What’s the process for getting married in Bangkok?

MarkW123

Hello

My girlfriend and I had a baby last year and Obviously I’d like to be with my son and her.

As I’m unable to relocate to Bangkok then she will need to come here. The advice I’ve received on here so far is that for that to happen she’ll need a settlement visa and in order to get that, we likely will have to get married. 

Anyone know what the process is for doing this ? I’ve been married before in the UK but am now divorced and have original decree absolute 

thanks in anticipation of your helpful suggestions 

cheers 

I got marry in Bangkok 30 years ago and had to get permission from my embassy first. Just a matter of going there and then signing a form in which you need . You will need your divorce papers also. Be prepared for a long process of getting your wife to the uk. Most likely six months to a year. At least that what it is for my country. 

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

You will definitely need your divorce papers translated at a proper shop and stamped. They will be able to tell you more.

That’s not correct, to obtain an affirmation of freedom to marry from you need to provide evidence to the appropriate Embassy that you’re free to marry, in the OP’s case that would be the divorce absolute, which would need to be in English.

It’s the affirmation of freedom to marry that needs to be translated into Thai and certified by the MFA.

38 minutes ago, legendcat said:

I got marry in Bangkok 30 years ago and had to get permission from my embassy first. Just a matter of going there and then signing a form in which you need . You will need your divorce papers also. Be prepared for a long process of getting your wife to the uk. Most likely six months to a year. At least that what it is for my country. 

Not wishing to be pedantic but you don’t get permission from the Embassy, you need to swear an affirmation that you’re free to do so, and that’s done at the appropriate Embassy.

I agree with your other observations.

You will need a computer and a printer to make life easy. Go to www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand  Here you will find a template for the Affirmation of Marital Status. Fill in, print off but DO NOT sign. Book an appointment at the British Embassy via www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y  Take your completed form with your original decree absolute and passport to the appointment. That is where you sign the Affirmation in front of the staff and they will photocopy your passport. These will be returned after being officially stamped.

Then go to the MFA. On entry go upstairs and in front of you will be an agent who will do the translating, presenting to MFA and posting back via EMS to your address. Not expensive but easier than having to return to MFA in 2 or 3 days to collect the documents. If you do the Embassy first thing in the morning then go straight to MFA you can be out just before lunch if using the Agent to do everything.

Then you take these documents to the Amphur where you are getting married. I would advise you to use her local office as this may negate the necessity of them returning the documents to MFA for verifying. This can add up to 3 to 4 weeks to the process and was introduced because of sham marriages. Not all Amphurs do this but most in Bangkok will!!

(If you are not a UK citizen then you do the same with your own Embassy.)

19 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

Its called dont do it

Really, that is the usual stupid comment we do get on this Forum from time to time regarding marriage unfortunately. The OP quite clearly states: 

My girlfriend and I had a baby last year and Obviously I’d like to be with my son and her.

As I’m unable to relocate to Bangkok then she will need to come here. The advice I’ve received on here so far is that for that to happen she’ll need a settlement visa and in order to get that, we likely will have to get married. 

Archived