Swedish woman killed by motorbike while crossing Khao Lak highway

webfact

Swedish woman killed by motorbike while crossing Khao Lak highway

By The Phuket News

1573541338_1-org.jpg

The scene of the accident on Saturday night (Nov 9). Photo: Khao Lak Police

PHANG NGA: A 30-year-old Thai man is facing a charge of reckless driving causing death after his motorbike struck a Swedish woman crossing the main highway through Khao Lak, north of Phuket, on Saturday night (Nov 9).

The accident happened at about 7pm, Khao Lak Police Chief Col Suwat Kaewprom told The Phuket News.

The 64-year-old Swedish tourist*, from Enskede, outside Stockholm, was struck by the Honda Fino motorbike while walking across Phetkasem Rd at the southern end of the beach, Col Suwat explained.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/swedish-woman-killed-by-motorbike-while-crossing-khao-lak-highway-73595.php#rcPhl6CkHrQ3zBXE.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-11-12

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another tragedy on Thai roads. R.I.P.

“We want to warn tourists that the main road through Khao Lak is wide and it is poorly lit. Please be careful when crossing the road,” he added.

Would it not be better to improve the said lighting, to make it safer for  pedestrians, or is that asking too much ?

The road in question is 4 lanes wide (two each way) with just a double line as the divider. Absolutely crazy to attempt to cross, particularly after dark.

Couple with potentially looking the wrong way (Swedish) and we have a recipe for disaster, it's quite possible the biker stood no chance.

Car and bike riders should have a dashcam (helmet cam) at all times, could make the difference between being blamed for a death or not.

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

Car and bike riders should have a dashcam (helmet cam) at all times, could make the difference between being blamed for a death or not.

Let's start with REAL drivers licenses for all Thai first. Then some real police.....

14 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another tragedy on Thai roads. R.I.P.

“We want to warn tourists that the main road through Khao Lak is wide and it is poorly lit. Please be careful when crossing the road,” he added.

Would it not be better to improve the said lighting, to make it safer for  pedestrians, or is that asking too much ?

It's dodgy in day light hours as well.

Crossing a highway walking at night is never a good idea. Why giving all the blame to the bike rider ?

It's also possible that tourists just stepped on the road, without paying enough attention to the traffic.

I have found that and  Scandinavins  and Im one of them, who drive on the right hand side at home get all mixed up when it comes to left hand traffic. She could have been looking in the wrong direction. I seem to remember another Swedish or Dutch lady get killed there walking across a couple of years ago.

Maybe affix dash cam to forehead for riders w/o helmets? 

why no one raise issue if motorbike had a working headlight?

problem - pedestrians are generally not given right of way in thailand. No consideration or behavioral change given to walkers by drivers - see it everyday 

I have no idea what the facts or conditions were in the case so cannot comment specifically ... 

if it was a thai that was injured he would be paying lots of money for damage and cost for the hospital.the farang  is another story.i would ask was he drunk going to fast and the farang  what was she doing,i would be walking fast to get to other side.not hang around for sure.

Lots of experts here, does anyone actually know where this happened? As has been said, the lighting does look good there. Another person said he thought another death near there fairly recently.

I am commenting on the comments on this story that have only added ifs, buts and maybes?

The opportunity to bring in the Thai bashing is too strong for some of you, too. Really no need for it.

could happen to anyone, i was carefully and calmly crossing the road the other day, the bus in the bus lane stopped to let me cross then about six motorcyclists came careering round from behind the bus, with no way of knowing what was in front of the bus, and very nearly smashed into me, scary.

When I cross the streets here, I behave like an 80 year old grand mother. Look both ways, and then proceed with great caution. Drivers in Thailand have little respect for pedestrians, nor motorcyclists. If you are smaller than the car or truck coming at you, watch out. 

That is a pretty crappy outcome of her holiday. Anytime an innocent is killed it is tragic. 

15 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Tourists don't realize Thais don't stop for Zebra crossings. Had to grab some kid by his tshirt to stop him walking into right turn traffic in Hua Hin recently.

So true, and many drivers seem to think red lights are only a “recommendation” to stop.  

Danger not only lurks on Roads but your life is in danger walking on pavements which are meant for Pedestrians but utilized by Motor Bikes. This occurrence is truly sad when someone is killed whilst on tour however tourists should be warned that there are allegedly 60 plus deaths on Thailand's Roads daily. RIP lady.

9 minutes ago, Estrada said:

The golden rule for crossing the road here is: Look left, look right, look up, look down, look all around, give up, then find a foot bridge.

or carry an obstacle with you... (and plenty of Safety gear) 

image.jpeg.9572538181e97cba8b8e2737987fd62d.jpeg 

Most tourists come from countries that drive on the other side of the road. They are programmed to look in a different direction, so mistakes are made. I have done it in Lao, forgetting they drive on the other side of the road to LOS..

R.I.P Lady...

Archived