Advice re pre nup agreement in Thailand

MarkW123

Hi all 

I’m thinking of getting married second time around I’m gonna enter into a pre nup with my gf. 

I can have this drawn up in the UK but any idea which law firm in Bangkok can go through this with her?

any suggestions and or advice gratefully received 

cheers

Why don’t you just hide your assets and underplay your wealth? My concern is that a pre nup might lull you into a false sense of security ... you might bring too much into Thailand only to later discover that it’s not worth the paper it’s is written on. 

On 11/13/2019 at 11:17 AM, buffallobill said:

Anything you owned before you got married is yours if you split up, keep everything in England, you have nothing to worry about 

I was told the same by a Thai lawyer. Although you both just have to list what you own before you marry. Thai divorce simply splits community assets (those gained during marriage) 50/50 and anything you owned before getting married is not included. I read on here once that there is a form at the Amphur you can fill in before getting married although I've never seen one.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:17 PM, buffallobill said:

Anything you owned before you got married is yours if you split up, keep everything in England, you have nothing to worry about 

I thought that should be the Thai way in marriage. However it would be wise then to put that on paper and have it signed by her and witnessed by lawyer.

You guys talk like you assume he is going to live in Thailand but what if he wants to take her back to UK? 

I think I read somewhere where you need to have a prenup translated to Thai and it needs to be reviewed/explained to her in private by her with her own a lawyer. 

All your people who don't want to ever get married again should not even reply to a question like this.   and what kind of a stupid comment is ...here comes another one?

I say here comes a smart one.  you know most men have a desire to live with one woman and marriage works out good when you need to get a Visa.   

On 11/13/2019 at 3:17 AM, buffallobill said:

Wife doesn't need half you assets, she will take out Life insurance on you and just bide her time.... or? 

So you will not have children? Will not build a house? Will not buy a car?

On 11/13/2019 at 8:09 AM, BritManToo said:

Uk doesn't recognise prenups.

Best not to get married.

Yes it does....under certain circumstances - a quick Google search revealed:

https://www.divorce-online.co.uk/help-and-advice/guide-to-prenups-in-the-uk/ 

or

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/are-prenuptial-agreements-fair-or-unromantic.htm

Here https://www.familylaw.co.uk/news_and_comment/analysis-nuptial-agreements it says "While nuptial agreements have no statutory footing in England and Wales (laws are different in England and Wales and Scotland), they are likely to be upheld by the English courts if they are drawn up properly and meet the required safeguards. "

On 11/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, buffallobill said:

yeah, not like silly farang countries where "whats urs will be mine"

On 11/13/2019 at 11:07 PM, Captain 776 said:

They just keep coming.

young

dumb

full of come

or........ old and lonely

hey,  i did it once .  if you want to bring her to live in your country it is easiest way.

If you want to live here.....  tie a string around your wrists and say  "till string breaks do we part"

you start from wrong idea of prenup--the point is protect your  ass and be ready for trouble--for example your dick will stop working and she will use this as excuse for something or your income drop or how money will work in family or you have religions problem--in short there are about millions of variables involved and you worry about your money just in case.

simple answer is hire woman as a gf and pay her monthly.

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2019 at 7:50 PM, Elkski said:

You guys talk like you assume he is going to live in Thailand but what if he wants to take her back to UK? 

I think I read somewhere where you need to have a prenup translated to Thai and it needs to be reviewed/explained to her in private by her with her own a lawyer. 

If he's foolish enough to take her back to the UK he's screwed anyway.

If the OP is even thinking pre nup, then it's not worth it at all.

Second time doesn't make it a better time.

On 11/16/2019 at 3:12 AM, VBF said:

Yes it does....under certain circumstances - a quick Google search revealed:

https://www.divorce-online.co.uk/help-and-advice/guide-to-prenups-in-the-uk/ 

or

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/are-prenuptial-agreements-fair-or-unromantic.htm

Here https://www.familylaw.co.uk/news_and_comment/analysis-nuptial-agreements it says "While nuptial agreements have no statutory footing in England and Wales (laws are different in England and Wales and Scotland), they are likely to be upheld by the English courts if they are drawn up properly and meet the required safeguards. "

Ie, must pay expensive lawyers. Why bother with any of it?

Have a village wedding and walk away when it all turns to burnt cheese.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:17 PM, buffallobill said:

I can confirm this since I studied law (Thai laws) for many many years ago. Thai civil laws don't make it difficult to people, that's why we don't have many problems when divorce like in the West. According to Thai law very thing you owned before married is always yours, and every thing you earn and build up together after married have to divide between the couple when they divorce.

I'm not sure if the English laws apply if you marry in Thailand, or just Thai laws.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:50 PM, Jaggg88 said:

I was told the same by a Thai lawyer. Although you both just have to list what you own before you marry. Thai divorce simply splits community assets (those gained during marriage) 50/50 and anything you owned before getting married is not included. I read on here once that there is a form at the Amphur you can fill in before getting married although I've never seen one.

I can confirm that that's the case in Thailand with Thai Civil Law. I was a law student before I move to Europe, thus no degree in law from Thailand, but  a degree in business management from Europe.

Archived