Keep snitching! Nigerian arrested on Koh Phangan on near seven year overstay

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, the guest said:

All foreigners now under the watchful eye of Thais.

... and fellow expats ????

Amazing how things have changed over the past years.

Only a few years ago no expat gave a damn on what kind of visa others were staying here, incl. immi themselves.

People who say this has to do with 'overstayers' are ignoring the reality that this has started with the junta. They are all still there, too. 

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Oh, a sensible and fair question. At first, I would probably not have any kind of friends that would be on, or even would think about, overstay. I just do not associate with that kind of garbage personality, and I also have mostly Thai friends. That due to that I wanted to come away from the kind of soulless people in the country I am born.

However, If I wore to come into contact with a friend or a nother person on overstay, I would first ask him what the problem is and how that mess happened. If he have a sincere excuse and are sorry for his situation, then I would tell him to get his affairs in order, and possibly offer to lend him the money he need to go home.

After that it´s up to him if he will take that advice. If not, I see him again and all stays the same. Hell yeah, I don´t like overstayers and irresponsible people and would tell him once again what he have to do. If not, I would report his sorry excuse for a human that has far overrun his welcome.

you have mosly thai friends........say no more!

5 hours ago, joebrown said:

I've been living legally in LOS for about 15yrs. I'm currently on a Non -O Marriage extension.

Fortunately non of my expat friends have ever confided in me about them being on overstay.

What would you do if you found out direct or indirectly about a friend being on overstay. Would you turn a blind eye or report them via the Hotline?

I would never stoop so low as to report someone just for a overstay violation !!! ...It is not my business and would never be !!!... Live and let live.!!!!

6 hours ago, JaiLai said:

you have mosly thai friends........say no more!

Why is that? Maybe because I came to Thailand artound 23 years ago, and actually tried to live here and accepted the people and the land that I chose to reside and live in.

I also said mostly, which means that I have foreign friends too. It´s just that I chose them as carefully as I chose my Thai friends. That means the selection is much smaller, and therefore make it harder to find good friends.

To make a comment like you just did, is like saying. Why do you come to Thailand and have more Thai friends than foriegn ones? With a little bit of luck, matbe you fins that out somewhere down the line in life. I give you a hint. It has to do with moving to another country. 

7 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

And if the law was shoot overstayers on sight I suppose you would support that too.

No, absolutely not. Shooting people for overstaying does not fit the crime. As I already know, you have not one clue about that based on your quote.

The whole place is lawless, murderers and rapists  allowed to roam the Kingdom without chance of reprisals.

People above the law drink driving, killing and maiming.

Pedophiles in the villages, human and sex trafficking 

Sure it is. That´s horrible and not at all right, which I also point out in my comments on respective threads.

However, what has that to do with this subject and this thread. Are you confused?

You can't see any faults in the Thais can you?

Yes, I can. I have many times given my comments on that too in this forum. You on the other hand are chosing to protect one kind of breaking the law, with excuses that other law breaker are worse and more bad.

You channel all your anger on a civil victim less crime perpetrated by foreigners.

Curious and curiouser 

Stockholm syndrome

Nope, there is no anger in my statements and posts. Do not have time with that, and the bad feeling it would create. You on the other hand are quite focused on me and my personality instead of focusing on the thread.

15 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Really? Are you serious. It´s against the law to overstay a visa or an extension. That means somebody is breaking the law when they overstay. If you break the law, you also committ a criminal offense. Then again, that might be far too complicated for you.

Yes, I know. I am a good swimmer.

Have you ever heard the saying, "laws were meant to be broken", don't get me wrong, I comply with the laws, here and abroad, but those who overstay, as the other poster suggested are not all criminals.

You may be a good swimmer, as I am, however, people who overstay are mainly desperate, doesn't necessarily mean they sell drugs or steal, but need a place to stay and or don't have the funds to get back home, or don't want to go back in fear of being persecuted.

I know of a farang who is in his late 60 from the UK in our village, story is, his wife purchased 3 bars with his retirement money in Pattaya, they didn't do so good, so she started gambling, she up and left Pattaya after losing everything of his, brought him with her back to the village here, yes lost all of his money and is in debt, his passport expired 3 years ago, he has nothing to go back to in the UK and she doesn't have a dime, suffice to say, he is an overstayer, living a very very sad existence in his sister-in-laws house with his wife who is trying to make a living selling noodle soups, sure he made his bed.

Perhaps perading him in front of the cameras, chests out, serious looking immigration officers reporting another overstayer caught would appease the public ?

