Keep snitching! Nigerian arrested on Koh Phangan on near seven year overstay

webfact

2 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Wow it did not take long... If you don't like it leave then laughing are you sick or something?

Never said that. What I stated was that there is one law in Thailand, and another in another country. Everybody must chose a place that fits, where they feel good by living by the law.

I really feel sorry for you.

No, problem. No need to. I am fine, thank you.

So far out of about 20 friends from 2006, 19 of them did just that and left me included. Only one old-timer still in Thailand and he has nothing outside of Thailand to go back to, he is stuck as to old to start again. 

Then I guess you are happy. You have left a terrible place that over 40 million tourists visit and love every year.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Most proper countries don't treat it as a criminal offence and treat the offenders like serial murderers in the process. Then dumped in squalid conditions until they cough up or are left for years in filth and degradation. 

Such countries have enormous amounts of illegals as a result. Thailand has the right approach, fair but harsh, nobody forced this guy to over stay for 7 years it was his choice. If only the UK followed Thailand's example on immigration and kicking out illegals their population would not keep on increasing by a million extra people every 3-4 years.

8 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Wow it did not take long... If you don't like it leave then laughing are you sick or something? I really feel sorry for you.

This guy is always very active on threads about overstayers
and always writes the same <deleted>.

He has some serious problems .

9 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

This guy is always very active on threads about overstayers
and always writes the same <deleted>.

He has some serious problems .

Nope, I have no problems at all. I do not overstay. I can provide for myself and my family in a legal way. Simply, I have a fantastic life in Thailand. That´s how it can go when you have your feet on the ground and plan your life well.

10 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nope, I have no problems at all. I do not overstay. I can provide for myself and my family in a legal way. Simply, I have a fantastic life in Thailand. That´s how it can go when you have your feet on the ground and plan your life well.

Really go to the doctor, maybe some cabbage worm has got in your brain
or you should receive rabies vaccine injections.

43 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

It shocks me at how people on here can't see how wrong the way this is being done. A government in couraging the public to spy and report people. People can't see how xenophobic this is to single out non thais like this. I new an old guy who had overstayed 4 years, to think of him as some sort of master criminal disgusts me. He was just an old boy who got himself into a spiral that got out of control. He was contributing to Thailand in as much as he was an English teacher. Luckily a friend helped him out and he paid his 20,000baht fine then went home. Now only comes to Thailand on holidays. 

So not only overstaying, working with out a work permit, not paying taxes.

8 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

Really go to the doctor, maybe some cabbage worm has got in your brain
or you should receive rabies vaccine injections.

No need, I am perfectly healthy. Why so bitter that you have concentrate on me instead of the topic?

Are you scared of the topic? Are you overstaying, or are you trying to live in Thailand on back-to-back tourist and ED-visas? Maybe just feeling that the luck is starting to run out.

I have my opinion of overstayers and other people that comes to Thailand and breaks the law. I want them caught, deported and blacklisted forever.

When I make my initial post, I just state my opinion. If you do not agree, then post your opinion. If you refer to me or engage in a conversation with me, please at least show some dignity by keeping to the topic without any remarks regarding my brain or that I would need a doctor because you do not share my opinion.

6 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

Twins ??? or same contract ???Attempt to draw attention??
brain damage???

really,what are foreigners who write such nonsense guided by?

I also never overstayed, last time I flew with Dengue Fever to not exceed the limit,

but I don't act in this way.

We can clearly see that dignity, was not you strong thing in life.

We are guided by that if people follow the rules and do not overstay, it will be better and more simple for us all.

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Great! Give the snitch a medal. Hope more great news coming soon.

Out with all overstayers and other criminals.

Nah,...Give that Nigerian a medal !!! 2,412 days overstay as a black man !?!? he must be very good in what he does !!!!!

4 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

And I have an opinion in which people with mental problems
should not be allowed into Thailand.

I suggest you take that up in a new topic. This one is about a man that was overstaying. Maybe can find some help under the right forum section for that problem.

Some of the people on here expressing gung ho support for the government's hotline program to encourage people to report possible immigration violations might want to stop and reflect that it is probably non-Asians who are most likely to be targeted because they visually stand out much more. An Asian person can fly under the radar a lot easier than a non-Asian can. So relying heavily on hotline tips from the public for identifying potential immigration violations probably has a fair amount of built-in racial bias.

