BANGKOK
webfact

Chulalongkorn U allows transgender students to wear female uniform

Chulalongkorn U allows transgender students to wear female uniform

Trans-uniform.jpg

It was a dream come true for Ince Jirapat, a transgender student at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Education, when the administration finally agreed to allow transgender students to the wear female uniform.

On November 15th 2018, Jirapat was forbidden to wear the female uniform in class and was insulted by a special lecturer. The incident ignited a determination to fight for gender equality.  Jirapat sought help from human rights activists, a sexual diversity group and transgender alumni of Chulalongkorn University.

Via Facebook on Sunday, Jirapat thanked Arissara Hongsup, the first Chulalongkorn University transgender graduate, for introducing Nada Chaiyajit, the first Phayao University transgender graduate and gender rights activist.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chulalongkorn-u-allows-transgender-students-to-wear-female-uniform/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

i assumed that was the norm in thailand now.military entry interview is  they come as a lady then get a  pass and go home.so i thought the uni was in the same boat.maybe i,am wrong on this rule

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, anterian said:

I wonder what happens when a transgender male goes through airport security and get patted down by a female officer who finds an unexpected object under her dress. 

Unfulfilled fantasies?

• Haha 1

....hmmm I thought this would be more about what toilet approval they received...

1 hour ago, anterian said:

I wonder what happens when a transgender male goes through airport security and get patted down by a female officer who finds an unexpected object under her dress. 

My guess, nothing.

• Like 1

guess chula staff ladyboys must still adhere to genotypically correct attire thus the one wearing a <deleted> and tie

In 2019 it’s no big deal and a good decision. If someone feels more comfortable at work or college that’s a good outcome.

I’m less comfortable with those that insist on weird titles like “ze”, “they”, and other nutty ways of defining themselves ... although I’ll give hermaphrodites a pass on that one.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

i assumed that was the norm in thailand now.military entry interview is  they come as a lady then get a  pass and go home.so i thought the uni was in the same boat.maybe i,am wrong on this rule

makes one wonder why there are any rules at all

For perfectly understandable reasons, we are not told whether Jirapat has dispensed with her standard-issue male equipment.

If not, which toilets and changing rooms 'she' uses could become a bone(r) of contention. Or don't Thai universities and parents believe in the need to have "safe spaces" for girls?

This story begs a more fundamental question - what is the difference between a trans woman and a ladyboy? 

• Like 1

The last time I looked the times rated Chula over 800 in the world and 176 best, or worst in Asia. They would do better improving their educational standing rather than look at us we are so inclusive PR events

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

For perfectly understandable reasons, we are not told whether Jirapat has dispensed with her standard-issue male equipment.

If not, which toilets and changing rooms 'she' uses could become a bone(r) of contention. Or don't Thai universities and parents believe in the need to have "safe spaces" for girls?

This story begs a more fundamental question - what is the difference between a trans woman and a ladyboy? 

Dont ask

39 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

What about female to male transgender people?

I find it incredible that University students wear a "uniform", this appears to be some sort archaic thing.