There is always a story to be told, pictures don't necessarily tell the full story, oh and in case you're wondering, people overstay all around the world, they just don't get paraded like they do here in Thailand. I could say deport him, but I won't, live and let live would be a better term, suffice to say, if he had money and spent it in Thailand, used a fake agent for his paperwork would work as money goes around and appeases those who turn a blind eye, just putting things into perspective.

In recent years, authorities in Thailand have conducted frequent crackdowns on overstayers, including migrants regardless of their refugee status, police often target people of African and South Asian descent, including entire families being locked up in immigration detention centres, the conditions in these centres are appalling, anyways enough said, I think you get my drift, besides the world is a big place in my opinion, humanity can be a good thing, depends on what you want in life.

Not having a go at you, just saying..............???? 

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why is that? Maybe because I came to Thailand artound 23 years ago, and actually tried to live here and accepted the people and the land that I chose to reside and live in.

I also said mostly, which means that I have foreign friends too. It´s just that I chose them as carefully as I chose my Thai friends. That means the selection is much smaller, and therefore make it harder to find good friends.

To make a comment like you just did, is like saying. Why do you come to Thailand and have more Thai friends than foriegn ones? With a little bit of luck, matbe you fins that out somewhere down the line in life. I give you a hint. It has to do with moving to another country. 

thanks for the hint.

1 hour ago, uesnyc said:

I never liked a rat.

But I don't hate Thailand for not following the model of the west. 

Completely different dynamics.

The immigrants to a 3rd world country like this are 99% of the time bringing money in and not working

Immigrants to first world countries are going to work and take money out 

All the really terrible foreigners who live here are completely legit or pay off immigration/police

I know one guy who made a fortune here ripping people of their life savings in boiler rooms in Bangkok.

He then killed a policeman in his car whilst drunk (you can find the story in Hua Hin forums from a few years ago)

He paid off the police and still lives here

He's never over stayed a day...................... but he's fine , a real upstanding member of society!

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but...

There's little reason to doubt that this tag team of posters who constantly voice such virulent contempt for what they see as the farang Unterklasse (underclass) are spewing the same vitriol to Thais every chance they get. Has to be high up on their 'go to' list of topics when conversing with Thais. I'd just like to take a moment to explain why this is so ill-advised and why in all likelihood it is being poorly received by Thais. Hopefully they will stop this behavior both in real life and here on the forum.

1. Thais have a very strong sense of cultural and national unity. You almost never hear Thais bash other Thais or Thailand. When a foreigner bashes other foreigners this is perceived as odd behavior. It doesn't ingratiate yourself into the good graces of the Thai listener. It only serves to stigmatize foreigners, including yourself, as a group.

2. Thais value social harmony. Sowing social discord makes many Thais uncomfortable.

3. Many Thais see foreigners as their customer base. Bad mouthing foreigners by another foreigner is in effect bad mouthing their customer base.

4. Posters badmouthing other foreigners to Thais because they smoke too much, drink too much, don't pay enough attention to their personal hygiene, grooming or wardrobe, or aren't affluent enough, seem to have forgotten that there are plenty of Thais who might just as easily be criticized for the same shortcomings. Plenty of Thais running around in threadbare clothes, struggling with drinking and drug problems, and not sure where the next 100 baht note is going to come from. Many Thais listening to this type of criticism about foreigners are probably left wondering whether they too are being looked down upon in a similar fashion.

5. You're not endearing yourself to Thais by engaging in this behavior. It's perceived as odd self-loathing.

If these posters see themselves as so highly attuned to Thai culture and social mores that they feel they are now in a position to sit in judgement of the rest an expat community (which hasn't yet, and probably never will reach their exalted high level of cultural sensitivity and understanding), instead of constantly sneering at and fomenting discord in the expat community, why not share a few shards of your enormous trove of wisdom and insights so that more cross-cultural bridges can be built?

16 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

If these posters see themselves as so highly attuned to Thai culture and social mores that they feel they are now in a position to sit in judgement of the rest an expat community (which hasn't yet, and probably never will reach their exalted high level of cultural sensitivity and understanding), instead of constantly sneering at and fomenting discord in the expat community, why not share a few shards of your infinite wisdom and insights so that more cross-cultural bridges can be built?

Good post, and i have been having the same thoughts for a few years, yet we cannot change the fact that Thais are more united, say, than Americans or Europeans.

