Alchohol Has Positive Effects Too

Khun Bob

A while a go I was told by a well qualified consultant that because I had raynold phenemonon and factor 5 leiden that a goo drink would be befeficial to me - ie better enableblood to flow.

This has never been my basis for drinking, but I do drink well over the recommended amount (2L+ quality whisky per week)

Still I guess it gives me a poor reason to justify my drinking. Still my life expantancy due to anothe problem is not that great, so I guess I enjoy using an easily available "tranquiliser" till other matters take their toll and a dignified death ensues.

Yes, but never forget that a condom cannot protect you from genital warts and other stds, if this is what gets you going.

Whereas alcohol can actually increase your longevity - this is of course dependent upon the quantity and the person !

Personally, I refuse to pay the "hansom man excess" and prefer to go to the TescoLotus Bar, where every little helps, for the rational, keen drinker of course !

Furthermore, given that I have n yesr to live, where n < 10, then I would prefer to spend most of the time comfortably numb, rather than have reality interfere more than necessary. Pink Floyd knew their stuff. Unless you know a source of morphine, that just takes everything away. Only time I had it was when the UK NHS didnt want to take my appendix out very quickly, and I was given morphine as a treat, that was nice.

But for anyone who has not contral, the main thing is to beleive in yourself. With that you can do anything. There are no limits, except the limits you impose on yourself.

Yes and it can make you very handsom man to girl on bar stool. Adds to the courage?

With the personal physician at his side, a man named Paul wrote to a patient named Timothy (who probably had a bad stomach), "Take a little wine now and again, for the infirmities of your stomach." A specific prescription by a physician who knew the patient, to only take a small amount of a weak alcoholic drink, only occasionally, and only for a known ailment. Hardly a license to drink over 2 liters of strong whiskey per week.

Mama got bone cancer, with less than six months to live. She got all the pain killers she wanted.

PeaceBlondie - not sure og the meaning - but as you guessed I'm intoxicated - in fact there is a strong correllation between posting on TV and intoxication for my self ! Well after 3 hours I have gone through .5 litre of whisky tonight and a few cans and my typings not so good but I feel ok.

Sorry to hear about your mother - I think her fate may well be the same as mine ! Its not a ice feeling knowing that I have lived most of my life already and only in my 30's. Maybe it is a consequce of liking the "Who" too much - stiil the band seem to have not died before they have gotten too old (well most of them anyway!)

Honestly, one high ranking, big money making medical consultant I saw said that alcholo is good for me, but he couldnt write that down on a report. Doesnt matter, twas the best advisce I ever had and had significant experience prior to the meeting.

Edited by Khun Bob

Posting that alchohol is good in a forum where it is deemed bad is not a good thing...

Still I need to understand if it is ThaiVisa that drives me to drink ? Writing openly and coherently is certainly helped by intoxication.

Research has shown that a moderate quantity of alcohol can extend the lifespan. It's also show that regular daily drinking is better than occasional. The best type of alcohol is red wine, with Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon being particularly good. A moderate amount is considered to be a glass a day.

How about a glass or two of red grape juice per day? How about 30 or 40 red grapes per day? How about leaving out the ethanol?

Because grape juice isn't the same as wine.

From the BBC website:

"Scientists may have discovered the reason why red wine appears to protect the heart.

Numerous studies have suggested that moderate alcohol drinking helps to reduce the likelihood of heart disease.

The so-called "Mediterranean diet", which includes a larger intake of wine, has been credited with lower rates of heart disease in those countries, despite a higher intake of saturated fats.

However, there is no clear evidence that red wine is any better than any other alcoholic drink.

But a team of scientists from Barts and the London School of Medicine, and the Queen Mary University in London, may have found a mechanism which points to the benefits of red wine.

They say it appears to interfere with the production of a body chemical which is vital to the process which clogs up arteries and increases the risk of a heart attack.

Wines tested

That chemical, a protein called endothelin-1 (ET-1), has already been shown to be involved in the formation of early signs of artery disease, such as the formation of fatty streaks on the walls of arteries.

Chemicals which work against it have been shown to reduce the rate of heart attacks in people who have heart disease.

The London team tested extracts from 23 red wines, four white wines, a rosé wine and one red non-alcoholic grape juice sample, after finding that certain chemicals - called polyphenols - from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes decreased the manufacture of ET-1 in bovine artery wall cells.

They found that, in the red wines, the amount they inhibited ET-1 ran parallel with the amount of these polyphenols they contained.

The white and rosé wines had no similar effect.

Cabernet the best

Dr Roger Corder, from the William Harvey Research Institute at St Barts, said: "What we are proposing is the mechanism that could explain why red wine is a better alcoholic beverage to consume than others.

"If you consume one glass of red wine and you have a good absorption of the active principle, that would be more than adequate."

He said that Cabernet Sauvignon-derived wines seemed to have the most impact.

The study is published in the journal Nature.

"

How about a glass or two of red grape juice per day? How about 30 or 40 red grapes per day? How about leaving out the ethanol?

30 to 40 red grapes might give you the sh1ts and leaving out the alcohol, the food won't taste as good... :o

• 2 months later...

Cabernet the best

Dr Roger Corder, from the William Harvey Research Institute at St Barts, said: "What we are proposing is the mechanism that could explain why red wine is a better alcoholic beverage to consume than others.

