lair of the tan worm, the cave of death...the Police Station......where.....

I was treated kindly, sympathetically and professionally by a bunch of older dude cops who were as helpful as they could possibly be.???????? Lets repeat that: they were totally nice, friendly, professional and helpful.

The thieves tried to hit my Transferwise card twice but didnt mess with my Thai card. Why? Well they wanted USD and, US card PINS are only 4 digits. Easier to randomly solve. They failed and I sent the declined notices with the locations to the popo, maybe if they catch these jamokes they can use that

Of course, all the cards are cancelled, which is a pain because my new TW card has to go to the USA, and then to me. But in less than three hours, I had a new bank account, new transit cards, a new M card and a new condo key. So my 8 hours or so of suckdom is over.  Until I have to hit the DMV 3000 miles from where I will be staying in the USA to get a new DL. Why I was carrying that is beyond me.

So meine damen und herren, there is my experience with the Thai police. I have no expections the crime will be solved, but maybe Ill get lucky and get my DL and passport card back. Im sure Im not the only one who got hit. But when you are a fat falang with a camera and dazed look in a sea of Thais, you are clearly a target, so since I have managed to go 25 plus years without being a cringing victim  I reckon I was due one.

Oh by the way, for those of you who insist on carrying a passport, take heed. And when I was sitting at the PoPo desk, they were more than happy to use the pics I had on my phone. Thank the good Lawd I wasnt carrying it.

Off to Issan. Bye!

Is life great or what LOL:

"We met at my bar XXX in XXXX

Someone found your wallet and contacted me via my business card inside

Let me know when you get this and I will try to get your wallet & ID cards in my possession sometime today."

I curiously watch the Thai police in action on a daily basis...Thai TV news follows them around.

What impresses me is their seemingly calm demeanor and patience with the bad actors they have to subdue and apprehend...

In my home country the police are quick to draw weapons and discharge them without serious provocation...

Even after an arrest by Thai police...they can be seen sitting calmly out in the open for all to see...talking more like a father would to a son that was having a bad day...

I know we polk fun at them about their road stops and tea money...but overall, they do a very good job...IMHO.

Mind you...I am not including immigration police in my praise!!!

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Just a suggestion for next time your hands are busy, wear across your chest !

???? at less than 100 baht, you'll be glad you did.

cross-chest.JPG

Noramlly, when I know there is going to be a crowd, I take precautions. This time, who knows what I was thinking.

I was wearing a backpack for the camera and accesories, and had the camera slung too. 

Sometimes I wear two Osprey Slings crosswise over my bel...chest but not when I am carrying a tripod. 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Never carry more than your immediate needs.

Driving License, 1 card, enough money for the day.

Then they can't steal much from you.

Carrying a wallet with everything inside is a NooB mistake.

well yeah dude, thats all I had was my daily. Except I dont know why I had my DL with me, I usually carry either just my passport card or my state ID, not two pieces of ID. I must have messed up when I did some moving things around.

I alwys carry my condo key and transit cards in my wallet so I dont lose them. I use my Thai ATM for cash and my Transferwise as a charge card.

9K in baht is lunch money, or a tip for ST for guys like us. ????

35 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Until I have to hit the DMV 3000 miles from where I will be staying in the USA to get a new DL. Why I was carrying that is beyond me.

I got pickpocketed here long ago on the BTS when I made the rookie mistake of carrying my wallet in my pants pocket.... instead of in a shoulder bag as I've done ever since.

In that instance, I ended up much later getting my wallet with DL and some non-monetary stuff back (it was later found and returned to me sans cash and bank cards, but with my DL at the time).

So...one thing I learned from that is.... I keep my CURRENT U.S. DL locked away at home here, and in my wallet I carry the immediately prior DL (that I always save). I've used the prior/expired one at the Consulate and for various other purposes, and no one has ever cared and/or noticed about the fact it's expired. And if I should ever lose it in the future along with my wallet, at least that part will be no loss.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I got pickpocketed here long ago on the BTS when I made the rookie mistake of carrying my wallet in my pants pocket.... instead of in a shoulder bag as I've done ever since.

In that instance, I ended up much later getting my wallet with DL and some non-monetary stuff back (it was later found and returned to me sans cash and bank cards, but with my DL at the time).

