Marriage in Thailand: who and where?

Brunolem

I am asking the following questions because our amphoe, in Sisaket, having never delt with a marriage involving a farang, hasn't the slightest idea of how to proceed (procedure, documents required...). 

The first question is: who is legally authorized to marry a Thai woman with a farang? 

The second question is: where can the marriage be set? Does it have to be in the province where the Thai woman is registered, or can it be anywhere in the country? 

Thanks for the input of members having first hand experience with this issue. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Official marriage is registered at a District Office and that can be anywhere.  First step is for you to obtain the required paperwork from your Embassy (you are free to marry document).  That then has to be translated into Thai (District Office does not do other languages) and registered with MFA (making it an official translated document).  Once that is obtained you can look for a District Office to register the marriage.

My now Mrs.Trans lived in Ubon, but I had to go to BKK to the British Embassy to sort the paperwork.

So we went to the Embassy to be met outside by a lady explaining that for a fee she will do everything, including the actual marriage at a local place.

I/we did nothing, took two days in all, with her even sorting the taxi..

It cost me 8000bht at the time, which was a little over a 100 quid, a bargain...????

18 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The second question is: where can the marriage be set? Does it have to be in the province where the Thai woman is registered, or can it be anywhere in the country

Sounds like you are a bit of a Newbie or your future partner has no family (which is doubtful).

The Buddhist ceremony is very important and a tradition to all Thais I have known.  The marriage is almost always in the village - baan where the parents live or she grew up.   

You should concentrate on having the best Buddhist wedding and celebration/party with family and friends, this is the enjoyable, unique tradition of the Thai wedding IMO. 

You can always "register" at an amphoe sometime later. 

Cynically, this is why so many thai men can walk away from their "marriages". They never registered.

Maybe future wife wants to make sure cannot, this is a warning sign in my opinion.

Of course, my experience with divorce from a thai woman does make me cynical/opinionated

Hard to understand that the Sisaket amphoe has never done a falang/thai marriage registration.  I know of many falangs registered there and read of many more here on tv.

That area is known for scheming women after a falang or two or three.  Maybe the folks at that amphore know something you don't know and are trying to help you.

7 hours ago, IraqRon said:

Hard to understand that the Sisaket amphoe has never done a falang/thai marriage registration.  I know of many falangs registered there and read of many more here on tv.

That area is known for scheming women after a falang or two or three.  Maybe the folks at that amphore know something you don't know and are trying to help you.

Agree 100%....many falang living there...luckily I escaped my SiSaket "lady" many years ago :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Sounds like you are a bit of a Newbie or your future partner has no family (which is doubtful).

The Buddhist ceremony is very important and a tradition to all Thais I have known.  The marriage is almost always in the village - baan where the parents live or she grew up.   

You should concentrate on having the best Buddhist wedding and celebration/party with family and friends, this is the enjoyable, unique tradition of the Thai wedding IMO. 

You can always "register" at an amphoe sometime later. 

Cynically, this is why so many thai men can walk away from their "marriages". They never registered.

Maybe future wife wants to make sure cannot, this is a warning sign in my opinion.

Of course, my experience with divorce from a thai woman does make me cynical/opinionated

Actually we have been married, in front of the Buddha, for 20 years already... including the ceremony with the family and all the village... and the money of course... 

Now, we are concerned only with the second part of your comment, the registration issue. 

Why only now? 

Because I recently retired, and I am quite older than my wife, thus being officially married will entitle her to a share of my pension once I meet my maker. 

This is the only reason... 

55 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

Your comment shows that you are not aware of the Thai administrative structure, and that maybe you should refrain to write nonsense. 

There is no such thing as a Sisaket amphoe. 

Sisaket is a province, divided in a number of amphoes, each of them having its own administration. 

It happens that the amphoe where we live is quite remote... as a matter of fact I don't know of any other farang living around... and everytime I ask for something (a yellow book recently), it is quite a panic because they have no experience with such issues. 

yes, I do know that the amphoe is the district, I was refering to any amphoe in that Provence.

