Swedish woman killed by motorbike while crossing Khao Lak highway

webfact

4 hours ago, Don Chance said:
On 11/12/2019 at 3:43 AM, H1w4yR1da said:

Tourists don't realize Thais don't stop for Zebra crossings. Had to grab some kid by his tshirt to stop him walking into right turn traffic in Hua Hin recently.

This same thing happens in Toronto with immigrants who arrive. They run people over, pedestrians and cyclists.

They get a license in Canada then go back to their old habits of driving. Locals people do realize their streets have been taken over by foreigners.

Depending on where you are in the world, some zebra crossings convey a right of way to pedestrians (motorists must stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk), and others only mean it's legal to cross there- but they don't convey right of way.  Even in the USA, it varies between the states I've lived in.  Best to either learn the rules and customs, or err on the side of caution.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When I cross the streets here, I behave like an 80 year old grand mother. Look both ways, and then proceed with great caution. Drivers in Thailand have little respect for pedestrians, nor motorcyclists. If you are smaller than the car or truck coming at you, watch out. 

That is a pretty crappy outcome of her holiday. Anytime an innocent is killed it is tragic. 

I'm a 55 year old grandfather and cross the road in exactly the same way you described,

anywhere, and if I was in Europe or America where they drive on the wrong side of the

road, I look both ways multiple times.

Many years ago I went to France on a school trip, one unfortunate kid walked into the path

of a car and was very seriously injured as he thought it was safe to cross.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:00 PM, Crossy said:

The road in question is 4 lanes wide (two each way) with just a double line as the divider. Absolutely crazy to attempt to cross, particularly after dark.

I think the main issue with the safety of Khao Lak's main street is the fact that it is also the main Highway in that region (Highway Route 4). There are many trucks, buses and they are always travelling way too fast to be safe in that area.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:37 PM, cardinalblue said:

Maybe affix dash cam to forehead for riders w/o helmets? 

why no one raise issue if motorbike had a working headlight?

problem - pedestrians are generally not given right of way in thailand. No consideration or behavioral change given to walkers by drivers - see it everyday 

I have no idea what the facts or conditions were in the case so cannot comment specifically ... 

Walking across Thai roads- never. I always ran. Even if on a pedestrian crossing as they ignored them.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:43 PM, H1w4yR1da said:

Tourists don't realize Thais don't stop for Zebra crossings. Had to grab some kid by his tshirt to stop him walking into right turn traffic in Hua Hin recently.

My experience is that most Thais don't stop for anything, zebra crossings, red light, people crossing streets, you name it. 

On 11/13/2019 at 7:21 AM, Deli said:

Crossing a highway walking at night is never a good idea. Why giving all the blame to the bike rider ?

It's also possible that tourists just stepped on the road, without paying enough attention to the traffic.

In Vietnam they are experts at not hitting pedestrians by using their peripheral vision in day time or night time. 26,000 die a year on roads in Thailand. This Swede is only being made a fuss over because she's a foreigner. 

4 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Cry me a river. All farang know they're walking into a lions den before they arrive. The Brit only has himself to blame, and the many others electrocuted and caught up in the numerous scams. 

Which "Brit" are you talking about ?

..And the rest of your post is also not correct, many of the tourists come here for the first time, and they hardly have a clue of the dangers.

21 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Which "Brit" are you talking about ?

..And the rest of your post is also not correct, many of the tourists come here for the first time, and they hardly have a clue of the dangers.

Social media is awash with the mysterious deaths and countless scams in Thailand and that's why tourists prefer Vietnam. Vietnam drivers consciously try to stop hitting pedestrians, in Thailand they drive as if nobody else is on the road. It's a fact. You'd have to be stupid to go to Thailand unless you have a death wish. 

20 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Social media is awash with the mysterious deaths and countless scams in Thailand and that's why tourists prefer Vietnam. Vietnam drivers consciously try to stop hitting pedestrians, in Thailand they drive as if nobody else is on the road. It's a fact. You'd have to be stupid to go to Thailand unless you have a death wish. 

There are no perfect countries in this world;  perceptions may differ.

Millions of people come to Thailand every year and have a good time.

I would also like to visit Vietnam, but i would not expect it to be a paradise.

Archived