Jump to content
BANGKOK
SheungWan

'Confirmation of legal residence in the UK'

Recommended Posts

What documentation is considered acceptable for O visa (or any other presumably) for the requirement 'confirming legal residence in the UK' ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UK passport does it I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a British Citizen with a UK passport I think people are just uploading their passport...if it's for the e-visa website.

 

(Note to self; Fife council have just sent us a pack for doing a proxy vote. I'll have a look through that and see if there is anything worth keeping as secondary evidence as well, when I get back next week)

Edited by UKresonant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a question about a non-UK citizen applying for a Thai Non-immigrant type O (and any other presumably) visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or a Thai Consulate in the UK?

 

or

 

Is this a question about a non-resident and not ordinarily resident UK citizen applying for a Thai Non-immigrant type O (and any other presumably) visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or a Thai Consulate in the UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Is this a question about a non-resident and not ordinarily resident UK citizen applying for a Thai Non-immigrant type O (and any other presumably) visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or a Thai Consulate in the UK?

That is the reason for that to be uploaded but the file uploads do not say that. If nothing is uploaded then the application will not go through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Is this a question about a non-UK citizen applying for a Thai Non-immigrant type O (and any other presumably) visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or a Thai Consulate in the UK?

 

or

 

Is this a question about a non-resident and not ordinarily resident UK citizen applying for a Thai Non-immigrant type O (and any other presumably) visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or a Thai Consulate in the UK?

Neither. This is a question re a UK citizen application, normally resident in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Neither. This is a question re a UK citizen application, normally resident in the UK.

OK. I was thrown by...

 

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

for O visa (or any other presumably)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

UK passport does it I believe.

No, unfortunately the passport will not prove it.

UK Citizens have a passport but there are many who are non-resident. I have been non-resident for about 20 years.

If you do a tax return you have to declare if you are resident or not.

However i doubt it would prove you are resident or not. 

Some organisations in uk use the electoral register to check.

Normally proof of residence is accepted if you show bank statements and utility bills in your own name for an address. 

I guess that is recommended however i guess that payment or proof of council tax payment should count.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legal and residence are two separate things that must be proved separately.

 

The legal part can be confirmed by a passport.

 

The residence part can be confirmed by a tax return, Council Tax and Utility bill receipts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Some organisations in uk use the electoral register to check.

That puts me in a strange position of not being able to obtain a Visa as a non-resident then! I am sure I read a UK passport would do the job though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, saengd said:

Legal and residence are two separate things that must be proved separately.

 

The legal part can be confirmed by a passport.

 

The residence part can be confirmed by a tax return, Council Tax and Utility bill receipts.

How ill thought through is this nonsensical visa system? Bear in mind that at present Chinese, French and British applicants have to apply using the exact same system, yet have completely different languages, documentations... And they want to roll this one size fits all application system out worldwide?

Idiocy. The sooner it either crashes and burns or Thailand is bereft of visitors the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, baboon said:

How ill thought through is this nonsensical visa system? Bear in mind that at present Chinese, French and British applicants have to apply using the exact same system, yet have completely different languages, documentations... And they want to roll this one size fits all application system out worldwide?

Idiocy. The sooner it either crashes and burns or Thailand is bereft of visitors the better.

My error, apologies.

Edited by saengd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, saengd said:

My error, apologies.

Not your fault their system is preposterously bad... Unless you invented it in which case you are straight off to hell.😎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jojothai said:

No, unfortunately the passport will not prove it.

UK Citizens have a passport but there are many who are non-resident. I have been non-resident for about 20 years.

If you do a tax return you have to declare if you are resident or not.

However i doubt it would prove you are resident or not. 

Some organisations in uk use the electoral register to check.

Normally proof of residence is accepted if you show bank statements and utility bills in your own name for an address. 

I guess that is recommended however i guess that payment or proof of council tax payment should count.

 

I have lived in Thailand for over 10 years and when I contacted HMRC they declared that I was a Non resident and Not ordinarily resident after being here just 1 year as I have no UK address, property etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I have lived in Thailand for over 10 years and when I contacted HMRC they declared that I was a Non resident and Not ordinarily resident after being here just 1 year as I have no UK address, property etc.

Well that is me too except been here longer  and before that was living overseas. But the original question was whether a UK passport would qualify as confirming legal residence. (Which we both still have the right of). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...