A hotline program also encourages the public to discriminate between different groups of foreigners, labeling them as "desirable" and "undesirable" irrespective of their immigration status. That is going to have an impact on how tourists from different racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds are treated, and may have a negative long-term impact on the tourism sector.

Every country has problems with overstayers and illegal entry into the country. With supposedly 30+ million visitors a year, Thailand is going to have its share of illegal immigration. I'm not contesting Thailand's right to enforce its immigration laws, but when the public is actively encouraged to report foreigners, and immigration detentions and raids receive such prominence in the news media, it starts to create a somewhat hostile climate of distrust and xenophobia.

Many of those arrested appear to have had sufficient means to support themselves and to have not been charged with any criminal activity beyond immigration violations. Some clearly thought that they could circumvent immigration rules with impunity. I suspect that some were unable to meet the financial requirements to legally remain in the country. In some cases, this was caused by sudden and unexpected devaluations of home country currencies. Thailand's financial requirements for visas are somewhat arbitrary and based entirely on income or amounts on deposit. They are far higher than what the average Thai has in income or has on deposit in the bank or for what is required to live reasonably comfortably here. The requirements also don't guarantee in any way, shape, or form how much an individual will actually spend. So it is entirely possible that someone who is unable to meet the financial requirements is spending more than someone who meets immigration's financial requirements.

I doubt there's a person on this forum whose decision to emigrate to Thailand wasn't influenced, at least in part, by the cost of living here. So in a sense, we are all seeking economic refuge or safe harbor in one form or another. People need to show more solidarity and compassion. Calling people in these predictaments insulting names is divisive, and shows a disturbing lack of awareness about how quickly any of us could find ourselves in the same boat.

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Most proper countries don't treat it as a criminal offence and treat the offenders like serial murderers in the process. Then dumped in squalid conditions until they cough up or are left for years in filth and degradation. 

Are you sure about that?  I saw some horrible things on tv about people staying illegally in the US. They even put children behind bars. And overstaying a tourist visa also has very nasty consequences.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, he is a professional overstayer.

I've been living legally in LOS for about 15yrs. I'm currently on a Non -O Marriage extension.

Fortunately non of my expat friends have ever confided in me about them being on overstay.

What would you do if you found out direct or indirectly about a friend being on overstay. Would you turn a blind eye or report them via the Hotline?

8 minutes ago, joebrown said:

I've been living legally in LOS for about 15yrs. I'm currently on a Non -O Marriage extension.

Fortunately non of my expat friends have ever confided in me about them being on overstay.

What would you do if you found out direct or indirectly about a friend being on overstay. Would you turn a blind eye or report them via the Hotline?

Oh, a sensible and fair question. At first, I would probably not have any kind of friends that would be on, or even would think about, overstay. I just do not associate with that kind of garbage personality, and I also have mostly Thai friends. That due to that I wanted to come away from the kind of soulless people in the country I am born.

However, If I wore to come into contact with a friend or a nother person on overstay, I would first ask him what the problem is and how that mess happened. If he have a sincere excuse and are sorry for his situation, then I would tell him to get his affairs in order, and possibly offer to lend him the money he need to go home.

After that it´s up to him if he will take that advice. If not, I see him again and all stays the same. Hell yeah, I don´t like overstayers and irresponsible people and would tell him once again what he have to do. If not, I would report his sorry excuse for a human that has far overrun his welcome.

13 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Good question, but do you seriously think that guy has any friends?

More than you would imagine, due to that I am a fair and stright guy that holds my priciples high. That´s also called something that is called earned respect. Probably something you missed already after you fell out from school.

55 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Some of the people on here expressing gung ho support for the government's hotline program to encourage people to report possible immigration violations might want to stop and reflect that it is probably non-Asians who are most likely to be targeted because they visually stand out much more. An Asian person can fly under the radar a lot easier than a non-Asian can. So relying heavily on hotline tips from the public for identifying potential immigration violations probably has a fair amount of built-in racial bias.

A hotline program also encourages the public to discriminate between different groups of foreigners, labeling them as "desirable" and "undesirable" irrespective of their immigration status. That is going to have an impact on how tourists from different racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds are treated, and may have a negative long-term impact on the tourism sector.

Every country has problems with overstayers and illegal entry into the country. With supposedly 30+ million visitors a year, Thailand is going to have its share of illegal immigration. I'm not contesting Thailand's right to enforce its immigration laws, but when the public is actively encouraged to report foreigners, and immigration detentions and raids receive such prominence in the news media, it starts to create a somewhat hostile climate of distrust and xenophobia.

