Chulalongkorn U allows transgender students to wear female uniform

webfact

Chulalongkorn U allows transgender students to wear female uniform

Trans-uniform.jpg

It was a dream come true for Ince Jirapat, a transgender student at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Education, when the administration finally agreed to allow transgender students to the wear female uniform.

On November 15th 2018, Jirapat was forbidden to wear the female uniform in class and was insulted by a special lecturer. The incident ignited a determination to fight for gender equality.  Jirapat sought help from human rights activists, a sexual diversity group and transgender alumni of Chulalongkorn University.

Via Facebook on Sunday, Jirapat thanked Arissara Hongsup, the first Chulalongkorn University transgender graduate, for introducing Nada Chaiyajit, the first Phayao University transgender graduate and gender rights activist.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chulalongkorn-u-allows-transgender-students-to-wear-female-uniform/

thaipbs.jpg

In 2019 it’s no big deal and a good decision. If someone feels more comfortable at work or college that’s a good outcome.

I’m less comfortable with those that insist on weird titles like “ze”, “they”, and other nutty ways of defining themselves ... although I’ll give hermaphrodites a pass on that one.

3 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

i assumed that was the norm in thailand now.military entry interview is  they come as a lady then get a  pass and go home.so i thought the uni was in the same boat.maybe i,am wrong on this rule

makes one wonder why there are any rules at all

For perfectly understandable reasons, we are not told whether Jirapat has dispensed with her standard-issue male equipment.

If not, which toilets and changing rooms 'she' uses could become a bone(r) of contention. Or don't Thai universities and parents believe in the need to have "safe spaces" for girls?

This story begs a more fundamental question - what is the difference between a trans woman and a ladyboy? 

35 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

For perfectly understandable reasons, we are not told whether Jirapat has dispensed with her standard-issue male equipment.

If not, which toilets and changing rooms 'she' uses could become a bone(r) of contention. Or don't Thai universities and parents believe in the need to have "safe spaces" for girls?

This story begs a more fundamental question - what is the difference between a trans woman and a ladyboy? 

Dont ask

39 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

What about female to male transgender people?

I find it incredible that University students wear a "uniform", this appears to be some sort archaic thing.

43 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

How much they charge?

17 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I find it incredible that University students wear a "uniform", this appears to be some sort archaic thing.

Agree with you about the uniform issue. Not sure I understand your reference to female-to-male trans folk.  Can you elucidate, please?

8 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Agree with you about the uniform issue. Not sure I understand your reference to female-to-male trans folk.  Can you elucidate, please?

There does not appear in the photograph of any female ( designated at birth) to male(affirmed gender) persons.

There are many female to male transgender persons across the world, have also seen many in Thailand.

Also some transgender have full surgical procedures, others choose not to undergo surgery for their affirmed gender transition.

36 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

There does not appear in the photograph of any female ( designated at birth) to male(affirmed gender) persons.

There are many female to male transgender persons across the world, have also seen many in Thailand.

Also some transgender have full surgical procedures, others choose not to undergo surgery for their affirmed gender transition.

I know what a female to male trans person is.

I am also aware that, in these "progressive" times, one can choose any option from a dolly mixture of genders, irrespective of one's biological sex.

What puzzles me is what any of this has to do with the specific question I posed, namely: The difference between a trans woman and a lady-boy?

8 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

iI know what a female to male trans person is.

I am also aware that, in these "progressive" times, one can choose any option from a dolly mixture of genders, irrespective of one's biological sex.

What puzzles me is what any of this has to do with the specific question I posed, namely: The difference between a trans woman and a lady-boy?

I was not responding to that question. MY post was about it appears from the photograph only "females identfied" persons are visible with the exception of the person who appears to be an employee.

I guess it is a matter of how the individual chooses to identify, do they see themselves as female, or is their identity as a male "being seen as female for commercial purposes"? 

I suppose the answer would be purely individual, depending on their social interactions, education, political views, peer groups.

I personally dislike the term "ladyboy", but I am looking at that from a very western perspective

8 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I was not responding to that question. MY post was about it appears from the photograph only "females identfied" persons are visible with the exception of the person who appears to be an employee.

I guess it is a matter of how the individual chooses to identify, do they see themselves as female, or is their identity as a male "being seen as female for commercial purposes"? 

I suppose the answer would be purely individual, depending on their social interactions, education, political views, peer groups.

I personally dislike the term "ladyboy", but I am looking at that from a very western perspective

Thanks for the explanation.

33 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

I know what a female to male trans person is.

i am born a caucasion male but now identify as a female navajo american indian circa 1700. why can't i attend classes in garb? (see pic)

ps; this is not at all a troll post

navajo.jpeg

54 minutes ago, tifino said:

All good! - so long as it is willing to accept female pay rates, once they enter the work force...

I don't believe anyone should be willing to accept "female pay rates" in todays workplace.

6 hours ago, atyclb said:

i am born a caucasion male but now identify as a female navajo american indian circa 1700. why can't i attend classes in garb? (see pic)

ps; this is not at all a troll post

navajo.jpeg

Sorry, you're banned. One look at what your wearing and everyone else in the class would be scurrying to find a safe space.

Not because of your sweet outfit, but in protest at the red and white cross displayed on your bonnet.

Or didn't you know the English flag is now regarded is a symbol of colonialism and white supremacy?

(And you claim not to be trolling!).

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

There are pros and cons to wearing uniforms at schools.  Some studies strongly suggest it is better overall as it keeps poorer students or those that can't afford certain clothing from being shamed or bullied by richer kids that may dress more affluently.  I personally don't like the uniform idea.  I grew up in the 60s and we wore whatever we had.  In retrospect I do remember some kids looking pretty ragged, but nobody ever called anybody out on it.  There was no big social media or reality shows or glamor <deleted> ads all over the internet since there was no internet, no smart phones, no constant chatting etc.  When we got with other people that alone was usually something new for the day.  Much more social

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

There are pros and cons to wearing uniforms at schools.  Some studies strongly suggest it is better overall as it keeps poorer students or those that can't afford certain clothing from being shamed or bullied by richer kids that may dress more affluently.  I personally don't like the uniform idea.  I grew up in the 60s and we wore whatever we had.  In retrospect I do remember some kids looking pretty ragged, but nobody ever called anybody out on it.  There was no big social media or reality shows or glamor <deleted> ads all over the internet since there was no internet, no smart phones, no constant chatting etc.  When we got with other people that alone was usually something new for the day.  Much more social

First up best dressed in our house when we were kids 

Archived