So...one thing I learned from that is.... I keep my CURRENT U.S. DL locked away at home here, and in my wallet I carry the immediately prior DL (that I always save). I've used the prior/expired one at the Consulate and for various other purposes, and no one has ever cared and/or noticed about the fact it's expired. And if I should ever lose it in the future along with my wallet, at least that part will be no loss.

Yeah I dont know why I had it in my daily carry, but I have an valid state ID that I should have been carrying, and thats it.

45 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Until I have to hit the DMV 3000 miles from where I will be staying in the USA to get a new DL.

As best as I can recall, at least in my state, I was able to go online with DMV and request a replacement license for one that had been lost...  The replacement was mailed to my U.S. address, and then I forwarded it here.

Kind of a pain to exit the airport in the U.S. on a trip back and not have a valid DL of some sort in your possession, including if you have a rental car to pick up, where a DL is mandatory.

I got tired of checking my , phone, wallet, car keys etc were still there when in a market, mall or just a busy area so succumbed and bought myself a man bag .

Wallet, phone, reading glasses, car key, house key, loose change and key for car steering lock are all in my bag in front of me.

Don’t know how I managed without it or managed to keep my kets up with all that extra weight !!

Hey , I might look a <deleted> , but you get used to it after a while !!

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I got tired of checking my , phone, wallet, car keys etc were still there when in a market, mall or just a busy area so succumbed and bought myself a man bag .

Wallet, phone, reading glasses, car key, house key, loose change and key for car steering lock are all in my bag in front of my.

Don’t know how I managed without it or managed to keep my kets up with all that extra weight !!

Hey , I might look a <deleted> , but you feuded to it after a while !!

I do the same, and even have a small umbrella in it during raining season.

10 minutes ago, Youlike said:

I do the same, and even have a small umbrella in it during raining season.

Well yeah, the manbag (or murse) is tres chiclet, especially when its manly Osprey gear so you look like an athletic millenial instead of a fat gimpy stoner with sweat stains, but if I have the camera and the backpack Im sort of screwed. Usually, I take precautions, this time I didnt. 

But, its still a nice day......

Just now, Nyezhov said:

Well yeah, the manbag (or murse) is tres chiclet, especially when its manly Osprey gear so you look like an athletic millenial instead of a fat gimpy stoner with sweat stains, but if I have the camera and the backpack Im sort of screwed. Usually, I take precautions, this time I didnt. 

But, its still a nice day......

Its good of you to post this, many wouldnt admit it, also nice you had a positive experience with the Police and what was inconvenient and a pain, was actually sorted relatively quickly and positively all round.

Thank you !.

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

nice you had a positive experience with the Police and what was inconvenient and a pain, was actually sorted relatively quickly and positively all round.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I think all the police did for the OP was take a written report.... That's what they do...all nice and cozy in their station.... That's hardly going above and beyond.

But if the OP felt warm and fuzzy about the encounter, congratulations!

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I think all the police did for the OP was take a written report.... That's what they do...all nice and cozy in their station.... That's hardly going above and beyond.

Nobody said anything about "going above and beyond" all that was said was that it was a positive experience. By that, not a negative one and a tirade of derogatory remarks.

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Nobody said anything about "going above and beyond" all that was said was that it was a positive experience. By that, not a negative one and a tirade of derogatory remarks.

The not "above and beyond" comment was my language, as in, conduct that would be deserving of plaudits.

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Its good of you to post this, many wouldnt admit it, also nice you had a positive experience with the Police and what was inconvenient and a pain, was actually sorted relatively quickly and positively all round.

Thank you !.

Why wouldnt folks admit it? Hey, Im the one that fdup, I got complacent. No shame in that.  St happens. Ya live, ya learn and I still have all my digits!

Folks shouldnt think that all the BIBs are ogres, they are just regular people like us. A lot has to do with attitude too, I didnt go running in there all <deleted> off and freaked out in a ohmygodspazfest...no big deal, I had cash on the secret stash, my cell phone and my house keys, so hey, why have a total life buzz kill over $300...I went in, bumped some fists, talked about football, blamed Viets, smiled and made the whole thing as painless as possible. Now if I get my stuff back, Ill go over there, tell them, thank them and bring them a bottle ????

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But if the OP felt warm and fuzzy about the encounter, congratulations!

Like Im warm and fuzzy about life moi chum, I just thought it would be cool to report that hey, I walked into a BIBcrib and had a pleasant experience...sort of a balance to the "ohmygod the cops pulled me over and took $25 from me because I wasnt wearing a helmet and my plate was red, waaaaaah, what a bunch of thieves".

