BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

A Black Man Was Handcuffed For Eating A Sandwich At A Train Station. Officials Are Now Apologizing.

A black man who was waiting to catch a train to work was handcuffed and cited for eating a breakfast sandwich on a train station platform in California last Monday, sparking protests and "eat-ins" at the station over the weekend.

The backlash prompted Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) general manager Bob Powers to issue an apology Monday, saying that while the officer who stopped and detained the man was doing his job, he was "disappointed [with] how the situation unfolded."

In a now-viral video posted to Facebook on Friday, BART police officers are seen detaining the man, identified in local media reports as Steve Foster, who was eating on the platform at the Pleasant Hill station.

The video shows the officer holding on to the man's backpack as the two argue.

"You are detained and you're not free to go," the officer says.

"You came up here and <deleted> with me," Foster says. "You singled me out, out of all these people."

"You're eating," the officer says.

"Yeah, so what," Foster responds.

"It's against the law," the officer says. "I tried to explain that to you ... I have the right to detain you."

The two continue to argue while the officer waits for backup. Foster's friend, who filmed the video, points out that there aren't any signs that say passengers can't eat on the platform.

"Why is there a store downstairs selling food if we're not allowed to eat up here?" she says. "Where is there a sign up here that says we can't eat on the platform? We know we can't eat on the train."

"I do this every morning, bro," Foster adds.

At one point, after the officer says he's being detained, Foster says, "I don't feel detained. I feel harassed. That's what I feel."

After a little more than eight minutes, three other officers show up and handcuff Foster before walking him down the platform and through the station.

Full article

• Sad 1

the racist media makes a big deal of it because it was a black man. you'll never see the media report a white man being arrested for the same thing. shame on you.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

"Enforcement of infractions, such as eating and drinking inside our paid area,

seriously ?

no eating outside the "paid" area ???

who makes up stupid rules like that ?

• Like 2

Wow,

In the UK we buy our sandwiches and beer and wine from the onsite kiosk.

You can eat and drink on the platform or the train.

Many of us from the North when traveling to London buy from the shops up North where it is far cheaper, put it in a bag and eat and drink all day at sensible money, unlike the rip offs in London, who gouge visitors and their wallets.

I thought the USA boasted about being the ' Land of the Free? '

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Catoholic said:

the racist media makes a big deal of it because it was a black man. you'll never see the media report a white man being arrested for the same thing. shame on you.

Do you have ever seen a video like this where a white man was handcuffed? Usually, I guess in this case also, a video goes viral and then the media start writing about it. 

• Confused 1

California laws boggle the mind...they now have a District Attorney in San Francisco that says no one should go to jail.

They harbor illegal aliens who have criminal records, commit more crimes, and refuse to turn them over to Federal Authorities to be deported.

San Francisco was once one of the most beautiful cities in the word.  One now has to step over homeless people, needles, and excrement...one women interviewed on TV this week claims a vagrant threw feces on her as she walked by trying to get to work...

Is this what becomes of America as liberal politicians make policy?  😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Catoholic said:

A white man arrested for eating a sandwich...lol! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manarak said:

who makes up stupid rules like that ?

White men.

That think a black man might do it. 

• Haha 2

really was out of control.  I hope the black man sues for slander and defamation of character at the very least.  Like he says, they have food vendors all along and on the BART property !

You can't eat on the platform buy you can <deleted> on the street. 

• Like 1