Swedish woman killed by motorbike while crossing Khao Lak highway

webfact

could happen to anyone, i was carefully and calmly crossing the road the other day, the bus in the bus lane stopped to let me cross then about six motorcyclists came careering round from behind the bus, with no way of knowing what was in front of the bus, and very nearly smashed into me, scary.

Instead of "careening around from behind the bus" why did they not slow down since they were approaching a blind spot? 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another tragedy on Thai roads. R.I.P.

“We want to warn tourists that the main road through Khao Lak is wide and it is poorly lit. Please be careful when crossing the road,” he added.

Would it not be better to improve the said lighting, to make it safer for  pedestrians, or is that asking too much ?

That reminds me........when they put a sign......”Bump Ahead”.

i wonder why........have the planning and execution to make and install the sign rather than remove the bump.

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

could happen to anyone, i was carefully and calmly crossing the road the other day, the bus in the bus lane stopped to let me cross then about six motorcyclists came careering round from behind the bus, with no way of knowing what was in front of the bus, and very nearly smashed into me, scary.

Happens all the time on Samui, even when a car stops or slows down, crazy impatient m/c riders just have to overtake regardless.

23 minutes ago, Blackmarble1 said:

could happen to anyone, i was carefully and calmly crossing the road the other day, the bus in the bus lane stopped to let me cross then about six motorcyclists came careering round from behind the bus, with no way of knowing what was in front of the bus, and very nearly smashed into me, scary.

Instead of "careening around from behind the bus" why did they not slow down since they were approaching a blind spot? 

There are no blind spots in LOS...Only, me, me, me first......????

1 minute ago, Huckenfell said:

Happens all the time on Samui, even when a car stops or slows down, crazy impatient m/c riders just have to overtake regardless.

I think they are to lazy to  take the feet off pedals and place them on the rd so they just keep going and swerving

Having spent a lifetime riding motorcycles ... I have little sympathy for anyone who wanders across a 4 lane highway at night and gets hit.  Motorcycles don't have two ultra bright headlights, or the advantage of just standing on a brake peddle in an emergency.  Even IF the rider saw here, he had about .025 seconds to react.  Many of you are simply saying "White lady hit by brown rider.  Brown rider bad"  I really pity you ... since that is the shade of the people whose country you are a GUEST in!

Why do people on here constantly say people are Thai bashing when they just talk facts and as for "it happens in every country" well the figures suggest it happens quite a lot more in Thailand. Trying to blame the victim is abhorrent and disgusting but some just can't help it. The poor woman was on holiday for god sake. 

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Why do people on here constantly say people are Thai bashing when they just talk facts and as for "it happens in every country" well the figures suggest it happens quite a lot more in Thailand. Trying to blame the victim is abhorrent and disgusting but some just can't help it. The poor woman was on holiday for god sake. 

Agree, we don't know if the motorbike was speeding, or if the poor woman was at fault, but blaming an innocent victim, or like some posters, suggesting that she was drunk, is just tasteless.

11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Agree, we don't know if the motorbike was speeding, or if the poor woman was at fault, but blaming an innocent victim, or like some posters, suggesting that she was drunk, is just tasteless.

A person crossing a 4 lane highway at night ... not in a designated crossing area. not in a well lit area ... is not an "innocent victim."  The "innocent victim" is the poor motorbike rider who probably was seriously hurt, and lost his bike in this process, and feels like <deleted> that he hurt someone.  By the way, did she NOT see HIM coming and get the F out of the way???

5 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

A person crossing a 4 lane highway at night ... not in a designated crossing area. not in a well lit area ... is not an "innocent victim."  The "innocent victim" is the poor motorbike rider who probably was seriously hurt, and lost his bike in this process, and feels like <deleted> that he hurt someone.  By the way, did she NOT see HIM coming and get the F out of the way???

You seem to be well informed, i guess that you know him and that you were on the scene then.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

You seem to be well informed, i guess that you know him and that you were on the scene then.