If that one you are in is so remote then you can follow the advice given as to finding another with the ability to register you.  In my local amphoe they tried to act dumb for both the registration and later the blue book, at times I wish I had taken what I think was a hint.  They renigged when forcefully confronted by the then wife.

Good luck to you in your marriage, sincerly.  Not always easy to live full time in a remote village or even one 24 kilos from the prov. capital as I do.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

being officially married will entitle her to a share of my pension once I meet my maker. 

Are you receiving US social security? Available to first wife only I believe. I was just reading on here that pensions in UK are not given to wives in Thailand. Just curious if government or private pension. Wish I had a pension to offer, maybe help me find more permanent companion 5555. Good luck sir. Good to know difference between amphoe and district, province

A foreign born spouse can receive her decease husbands SS payments based on marriage if they have resided as a married couple in the US for a minimum of 5 years. She can also receive them if she has US citizenship. There are some exclusions receiving benefits outside the US. 

17 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

A foreign born spouse can receive her decease husbands SS payments based on marriage if they have resided as a married couple in the US for a minimum of 5 years. She can also receive them if she has US citizenship. There are some exclusions receiving benefits outside the US. 

But only if she is the first wife is what I have been told. And married for at least 10 years? Oh well I guess that ship has sailed

6 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Actually we have been married, in front of the Buddha, for 20 years already... including the ceremony with the family and all the village... and the money of course... 

Now, we are concerned only with the second part of your comment, the registration issue. 

Why only now? 

Because I recently retired, and I am quite older than my wife, thus being officially married will entitle her to a share of my pension once I meet my maker. 

Unless I am mistaken, you are not married. Not recognised anywhere as being married. ..????

Did you get Kor Ror 3 marriage certificates via the process you took....?

8 hours ago, transam said:

My now Mrs.Trans lived in Ubon, but I had to go to BKK to the British Embassy to sort the paperwork.

So we went to the Embassy to be met outside by a lady explaining that for a fee she will do everything, including the actual marriage at a local place.

It cost me 8000bht at the time, which was a little over a 100 quid, a bargain...????

8000baht a little over a 100 quid ? When was this 1840 ???? 

6 hours ago, IraqRon said:

yes, I do know that the amphoe is the district, I was refering to any amphoe in that Provence.

If that one you are in is so remote then you can follow the advice given as to finding another with the ability to register you.  In my local amphoe they tried to act dumb for both the registration and later the blue book, at times I wish I had taken what I think was a hint.  They renigged when forcefully confronted by the then wife.

Good luck to you in your marriage, sincerly.  Not always easy to live full time in a remote village or even one 24 kilos from the prov. capital as I do.

I am 50 km away from Sisaket city, but I am very much used to living in a remote location... I can stay a year without talking face to face with another farang... 

In our amphoe, they don't act dumb, it is just that they lack the experience... 

5 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Are you receiving US social security? Available to first wife only I believe. I was just reading on here that pensions in UK are not given to wives in Thailand. Just curious if government or private pension. Wish I had a pension to offer, maybe help me find more permanent companion 5555. Good luck sir. Good to know difference between amphoe and district, province

Actually I get the French social security, and I don't know yet if there are any specific requirements (marriage duration...) in order for the wife to be eligible. 

1 hour ago, transam said:

Unless I am mistaken, you are not married. Not recognised anywhere as being married. ..????

Did you get Kor Ror 3 marriage certificates via the process you took....?

You are not mistaken... I am not officially married... yet... 

We're getting married next week after living together for eighteen years!

Make an appointment at your embassy, swear an affirmation to marry, show copy of divorce papers etc..

Have the affirmation to marry translated and stamped at the MOFA in Bangkok.

Go to Amphur and sign papers, some may ask for a certified copy of passport, job done.