Thais, and it's not an offense, but just my impression, are still living, for many aspects, in a tribal culture, in which every outsider, despite years of strenuous effort, is , and always will be, an outsider.

So, we are never, as Italians or Germans, going back again into the tribal culture, we have left it behind centuries ago, even if we can see that a minority of people in those European countries has still a tribal mentality.

To conclude, i regard individualism as a progress, yet individualism is making us weaker in a way.

...And i think there is not such a thing like "the expat community".

No problem. You are posting an opinion same as I do.

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have you ever heard the saying, "laws were meant to be broken", don't get me wrong, I comply with the laws, here and abroad, but those who overstay, as the other poster suggested are not all criminals.

Of course I´ve heard that. Haven´t everybody. However, I think it was more as a joke when the saying was created. Nowadays turned into a phrase used for the wrong purpose. That the reason they overstay is not because they are criminals is beside the point. If they overstay, they become a person that breaks the law, hence they becomes a criminal. Sure, it´s a small offense in many peoples eyes but still a criminal act. Trying to defend that with they are not overstaying because of criminal lifes or that there are worse crimes, are just plain dumb.

You may be a good swimmer, as I am, however, people who overstay are mainly desperate, doesn't necessarily mean they sell drugs or steal, but need a place to stay and or don't have the funds to get back home, or don't want to go back in fear of being persecuted.

You must be a good swimmer when you chose to relocate to a foreign country, because you will never know what´s around the corner. Therefore good swimmer can be translated to prepared and always having a planned way out in advance.

Here you are mentioning people afraind of beeing prosecuted. They must at least be criminals. If it is in their own country or in Thailand is irrelevant for me. Criminals should have their punishment and not hide in Thailand.

People who not have enough funds or that needs a place to stay, are just bad planners that let things go to far before they are finally awake and aware of their situation. That´s called stupidity and are not a good ingredient in a persons life if they wish to relocate to a foreign country. Not even a good ingredient in their own home country.

I know of a farang who is in his late 60 from the UK in our village, story is, his wife purchased 3 bars with his retirement money in Pattaya, they didn't do so good, so she started gambling, she up and left Pattaya after losing everything of his, brought him with her back to the village here, yes lost all of his money and is in debt, his passport expired 3 years ago, he has nothing to go back to in the UK and she doesn't have a dime, suffice to say, he is an overstayer, living a very very sad existence in his sister-in-laws house with his wife who is trying to make a living selling noodle soups, sure he made his bed.

Sure, I can feel sad and sorry for him. However, as you clearly stated, he made his bed. You can not come to a country and give all you have or let someone handle all your money. As I stated in another post, If he was my friend I would offer to help him clear his <deleted> up and come home. If he still loves his wife, and want to stay. Yeah then it´s clearly something wrong with him.

Perhaps perading him in front of the cameras, chests out, serious looking immigration officers reporting another overstayer caught would appease the public ?

Parading in front of cameras, is just a Thai thing. Nothing that I am positive to at all. If would suffice with an irrelevant picture of statistics and just the informative text. Anyway, It´s a little bit better now when they stopped showing of their faces in the open. But, then again, posters have to complain about defamation and hatred just because they comically put a picture of an alien to cober their faces. The expat community here is truly pathetic in many ways.

There is always a story to be told, pictures don't necessarily tell the full story, oh and in case you're wondering, people overstay all around the world, they just don't get paraded like they do here in Thailand. I could say deport him, but I won't, live and let live would be a better term, suffice to say, if he had money and spent it in Thailand, used a fake agent for his paperwork would work as money goes around and appeases those who turn a blind eye, just putting things into perspective.

I am well aware of that overstaying visas is not a thing only happening in Thailand. However, it will be one of the countries with most overstayer due to its popularity and many visitors every year. Then just maybe, its a bigger problem for Thailand then it is in many other countries. They maybe have to deal with this in a harder way. As a already wrote, that parading people with pictures is not a thing that I agree with.

If somebody have money that is sufficent for living in Thailand, there is no reason to not have a valid visa or not to take care of a permission to stay. If you are going that way, it would be the same as saying that one wrong can be corrected with another wrong and everything would be okey.

In recent years, authorities in Thailand have conducted frequent crackdowns on overstayers, including migrants regardless of their refugee status, police often target people of African and South Asian descent, including entire families being locked up in immigration detention centres, the conditions in these centres are appalling, anyways enough said, I think you get my drift, besides the world is a big place in my opinion, humanity can be a good thing, depends on what you want in life.

