BANGKOK
webfact

Ban of 3 substances will cripple sugar industry: expert

31 minutes ago, teacherofwoe said:

You just need to wiki this stuff:

It is quick-acting and non-selective, killing green plant tissue on contact. It is also toxic to human beings and animals due to its redox activity, which produces superoxide anions. It has been linked to the development of Parkinson's disease[6][7] and is banned in several countries.

Paraquat was first manufactured and sold by ICI in early 1962, and is today among the most commonly used herbicides.

Amazing! Toxic to humans causing Parkinson's and is one of the most common pesticides. And apparently without it, according to our expert, we can't grow sugar like they did 50 years ago.

Oxygen is the biggest killer but can take 90+ years to take effect in some cases.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Im guessing the next stage of this ongoing development will involve replacement chemicals imported from China and probably no safer. 

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

suicide  nonsense  again.............just  get  on  the  Thai  roads thats  a  real  good  suicide  attempt

In the last ten years there have been 3 suicides involving paraquat in my village of less then 200 people. 1.5% of the population. How many have died from paraquat infected food in the whole world in the last ten years? None that have been recorded as such so let's hold onto some perspective. If it is banned I guarantee there will be more suicides within a year or two as people lose their livelihoods and despair. How many lives would be saved if it is banned. Nothing like 1.5% of the worlds population I am sure.

Most proponents of this ban know nothing about farmers lives here in Thailand yet find the time to criticise and make jokes. If Thailand wants to save lives then yes I agree they should focus on making the roads safer not push poor people into tighter corners.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“Currently Thailand is world’s 5th sugar producer and 2nd biggest exporter with more than 11 million rai of sugarcane plantation areas and 134 million tonnes of sugarcane produced per year,” he said. “The ban of these 3 substances, especially Paraquat, will affect the sugar production in 2020 as well as other related industries such as food processing, animal feed, ethanol manufacturing and biomass power plants.

So lets ignore all the worlds evidence and put profits before people & the environment... expert my <deleted>!

• Thanks 1

This belated ban will avoid a lot of people becoming crippled. The industry has had yonks to switch to alternative methods of cultivation of sugar cane.

• Confused 1

Less sugar is good thing. If production is significantly reduced, as the very biased "expert" says, the action of banning these toxins will kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. 

9 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

Less sugar is good thing. If production is significantly reduced, as the very biased "expert" says, the action of banning these toxins will kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. 

Most of it is used as fuel additive. It won't reduce sweet food but more likely increase price of fuel and everything else indirectly. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Youlike said:

How do the farmers in Queensland Australia do it? Do they still use paraquat and the lot?

They don't I once worked with one who went organic because he said the he almost died from chemical poisoning!

• Haha 1

Thailand just increased the tax on products containing a lot of sugar. It would be logical to decrease the sugar production. So where is the problem? 

4 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Thailand just increased the tax on products containing a lot of sugar. It would be logical to decrease the sugar production. So where is the problem? 

It grows well here.

Other crops not so well.

18 minutes ago, somo said:

While we are at it lets ban cars. Think of all the lives and misery  and pollution that would save. Oh yeah alcohol, having fun etc. But no, everyone wants to ban something that won't affect them, only the poor, but then they don't matter do they? It's easy to be holier than though when you sit in a castle but being asked to make a personal sacrifice and everyone runs for cover. Cars kill millions and are largely responible for global warming but shock horror lets kill those headlines and distract everyone with something which has yet to be shown responsible for a single death other than suicide.

I'll second that motion!I've been pointing out this hypocrisy for thirty years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

It grows well here.

Other crops not so well.

Hemp seems to do well here and requires no chemicals for successful cultivation and provides much more useful and healthy products than sugar. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Hemp seems to do well here and requires no chemicals for successful cultivation and provides much more useful and healthy products than sugar. 

It doesn't require chemicals in theory but that's not how things work most of the time when money is involved. Farmers with poor soil will use chemicals fertilizer to increase yield. Glyphosate can be used to kill weeds before planting and in some case directly on the crop to dry it out before harvest. Hemp is also vulnerable to some insects and fungus when under stress so some insecticide or fungicide could be used. 

However if it was my livelihood I would probably choose hemp but it's not legal yet... 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1