"If you consume one glass of red wine and you have a good absorption of the active principle, that would be more than adequate."

He said that Cabernet Sauvignon-derived wines seemed to have the most impact.

The study is published in the journal Nature.

"

Would any moderately dry, dark wine such as Merlot or Shiraz have similar benefits? They taste almost the same to me. I have a small glass about every other evening.

I have also though about grape juice but it is very high in sugar. That might not be any better than alcohol.

endure, the excerpt that you posted from the survey in London did not mention the results of the grape juice, nor does it answer my question about eating 30 to 40 red grapes per day. To answer Boon Mee's point, I eat those grapes with no stomach problems, but Mama always said I had a cast iron stomach.

However, since I had a stroke last month, I plan to drink red wine several times per week, just a couple of ounces. What is the sweetest red wine? It all tastes like vinegar to me. I prefer to lace creme de cacao with Hershey's chocolate syrup.

• 3 weeks later...

My Parents drink a glass of red wine every day...they are both in reasonable health.

They NEVER exceed this amount.

If I was told to drink red wine because it was good for me- that would be a great excuse to drink a whole bottle !!

• 1 month later...
This has never been my basis for drinking, but I do drink well over the recommended amount (2L+ quality whisky per week)

Dear Khun Bob, would it not better, if you exchanged that amount of licker into the same amount of water each day?

I wish you well.

Well, another TVisa poster served me Spy Black Wine (wine cooler, sparkling) and it was sweet enough, just barely. I drink about half of one of those little 275 ml bottles every night, as medicine (it's still nasty tasting). But if I ever got a doctor who told me to drink more than two liters of whiskey per week, I'd get myself a new doctor!

Punch that kills cancer

A QUEENSLAND-made punch packed with anti-oxidants killed the cells of five different cancers in clinical tests, it has been claimed.

Prostate, breast, bladder, colon and stomach cancer cells were all dramatically reduced after just two weeks of treatment with Dr Red's Blueberry Punch.

"It was a very significant drop in cell numbers, and we found that the more concentrated the dose (of punch), the greater the reduction in cancer cells," said University of Sydney research fellow Dr Jas Singh.

Dr Singh's team also injected immuno-deficient mice with prostate cancer cells, and after two weeks, found the tumours were 30 per cent smaller.

Brisbane urologists Doctor John Yaxley and Professor Robert Gardiner now plan to take the tests a step further, by undertaking human trials in partnership with the University of Queensland. Up to 150 prostate patients are expected to participate at the invitation of their doctor.

"It will be up to their urologist whether they think the patient is appropriate," said Professor Gardiner, who hoped to begin the trials in the next few months.

Dr Red's owner, biochemist Greg Jardine, said he never set out to make a medicinal product – only a wine with three times the anti-oxidants of standard drinks.

"It wasn't our idea. It was the market. People would say 'I'm going to take this wine for my cancer' and I'd say 'No, it's just wine'," said Mr Jardine, from his Mount Nebo vineyard.

The punch contains a range of anti-oxidant rich ingredients including ginger and turmeric juices, the pulp of oranges, lemons, mandarins and limes, grapes, grapeseed and grape skin, as well as tarragon and blueberries – lots of blueberries.

"We use a quarter of a kilo of blueberries in every (750ml) bottle. We go through about a tonne a week," Mr Jardine said.

He said he was trying to keep the cost of the punch down, but the price of ingredients made that difficult.

"It's not cheap. It works out at about $1.15 a glass, and there are 30 glasses in every $40 bottle. We recommend 25ml a day, but in the trial they were using three glasses a day," he said.

Brisbane dietician Nicola Fox said it was pleasing to see a product prepared to undergo scientific tests. "There's lots of natural products that make all sorts of claims, but they're yet to be tested," Ms Fox said.

http://www.news.com.au/sundaymail/story/0,...678-952,00.html

• 4 weeks later...
My Parents drink a glass of red wine every day...they are both in reasonable health.

They NEVER exceed this amount.

If I was told to drink red wine because it was good for me- that would be a great excuse to drink a whole bottle !!

I wanna party with you dude. A Python freak like you is OK in my book. :o

• 1 month later...

Vodka-drip feed saves tourist

Jessica Marszalek

October 10, 2007 12:00am

DOCTORS used a case of vodka to help save an Italian tourist being treated for poisoning in a Queensland hospital.

And hospital authorities later proved very understanding about the booze bill.

The 24-year-old man was brought to Mackay Base Hospital, in north Queensland, two months ago after he had ingested a large amount of the poisonous substance ethylene glycol, found in antifreeze, which can cause renal failure and is often fatal.

In details just released by the hospital, Dr Pascal Gelperowicz, who led the man's treatment with Dr Todd Fraser, said the man was unconscious on arrival and his treatment was started immediately with pharmaceutical-grade alcohol, which works as an antidote to the poison.

But the hospital's alcohol supplies were soon exhausted.

"We quickly used all the available vials of 100 per cent alcohol and decided the next best way to get alcohol into the man's system was by feeding him spirits through a naso-gastric tube," Dr Gelperowicz said.

Dr Fraser said while the treatment was unconventional, it was very successful, with the patient having now made a full recovery.

"The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit," he said. :o

"The hospital's administrators were also very understanding when we explained our reasons for buying a case of vodka."

It's believed the man was poisoned when attempting self-harm.

Source http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...23-3102,00.html