Marriage in Thailand: who and where?

Brunolem

7 hours ago, Brunolem said:

And this is not the end, because after that there is more paperwork, in order to have the marriage validated by your embassy/country.

That may be a requirement of your home country but the UK recognises legal Thai marriages without further validation - I suspect most countries do.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Brunolem said:

The foreigner's documents have to be translated in Thai by a translator approved by his embassy (the embassy provides a list).

I would suggest that the embassy provides that list to be helpful.  As the MFA certification is a Thai requirement, it is not up to the embassy providing the affirmation to state who can and cannot conduct translations.

From memory, I believe the MFA state that the translation but be done by an 'approved' translation service but in practice, I've never seen one refused. Most agencies put an official looking stamp on the document and its accepted by the MFA.

8 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Once this is done, the translations, attached to the original documents, have to be stamped by his embassy

Where are you getting this information from?  As several others have pointed out, this is not a requirement.

With the greatest of respect, when you posted this thread your questions gave the impression that you need help with this matter but just a few pages later you are giving out advice - some of which is simply wrong.

Other people may read your posts and not read the whole thread. If they take your posts as correct, they are going away with incorrect information.

If it is your embassy that is giving out this information, please undertstand - they are responsible for for providing you with documents required by the Thai authorities and that is all.  They do not make, nor have any part in, the making of Thai rules and regulations.

21 minutes ago, saengd said:

As said, the MoFA in Chiang Mai has a same day service, bring in the document before 9:30am and pay double, doubtless other MoFA offices do the same.

Yes they do... if you agree to pay double the regular rate, you get your documents stamped the same day. 

15 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I would suggest that the embassy provides that list to be helpful.  As the MFA certification is a Thai requirement, it is not up to the embassy providing the affirmation to state who can and cannot conduct translations.

From memory, I believe the MFA state that the translation but be done by an 'approved' translation service but in practice, I've never seen one refused. Most agencies put an official looking stamp on the document and its accepted by the MFA.

Many members seem to think that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or mfa, plays a major role in the marriage, when in fact it only plays a very minor one. 

The mfa involvment starts with stamping a number of documents, in fact copies, to certify that they are conform with the originals, and it ends there. 

The mfa is in no way involved in the marriage itself. 

As far as the translators are concerned, I was referring to the translations of the documents that you need to submit to your embassy in order to get the certificate (affirmation of freedom to marry)... the mfa has nothing to do with that. 

More generally, the mfa doesn't give a damn about who is translating what, because it is not its business... it just checks that the copy matches the original, never mind the document... you could include a copy of your driving licence and they would stamp it. 

20 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Where are you getting this information from?  As several others have pointed out, this is not a requirement.

With the greatest of respect, when you posted this thread your questions gave the impression that you need help with this matter but just a few pages later you are giving out advice - some of which is simply wrong.

Other people may read your posts and not read the whole thread. If they take your posts as correct, they are going away with incorrect information.

If it is your embassy that is giving out this information, please undertstand - they are responsible for for providing you with documents required by the Thai authorities and that is all.  They do not make, nor have any part in, the making of Thai rules and regulations.

My opening post was to ask help about who was in charge of the marriage (the amphoe as per the answers) and where it could be done (anywhere in the country as it happens). 

I didn't mention the procedure, which I have been following until now without facing any rejection, meaning I am not giving false information apparently. 

I don't know if the members who are posting diverging information are doing it from experience, being involved in a marriage procedure right now, or if they are simply reporting what they have read here or there. 

I don't know about other embassies, such as the UK which, according to what I can read in the comments, seems to be very flexible, but all I can say is that the French embassy is not. 

The documents to submit to the French embassy, and their translations, are far more numerous than those that you have to submit to the amphoe for the marriage itself. 

In order to get the affirmation of freedom to marry, I had to make an appointment, together with my future wife, and submit a long list of documents and their translations... and then wait for 3 weeks to receive the affirmation... 

Then, after the marriage I will have to submit again in order to have the marriage registered by the French authorities. 

