Tip at Christmas to condo staff

OzMan

At our condo the staff get a one month bonus that comes out of the co-owner pool and gets voted on and always approved every year at the annual general meeting for the next year. At the AGM we also allocate funds for a staff party. Occasionally my wife will give some cookies to the guards around but never have tipped any of our staff.  

• Thanks 1

I always give the staff at my condo 100 baht each, on xmas day 

I find the security staff, front office staff, the cleaners.....and just hand it to them, takes me a few days in all as there is about 30 of them all up,, they greatly appreciate it and I don’t begrudge the workers a little bit of cheer.....I know it’s only 3000 baht all up once a year but well spent...........a little kindness goes a long way.

• Like 1

Ok this has to be a troll post. No way a thai woman would ask you to give away 50,000 baht except to her family or if she has a deal with the staff to get half of what you give. You are basically being asked to give an almost two week pay bonus to every employee.  ???? LMAO

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

At my condo they have a Christmas party - or maybe a year end party. And everybody living in the condominium is asked for a donation. That money is used to buy presents. And then the staff has a party and a lottery for those presents.

It seems many people give in the 500B to 2000B range (for all the staff together). 

In principle I think "why not"? If I have 1000B less in the pocket I basically don't notice it. But for them it makes a difference.

Maybe your gf wants to be remembered as the most generous person in that building. And I am sure everybody would remember you and her in a very positive light. But I guess that will also happen with a lot less money. And I guess if you would spend i.e. 50k this year then everybody will have high expectations for next year. Then dare to pay less...

It sounds far too much. That said when we have gone out to various bars/clubs in the Uk with a big bunch of hard partying Thai girls and their partners the strategy is to tip a waiting staff up-front with say 50 quid. We then get perfect service throughout the night and have got free food , free bottles of wine etc often far in excess of the upfront tip as well as one happy waiter/waitress who are probably fed up of stingy split the bill farangs.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

give them 100 baht each and wish them a happy Christmas.

give the gf a smack in the chops and show her the door and wish her a happy Christmas.

papa does that

100baht

x30 staff

=$100.

they happy

papa Karma ++

the real issue here is that the so called 'gf' wants his money to go into

the pockets of insignificant others.

from this i extract that she is not a gf, but is paid a monthly salary,

she couldnt care less of his economy, or him, so she is also not expecting

to inherit him, she expect this relation to expire before he dies

Edited by brokenbone

Your GF is living on another planet. Donate 2,000 total for a holiday feast. If she wants to give them more, she can pay herself from her own money. Most Thais rarely tip anyway. 

If she disagrees, move on. You are getting some bad advice from her. 

One might ask, what is the point of living with someone who DOES NOT have your back?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh yeah because Thais love cheese.

That used to be the case, I've always got some nice cheeses in the fridge I've got Thai friends who eat Stilton and thats not cheap in Thailand maybe they like it because it stinks......?

• Haha 1