Tip at Christmas to condo staff

OzMan

I suggest a modest food or small buffet be put out for them. Maybe buy a large prepared fruit or cheese and nuts platter, something along those lines.  A few thousand baht can buy a pretty good sized sweets or snack platter.  Go with Thai foods or western stuff.  Whatever Big C or Tesco has available.  Many platters are prepared or you or your wife can make up their own thingy.   In the extended stay place I stayed at, I got one of those big valentine day type cookies they make fresh at the mall.  The thing was like 15 inches across and fed the staff for like three days before they finally finished it.  Put it in the area behind the desk or where the help can get to it, and NOT the tenants.  I made a thank you card so they would know who gave it.   Put enough so it is likely to last across shifts so all or most workers get a shot at it. 

Your GF is VERY generous on your dime, that will make HER look good, don't bother, Christmas tims are not common and unnecessary, and you will not get better attention from the staff just because your GF forked your money...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I suggest a modest food or small buffet be put out for them. Maybe buy a large prepared fruit or cheese and nuts platter, something along those lines. 

We have a neighbor, a Thai Catholic doctor, that throws a Christmas party every year, for his staff and those in our mu baan. He provides Thai entrees, desserts, beer and soft drinks. No gifts or money is passed out.

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Are all ten members of staff her 'brothers'??

I'm usually a lot less critical of Thai women. Most that I have known have been fine, honest, sweet ladies. However, ... 

Thais often exchange gifts over New Years. The fact that she has chosen Christmas seems like she is appealing to your sensibilities, not any expectation of the workers.

Five thousand baht !?! 

All my in-laws are successful professionals. Over the new year, they may hand out nominal gifts to staff and associates, nothing nearing 5,000 baht. 

Does she spend a lot of time at the condo while you are away at work? She may be hanging out with the help. 

It really seems like you could be played here. Say "no" and judge by the reaction.

2 hours ago, OzMan said:

I live in a high class condo and the service is good, but 50,000 baht in tips?

My sister-in-law owns a nice condo. No plans to tip. At 5,000 baht each, with her complex's staff, she could buy another unit! 

Hasn't suggested her boyfriend tip any of his condo's staff either.

Pool.jpg

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

I think many people do give a gift at Christmas whether it be a basket, some snacks to share etc.

5,000 per head seems a little extreme but i have seen it done before, i suppose its up to you on whether you can afford it, or want to do that.

Personally i think some kanom or a few thousand baht into the pot which will be divided up among staff is sufficient.

Whenever i head away i normally bring back a few snacks for them to gorge on throughout the year which they seem to appreciate.

Maybe that was mentioned already but I would look what others pay.

In my condominium they have a list who paid how much.

I guess if you pay nothing or considerably less than most that wouldn't help with the staff for the future. Because likely they will be able to see such a list - if it exist in your condominium.

But if you pay (a lot) more than other residents then maybe those other residents won't be happy that you raise the amounts.

Summary, at least from my point of view: Pay a similar amount like everybody else. 

• Sad 1