Lucky Brits who apparently don't have to bother with all that... 

13 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

As far as the translators are concerned, I was referring to the translations of the documents that you need to submit to your embassy in order to get the certificate (affirmation of freedom to marry)... the mfa has nothing to do with that. 

Why would your embassy require those documents to be translated into Thai?

For the sake of others - let me outline the actual requirements:

To be legally married in Thailand, a foreigner must provide evidence to the the registration office (Amphur) that they are legally entitled to be married. This process is usually called the 'Affirmation'.

Such evidence must be provided by your embassy/consulate and they will tell you what they require in order for them to supply the Affirmation.

Once you have that document it needs to be translated into the Thai language before submission to the MFA who will then CERTIFY the translation. That is the part that the MFA play - they are stating that the translation is correct.

You may regard the MFA process as a minor role - technically it is. However, as those that have been married in Thailand will confirm - the MFA process takes longer than getting the affirmation, having it translated and the actual marriage registration - all put together.

12 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In order to get the affirmation of freedom to marry, I had to make an appointment, together with my future wife, and submit a long list of documents and their translations... and then wait for 3 weeks to receive the affirmation... 

Well that's unfortunate.  The actual process of getting the affirmation will obviously differ from country to country but the requirements for a Thai marriage are the same, regardless of your nationality.  Once you have your affirmation, your home country's authorities have no further part in the Thai marriage process.

Again, its unfortunate for French nationals if their authorities need to verify a marriage conducted in Thailand.

23 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Why would your embassy require those documents to be translated into Thai?

Once you have that document it needs to be translated into the Thai language before submission to the MFA who will then CERTIFY the translation. That is the part that the MFA play - they are stating that the translation is correct.

You may regard the MFA process as a minor role - technically it is. However, as those that have been married in Thailand will confirm - the MFA process takes longer than getting the affirmation, having it translated and the actual marriage registration - all put together.

My embassy needed the Thai documents (id card, blue book, birth certificate...) provided by my future wife, to be translated in French. 

I don't know how the mfa could certify the translation of the affirmation of freedom to marry, because that would require the mfa to have people fluent in many languages (including in their offices in remote provinces) since all the affirmations of freedom to marry are not issued in English (assuming that they could check a translation from English to Thai)... 

In order to get my documents stamped at the mfa, I have spent about one hour, which is way much less than the time spent with the other parties involved... 

Otherwise, are you currently involved in a marriage procedure? 

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

All day?  The MFA service takes 2 to 3 days. It is possible that an agent who 'knows someone' may get it done by the next day but the same day service ended years ago.

Just to clarify - in the above quote, I am referring to the MFA in Bangkok which is where most people get their affirmations certified.

Reading through this thread, it appears that there are other MFA offices in Thailand and is seems that the Chiang Mai office still offers a same day service.

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In order to get my documents stamped at the mfa, I have spent about one hour, which is way much less than the time spent with the other parties involved... 

Yes, I have answered that in the post above.

27 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I don't know how the mfa could certify the translation, because that would require the mfa to have people fluent in many languages (including in their offices in remote provinces) since all the affirmations of freedom to marry are not issued in English (assuming that they could check a translation from English to Thai)... 

I think you are misunderstanding - maybe because English is not your first language? The MFA do not need to be fluent in many languages - they are certifying a document written in Thai language. They are only certifying what is written in Thai - they assume that as the original document is from a legal authority of your home country, it is correct and true. They have been provided with copies of stamps and authentication documents from your home country previously so they are able to ascertain documents are genuine.

I will try to explain again:

The Thai register office requires evidence that you are legally able to be married before they will register a marriage. As they have no way of knowing that, they ask you to provide evidence and such evidence must come from a recognised authority of your home country - i.e. your embassy/consulate.

The process of obtaining that Affirmation is up to your home authority and each applicant needs to check what their country requires in order to issue the document.