I don't need to know anyone in this story ... but I am willing to make a bet ... OK, try this ... A 60 year old Brit was riding a motorcycle at night, on a 4 lane highway, and in an unmarked area, hit a Thai man.  The court said the Brit had to pay 5 million Baht.  Willing to bet you would be first in queue to scream "But that idiot walked out in front of him, in the dark, on a highway! The BRIT is the victim here!"

3 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I don't need to know anyone in this story ... but I am willing to make a bet ... OK, try this ... A 60 year old Brit was riding a motorcycle at night, on a 4 lane highway, and in an unmarked area, hit a Thai man.  The court said the Brit had to pay 5 million Baht.  Willing to bet you would be first in queue to scream "But that idiot walked out in front of him, in the dark, on a highway! The BRIT is the victim here!"

You lost the bet.

14 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

You lost the bet.

Well then .. that is great ... we are on the same page ... an adult who decides to cross a 4 lane at night and get hit is the PROBLEM ... not the "innocent victim"  Happy we agree.  Have a good night, and look both ways before crossing in well lit designated crossing areas!

I often stop for pedestrians at crosswalks but many times I have stopped and the pedestrian starts to cross, only to realise that the cars and Motorbikes in the other lane are more than eager to run them over. The other thing is people behind me do not expect me to stop at a crosswalk, and then they speed around me, or even skid to a stop almost rear ending me.  There's no end to the Danger on Thai roads or predicting what the drivers will do.

5 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Well then .. that is great ... we are on the same page ... an adult who decides to cross a 4 lane at night and get hit is the PROBLEM ... not the "innocent victim"  Happy we agree.  Have a good night, and look both ways before crossing in well lit designated crossing areas!

Well, i consider her an innocent victim, in the same time i agree with you that a careless pedestrian can cause a lot of trouble and even death.

Personally i avoided a few accidents myself, just foreseeing some reckless behaviour from others, and i came to the conclusion that many accidents would not happen if at least one of the parties involved is careful.

In this case, probably the poor woman was not careful, and probably the rider was going too fast.

On 11/12/2019 at 3:13 PM, H1w4yR1da said:

Tourists don't realize Thais don't stop for Zebra crossings. Had to grab some kid by his tshirt to stop him walking into right turn traffic in Hua Hin recently.

This same thing happens in Toronto with immigrants who arrive. They run people over, pedestrians and cyclists.

They get a license in Canada then go back to their old habits of driving. Locals people do realize their streets have been taken over by foreigners.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:43 PM, H1w4yR1da said:

Tourists don't realize Thais don't stop for Zebra crossings. Had to grab some kid by his tshirt to stop him walking into right turn traffic in Hua Hin recently.

I've seen that as well often. Westerners automatically just believe the pedestrian has right of way at a zebra crossing and cars are expected to stop. Of course the Thais don't see it that way at all which makes zebra crossings a bit of a death trap rather than what they're supposed to be - a convenience.

12 minutes ago, Rufus Buck said:

I've seen that as well often. Westerners automatically just believe the pedestrian has right of way at a zebra crossing and cars are expected to stop. Of course the Thais don't see it that way at all which makes zebra crossings a bit of a death trap rather than what they're supposed to be - a convenience.

What exactly do Thais see?  In the time I have been here I suspect very little, driving on their roads here is like walking through a mine field.

16 hours ago, stjarna said:

I have found that and  Scandinavins  and Im one of them, who drive on the right hand side at home get all mixed up when it comes to left hand traffic. She could have been looking in the wrong direction. I seem to remember another Swedish or Dutch lady get killed there walking across a couple of years ago.

You are right. I had a hard time to ride a bike there. I almost got hit and killed a few times. But I take lots risks in traffic. I enjoy the adrenaline rush.

6 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

Well lit designated crossing areas? What a laugh. Have you even been to Thailand? I feel like i'm a contestant in Death Race 3000 every time i have to cross the road here. 

The Khao Lak road is a death trap. A highway that goes straight trough a tourist area. LOL. 

Not a pedestrian crossing, tunnel or bridge as far as the eye can see. 

Archived