Many of those arrested appear to have had sufficient means to support themselves and to have not been charged with any criminal activity beyond immigration violations. Some clearly thought that they could circumvent immigration rules with impunity. I suspect that some were unable to meet the financial requirements to legally remain in the country. In some cases, this was caused by sudden and unexpected devaluations of home country currencies. Thailand's financial requirements for visas are somewhat arbitrary and based entirely on income or amounts on deposit. They are far higher than what the average Thai has in income or has on deposit in the bank or for what is required to live reasonably comfortably here. The requirements also don't guarantee in any way, shape, or form how much an individual will actually spend. So it is entirely possible that someone who is unable to meet the financial requirements is spending more than someone who meets immigration's financial requirements.

I doubt there's a person on this forum whose decision to emigrate to Thailand wasn't influenced, at least in part, by the cost of living here. So in a sense, we are all seeking economic refuge or safe harbor in one form or another. People need to show more solidarity and compassion. Calling people in these predictaments insulting names is divisive, and shows a disturbing lack of awareness about how quickly any of us could find ourselves in the same boat.

Yeah, what can you say? Life is not fair, but you still have to obey the law and go by the rules.

Your last paragraph is hillarious! We are all seeking economic refugee and a safe harbour??? If you do that, then the right choice would be taking advantage of social services in your own country. Definately not the epople that should even think about moving to another country.

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I new an old guy who had overstayed 4 years, to think of him as some sort of master criminal disgusts me. He was just an old boy who got himself into a spiral that got out of control. He was contributing to Thailand in as much as he was an English teacher. Luckily a friend helped him out and he paid his 20,000baht fine then went home. Now only comes to Thailand on holidays. 

So everything went well in the end, except he can't live here anymore.  But you wonder why he was not working legally as a teacher, not hard to find a school and get a WP.  
Does he deserve to be treated like a criminal? Maybe not, but he broke the law. 
We can agree on one thing, public display like in this picture is not something we want to see in any country. 

1 hour ago, off road pat said:

Give that Nigerian a medal !!! 2,412 days overstay as a black man !?!? he must be very good in what he does !!!!!

That's the same thing my aunt told me when she was scammed out of $1500 20 years ago.  

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Great! Give the snitch a medal. Hope more great news coming soon.

Out with all overstayers and other criminals.

There are more than a few in my town. Do i get a reward besides happy to see more dodgy looking foreigners gone from Thailand? I still say just raid any bar in Pattaya at night and you should be able to get a few plane loads.

46 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Oh, a sensible and fair question. At first, I would probably not have any kind of friends that would be on, or even would think about, overstay. I just do not associate with that kind of garbage personality, and I also have mostly Thai friends. That due to that I wanted to come away from the kind of soulless people in the country I am born.

However, If I wore to come into contact with a friend or a nother person on overstay, I would first ask him what the problem is and how that mess happened. If he have a sincere excuse and are sorry for his situation, then I would tell him to get his affairs in order, and possibly offer to lend him the money he need to go home.

After that it´s up to him if he will take that advice. If not, I see him again and all stays the same. Hell yeah, I don´t like overstayers and irresponsible people and would tell him once again what he have to do. If not, I would report his sorry excuse for a human that has far overrun his welcome.

If i had to take a wild guess i would say there are easily 50,000 foreigners or more hiding here. It won,t break my heart to see them gone.

1 hour ago, joebrown said:

I'd "turn a blind eye" cuz' it's none of my business what he does as long as it's not harming anyone (other than himself).

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:
7 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Overstayers are not always criminals, every individual has his own story man. Never laugh to someone who is drowning if you didn’t cross the river yet. Life is very long..you never know. 

Really? Are you serious. It´s against the law to overstay a visa or an extension. That means somebody is breaking the law when they overstay. If you break the law, you also committ a criminal offense. Then again, that might be far too complicated for you.

Yes, I know. I am a good swimmer.

what he meant is not all overstayers are staying to pursue criminality or hide from the law in another country.  met a guy a long time ago that claimed to be on a 14 year overstay and the reason was he had been taking care of infants and children whose moms had alcohol/drug issues and werent able to care for their own kids. said was on a tight budget and every penny saved on visa travel and fees helped.

Archived