Registry offices will only accept Affirmations that have been certified by the MFA. In order to certify the Affirmation, the MFA require it to be translated in to Thai language. Officially they state that such translations must be carried out by an accredited translator but in practice, they accept most (probably all) agencies, providing the translation is stamped as 'true'.

When those documents are submitted to the MFA, they will check them, certify the translation as correct and stamp it.

Perhaps other members that have been through the process will confirm that I am correct?

17 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I think you are misunderstanding - maybe because English is not your first language? The MFA do not need to be fluent in many languages - they are certifying a document written in Thai language. They are only certifying what is written in Thai - they assume that as the original document is from a legal authority of your home country, it is correct and true. They have been provided with copies of stamps and authentication documents from your home country previously so they are able to ascertain documents are genuine.

I will try to explain again:

The Thai register office requires evidence that you are legally able to be married before they will register a marriage. As they have no way of knowing that, they ask you to provide evidence and such evidence must come from a recognised authority of your home country - i.e. your embassy/consulate.

The process of obtaining that Affirmation is up to your home authority and each applicant needs to check what their country requires in order to issue the document.

Registry offices will only accept Affirmations that have been certified by the MFA. In order to certify the Affirmation, the MFA require it to be translated in to Thai language. Officially they state that such translations must be carried out by an accredited translator but in practice, they accept most (probably all) agencies, providing the translation is stamped as 'true'.

When those documents are submitted to the MFA, they will check them, certify the translation as correct and stamp it.

Perhaps other members that have been through the process will confirm that I am correct?

Thanks for these steps. 

I’m guessing that when you go to register the marriage and you have done the translation of the affirmation - you also need to provide some document that you “got married”. 

does that “I got married” certificate have to come from a temple? Or can you just go to an office somewhere, say “I do” and get your paper? 

30 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

Thanks for these steps. 

I’m guessing that when you go to register the marriage and you have done the translation of the affirmation - you also need to provide some document that you “got married”. 

does that “I got married” certificate have to come from a temple? Or can you just go to an office somewhere, say “I do” and get your paper? 

They provide the marriage certificate at the district office that you register at - that is the marriage - marriage is a civil activity performed by a district officer and normally done at the district office.  

1 hour ago, ncc1701d said:

Thanks for these steps. 

Nope, as Lopburi3 says, you will be issued with a certificate by the Amphur - Kor Ror 3 and details of the registration - Kor Ror 2. In fact you are both issued with one original Kor Ror3 and one original Kor Ror 2.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2019 at 2:56 PM, Skallywag said:

Sounds like you are a bit of a Newbie or your future partner has no family (which is doubtful).

The Buddhist ceremony is very important and a tradition to all Thais I have known.  The marriage is almost always in the village - baan where the parents live or she grew up.   

You should concentrate on having the best Buddhist wedding and celebration/party with family and friends, this is the enjoyable, unique tradition of the Thai wedding IMO. 

You can always "register" at an amphoe sometime later. 

Cynically, this is why so many thai men can walk away from their "marriages". They never registered.

Maybe future wife wants to make sure cannot, this is a warning sign in my opinion.

Of course, my experience with divorce from a thai woman does make me cynical/opinionated

I never had a village wedding, so it's not that important. Probably wanted by some families so they can show off the ATM she hooked to the neighbours. My wife never even mentioned it.

Wish I'd had one so I could have just walked away when the marriage failed.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, saengd said:

We're getting married next week after living together for eighteen years!

Make an appointment at your embassy, swear an affirmation to marry, show copy of divorce papers etc..

Have the affirmation to marry translated and stamped at the MOFA in Bangkok.

Go to Amphur and sign papers, some may ask for a certified copy of passport, job done.

I have a appointment with the British Embassy in January. Can the affirmation/certified passport be translated in a day ?

Do you have to make an appointment at MOFA or just turn up ?

8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I have a appointment with the British Embassy in January. Can the affirmation/certified passport be translated in a day ?

Do you have to make an appointment at MOFA or just turn up ?

You just turn up at the MOFA.

As for the translation, it would mostly depend on how busy is the translator...

Archived