Here Ill make this topic nice and controversial so that I have something to read on the train tomorrow:

1. Thai people think different than us westerners but regardless are generally nice, helpful, friendly, fun and respectful folks.

2. Thai popos are Thai people.

3. Therefore, the Thai police are generally nice, helpful, friendly fun and respectful.

When my wallet was stolen, it had an ID card for me in it...with my phone number...

A couple weeks after the theft, some Thai citizen called my phone to say they'd found my cash and cards-removed wallet on the ground at a school yard in BKK, and ended up returning the wallet to me....

That was conduct by an ordinary Thai citizen that I call going above and beyond and deserving of plaudits.

Ohh...and yes... along the way, I also went to a Thai police station and had them fill out a report on the theft....  And believe it not, they actually wrote up the report... Amazing!!!!

1 minute ago, cyril sneer said:

difficult to listen to or have any respect for anyone that uses the word 'dude', even if it's a child

Sorry dude....but the good news for you is that they have an ignore button here that you can use to *poof* make me bandwith vaporize like a variation of Shroedingers feline........

The respect thing though? I guess Ill just be in the corner curled up in the fetal position sobbing and whimpering brokenly for a nanosecond....dude:cheesy:

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

did ya tip them?

I don't believe I did... But I was very effusive in thanking them over the phone...when they called me...

As i recall, a student found the wallet on the school ground, and then took it to the school office, where like a school secretary ended up calling me... That was who I very much thanked.

So I never had any contact with the original finder. And as I said above, the found wallet already was missing all of its valuables at that point....  But I was still glad to get it back, and it did still have my DL inside.

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

What impresses me is their seemingly calm demeanor and patience with the bad actors they have to subdue and apprehend...

In my home country the police are quick to draw weapons and discharge them without serious provocation...

I guess that's the difference between amateurs and professionals, no?

OP, what have I told you before about Bangkok? Statistically, it has to have ten times the number of paskudnyaks as Chiang Mai.

Even more impressive that despite your exhaustively catalogued physical appearance, the BIB should treat you with consideration. That is a feat of public relations in itself.

I don't dare speculate where your secret stash is - dinner is not far away.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

OP, what have I told you before about Bangkok? Statistically, it has to have ten times the number of paskudnyaks as Chiang Mai.

Even more impressive that despite your exhaustively catalogued physical appearance, the BIB should treat you with consideration. That is a feat of public relations in itself.

I don't dare speculate where your secret stash is - dinner is not far away.

Ha! I knew you would show up, like a recurring infection. Evidently, you didnt do well on the links today did you? Give new meaning to the words "duffer" and "barker"?

Now mind you your statistical analysis is deeply flawed becasue the increase in the number of skells (and only Litvaks use paskudnyak) is matched by the increase in population between CM and BKK. Duh.

Now on the other hand, other than BritManToo, nnone of you guys up there seem to have any money to steal anyway.

The BIBs treated me with consideration because even a Quasimodo can act like a gentleman. They probabably never even looked at me.

Unlike Louis Degas, I dont have a plan.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ha! I knew you would show up, like a recurring infection. Evidently, you didnt do well on the links today did you? Give new meaning to the words "duffer" and "barker"?

Now mind you your statistical analysis is deeply flawed becasue the increase in the number of skells (and only Litvaks use paskudnyak) is matched by the increase in population between CM and BKK. Duh.

Now on the other hand, other than BritManToo, nnone of you guys up there seem to have any money to steal anyway.

The BIBs treated me with consideration because even a Quasimodo can act like a gentleman. They probabably never even looked at me.

Unlike Louis Degas, I dont have a plan.

Most unkind. Rather think of me as your mentor, educating you in the world outside the Hew Hess Hay.

37 off the stick on the first nine of Mae Kok. Par 36, so there. Not that those numbers mean anything to you, any more than basic multiplication of 10 million population vs. 1 million.

Not all of us are paupers, you know. We just like to look that way so khamoys won't bother us. We don't wear loud Hawaiian shirts advertising how gormless we are either.

Skells? Since when have you been stealing vocabulary from the Afrikaners? 

The reference to a butterfly is apt, given your previous descriptions of assignations. You did reprove me for using the "d" word, so I won't.

The least you could have done for those kind BIB's by way of thanks would be to send them a carton of Pringles.

Archived