Without reading all the answers - short on time.........Only the Amphur manager can conduct a marriage registration involving a foreign spouse. The standard requirements are an Affirmation of Martial status and a certified copy of your passport - both available from your Embassy/Consulate. These should be translated by a recognised agency and the translations taken to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Laksi, Bangkok for certification. Be aware that these translations/certifications are only valid for 3 months.

Laksi is a pain in the proverbial and the same day service was stopped a few years back. Most translation agencies offer a service where they will do that part for you and you simply go back and collect them a couple of days later - some will even post them to you. The cost is usually quite reasonable and unless you are a sadist or into self harm, I would leave it to them. You would not believe how many windows you need to go to or how many photocopies they will want.

I find it difficult to believe that the Amphur manager doesn't know what he needs to marry a foreigner - they are all in touch with one another and he/she can easily call a colleague for help.  I would go back there again and speak to the manager - it is not unusual for them to come up with some weird, made up requirement and arguing won't help.

I forgot - and was reminded in another thread. You should also have 2 witnesses and a translator present. The translator can also be a witness. It appears that some Amphurs are easing off on that requirement again now but I would always check.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:43 AM, transam said:

A bargain ?, you got ripped off, the only thing i ever found Free in Thailand was getting married at our local Ampoe.

22 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Why only now? 

There are a few reasons actually well first you are by law NOT married, If you go to meet your maker, the hospital can only release your body to next of kin !  that is not the lady you are living with. She would have to wait until they turn up to carry out your funeral wishes IF they agreed with her. The thought of my body languishing in a hospital till anyone in my family turned up if at all, was one of the reasons i got married apart from the money in the bank of coarse ????

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I find it difficult to believe that the Amphur manager doesn't know what he needs to marry a foreigner - they are all in touch with one another and he/she can easily call a colleague for help.  I would go back there again and speak to the manager - it is not unusual for them to come up with some weird, made up requirement and arguing won't help.

You should see the amphoe "manager" (nay amphoe) and staff in my remote area. 

They all bought their jobs, one way or another, and entirely rely on a lowly secretary who is the only one who has any idea of how things are done, as long as they are basic. 

I will give it another shot but I am not holding my breath. 

It took them a whole month to come up with a yellow book, which is a very simple formality, all in Thai, compared with a marriage involving a foreigner... 

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

A bargain ?, you got ripped off, the only thing i ever found Free in Thailand was getting married at our local Ampoe.

Actually 8k sounds quite fair a fee for a 3rd party help.  The translation/registration would likely have cost several thousand even if doing yourself plus a few taxi fares.  Finding a District Office can be another issue taking time and travel.  Getting witness and translator (even if not official most will want a 3rd party Thai reader to tell you what you have to sign).  And believe there is actually a small fee for the marriage registration (and a lot more if done outside of office).  

39 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

the hospital can only release your body to next of kin

Believe for foreigner it is your Embassy that makes that decision so you want them to have current information.

21 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Without reading all the answers - short on time.........Only the Amphur manager can conduct a marriage registration involving a foreign spouse. The standard requirements are an Affirmation of Martial status and a certified copy of your passport - both available from your Embassy/Consulate. These should be translated by a recognised agency and the translations taken to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Laksi, Bangkok for certification. Be aware that these translations/certifications are only valid for 3 months.

Laksi is a pain in the proverbial and the same day service was stopped a few years back. Most translation agencies offer a service where they will do that part for you and you simply go back and collect them a couple of days later - some will even post them to you. The cost is usually quite reasonable and unless you are a sadist or into self harm, I would leave it to them. You would not believe how many windows you need to go to or how many photocopies they will want.

Thanks to you and the other comments providing help. This “right to marry” info from the embassy.... if I don’t live in Thailand, does this paperwork still have to come from my countries embassy in Thailand or can I get it from my country of domicile?

and regarding the translation validity of 3 months - does that apply to the “right to marry” documents as well or just the translation?

Archived