Keep snitching! Nigerian arrested on Koh Phangan on near seven year overstay

webfact

Keep snitching! Nigerian arrested on Koh Phangan on near seven year overstay

10pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Thai media Naew Na asked the public to continue calling in with tips on the immigration snitch line after a Nigerian was arrested on a long overstay. 

Surat Thani immigration chief Pol Col Suparik Phankoson ordered his deputies into action on Monday when they went to a house without a number in the Ban Nai Suan area of the holiday island of Koh Phangan. 

There they found "Mr Samuel" on overstay of 2,412 days. 

This was ultimately part of chief Lt-Gen Sompong "Big Oud" Chingduang's clampdown on lawbreaking foreigners and Naew Na urged to public to keep calling 1178 to rid the kingdom of undesirables. 

They printed a picture of the arrested man hanging his head in shame, negating the need for an "alien" sticker that they used last week. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-13

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Great! Give the snitch a medal. Hope more great news coming soon.

Out with all overstayers and other criminals.

Overstayers are not always criminals, every individual has his own story man. Never laugh to someone who is drowning if you didn’t cross the river yet. Life is very long..you never know. 

42 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Overstayers are not always criminals, every individual has his own story man. Never laugh to someone who is drowning if you didn’t cross the river yet. Life is very long..you never know. 

Really? Are you serious. It´s against the law to overstay a visa or an extension. That means somebody is breaking the law when they overstay. If you break the law, you also committ a criminal offense. Then again, that might be far too complicated for you.

Yes, I know. I am a good swimmer.

49 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Really? Are you serious. It´s against the law to overstay a visa or an extension. That means somebody is breaking the law when they overstay. If you break the law, you also committ a criminal offense. Then again, that might be far too complicated for you.

Have you never broke a law in Thailand?

13 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Have you never broke a law in Thailand?

What a strange question??? No, not as far as I know. (Don´t bother if you think about the quick one: Yes, I use a helmet when driving motorcycle.)

Why would I do that, or why would you assume that I have? Do I miss out on your tough guy club?

Just now, Matzzon said:

What a strange question??? No, not as far as I know. (Don´t bother if you think about the quick one: Yes, I use a helmet when driving motorcycle.)

I can't understand why you are salivating and hang em' high on every overstay thread.

All the heinous crimes that go on here and you concentrate all your vitriol for overstayers...... a victim less crime. 

Bizarre

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Most proper countries don't treat it as a criminal offence and treat the offenders like serial murderers in the process. Then dumped in squalid conditions until they cough up or are left for years in filth and degradation. 

Here is the text for PROPER countries -

Many foreign nationals, however, enter the country legally every day on valid work or travel visas, and end up overstaying for a variety of reasons. But that's not a violation of federal criminal law -- it's a civil violation that gets handled in immigration court proceedings.

3 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I can't understand why you are salivating and hang em' high on every overstay thread.

All the heinous crimes that go on here and you concentrate all your vitriol for overstayers...... a victim less crime. 

Bizarre

A good advice, when you do not understand something. Just let it be, and it won´t complicate your life.

However, I do hate overstayers out of one simple reason. They are the pest that contributes to Immigration´s view of expats and tourists in Thailand. When things get harder about getting extensions and visas, that is something that fills this forum. You are probably there with comments about that too.

Think about how much more positive it could be to read in this forum, if the hardship and the complaints wasn´t there. One contributor, as I see it, is people that overstays and comes to Thailand engaging in other criminal acts.

For that reason, I simply hate them. Therefore you will always have a choice. Read my comments or disregard them. If you post replies, you will always get one in return.

Have a nice day, Sticky Wicket.

6 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Most proper countries don't treat it as a criminal offence and treat the offenders like serial murderers in the process. Then dumped in squalid conditions until they cough up or are left for years in filth and degradation. 

Many foreign nationals, however, enter the country legally every day on valid work or travel visas, and end up overstaying for a variety of reasons. But that's not a violation of federal criminal law -- it's a civil violation that gets handled in immigration court proceedings.

Well said. Saved me. 

Just now, Matzzon said:

A good advice, when you do not understand something. Just let it be, and it won´t complicate your life.

However, I do hate overstayers out of one simple reason. They are the pest that contributes to Immigration´s view of expats and tourists in Thailand. When things get harder about getting extensions and visas, that is something that fills this forum. You are probably there with comments about that too.

Think about how much more positive it could be to read in this forum, if the hardship and the complaints wasn´t there. One contributor, as I see it, is people that overstays and comes to Thailand engaging in other criminal acts.

For that reason, I simply hate them. Therefore you will always have a choice. Read my comments or disregard them. If you post replies, you will always get one in return.

Have a nice day, Sticky Wicket.

It's nothing to do with that, you obviously are a newbie

As I've stated a gazillion times, everything changed in 2014 when the country was taken over by militants and xenophobes.

Before that it was a minor offence! 

7 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Ok, then you must have a problem with Thailand, because here it´s called breaking the law. It´s Thailand we are talking about, right?

7 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Totally irrelevant. Thailand does not see it that way. Be my guest. Go to a "proper" country and overstay then. No problemas, hombre! :cheesy::cheesy:

6 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

It's nothing to do with that, you obviously are a newbie

As I've stated a gazillion times, everything changed in 2014 when the country was taken over by militants and xenophobes.

Before that it was a minor offence! 

Obviously, I have stayed in Thailand soon 23 years according to my passports. I would take a chance and say, you are probably more newbie than me.

Yep, something good changed. They tighthened the screws on overstayers. You can state what you want a gazillion times more. The facts is that the law sometimes change, or they start to enforce the law. That is what happened in Thailand, and a lot of scum has been shown the door.

It shocks me at how people on here can't see how wrong the way this is being done. A government in couraging the public to spy and report people. People can't see how xenophobic this is to single out non thais like this. I new an old guy who had overstayed 4 years, to think of him as some sort of master criminal disgusts me. He was just an old boy who got himself into a spiral that got out of control. He was contributing to Thailand in as much as he was an English teacher. Luckily a friend helped him out and he paid his 20,000baht fine then went home. Now only comes to Thailand on holidays. 

10 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, then you must have a problem with Thailand, because here it´s called breaking the law. It´s Thailand we are talking about, right?

Totally irrelevant. Thailand does not see it that way. Be my guest. Go to a "proper" country and overstay then. No problemas, hombre! :cheesy::cheesy:

Wow it did not take long... If you don't like it leave then laughing are you sick or something? I really feel sorry for you. So far out of about 20 friends from 2006, 19 of them did just that and left me included. Only one old-timer still in Thailand and he has nothing outside of Thailand to go back to, he is stuck as to old to start again. 

10 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

It shocks me at how people on here can't see how wrong the way this is being done. A government in couraging the public to spy and report people. People can't see how xenophobic this is to single out non thais like this.

Yes, I am sorry to say, that they foind it truly impossible to report themslefs for overstaying thier citizenship. :cheesy:

I new an old guy who had overstayed 4 years, to think of him as some sort of master criminal disgusts me.

Nobody says he was or other people that overstay is master criminals. Where did you get that from? He is breaking the law, though, and should be punished for that in accordance with the law. That is what happens here.

He was just an old boy who got himself into a spiral that got out of control. He was contributing to Thailand in as much as he was an English teacher. Luckily a friend helped him out and he paid his 20,000baht fine then went home.

So, now a person without a valid visa and no work permit, are considered to contribute to Thailand by beeing an english teacher??? Get a grip!

Now only comes to Thailand on holidays. 

Sure, that´s fine. Just hope he don´t overstay no more.

Archived