Yes, they have! Probably because the problem was growning repidly and they had to start enforce the already existing rules, laws and regulations regarding overstay. They also amended the law with clear and new punishments for overstaying different periods of time.

The reason why they target aficans is too easy to see. They are the third in command after thais and laotians in dealing and distributing rugs in Thailand. At the same time most of the ones dealing with that business also overstay, which makes them an easy target to up the statistics that Thai authorities are begging to next after Buddha himself.

The conditions of the jails and detention centres in Thailand are horrible. There I agree fully, and that they are below all human dignity. However, as you wrote, the world is a big place. Why in the whole wide world, then chose to overstay in Thailand. Because it´s a choice. Everyone can see the signs long before it´s too late, the ones that comes with excuses are only the ones that chosed to look away from the truth for too long.

Sure, in the world and thought of humanity as a good thing. Ther are better and worse excuses. Sometimes, even I that is a hard enforcer of following the law, can shortly fall for an almost valid excuse. Just because it sounds soo sad. Anyway, I quickly wake up and analyze what could have been done before it was too late, or what could have been done in preparation to prevent the overstay from happening. suddenly, There it is, it´s always there. I can see it clearly everytime.

Not having a go at you, just saying..............???? 

No, you were not having a go at me. You opened up for a discussion. More people should do like you. ???? 

I sincerely hope that you do not feel like me having a go at you either. 

6 minutes ago, atyclb said:

so guess compared to an intellectual like you i am just a fool

No, not at all what I meant. Everyone makes a fool out of themself sometimes in life. That does not make them unintellectual or a fool. It might just be a misunderstanding.

Regarding, my comment about that it was just dumb. Yeah, it´s the same. My opinion is not shared by everyone, and sometimes people do or suggest dumb things to.

20 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Some of the people on here expressing gung ho support for the government's hotline program to encourage people to report possible immigration violations might want to stop and reflect that it is probably non-Asians who are most likely to be targeted because they visually stand out much more. An Asian person can fly under the radar a lot easier than a non-Asian can. So relying heavily on hotline tips from the public for identifying potential immigration violations probably has a fair amount of built-in racial bias.

A hotline program also encourages the public to discriminate between different groups of foreigners, labeling them as "desirable" and "undesirable" irrespective of their immigration status. That is going to have an impact on how tourists from different racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds are treated, and may have a negative long-term impact on the tourism sector.

Every country has problems with overstayers and illegal entry into the country. With supposedly 30+ million visitors a year, Thailand is going to have its share of illegal immigration. I'm not contesting Thailand's right to enforce its immigration laws, but when the public is actively encouraged to report foreigners, and immigration detentions and raids receive such prominence in the news media, it starts to create a somewhat hostile climate of distrust and xenophobia.

Many of those arrested appear to have had sufficient means to support themselves and to have not been charged with any criminal activity beyond immigration violations. Some clearly thought that they could circumvent immigration rules with impunity. I suspect that some were unable to meet the financial requirements to legally remain in the country. In some cases, this was caused by sudden and unexpected devaluations of home country currencies. Thailand's financial requirements for visas are somewhat arbitrary and based entirely on income or amounts on deposit. They are far higher than what the average Thai has in income or has on deposit in the bank or for what is required to live reasonably comfortably here. The requirements also don't guarantee in any way, shape, or form how much an individual will actually spend. So it is entirely possible that someone who is unable to meet the financial requirements is spending more than someone who meets immigration's financial requirements.

I doubt there's a person on this forum whose decision to emigrate to Thailand wasn't influenced, at least in part, by the cost of living here. So in a sense, we are all seeking economic refuge or safe harbor in one form or another. People need to show more solidarity and compassion. Calling people in these predictaments insulting names is divisive, and shows a disturbing lack of awareness about how quickly any of us could find ourselves in the same boat.

An excellent post!

However I would like to say that even prior to 2014 I knew a number of Caucasians up my way (Isaan) who showed an unhealthy obsession with other folk's business including their pensions/incomes and visa status.I put it down to the fact that they did not have anything much to do and the complete lack of "social glue"-which was quite evident- not to mention the fact that "farangs" per se are not an homogeneous group by any means.

Such a situation is ripe for virtue signalling and "snitching".

19 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Oh, a sensible and fair question. At first, I would probably not have any kind of friends that would be on, or even would think about, overstay. I just do not associate with that kind of garbage personality, and I also have mostly Thai friends. That due to that I wanted to come away from the kind of soulless people in the country I am born.

However, If I wore to come into contact with a friend or a nother person on overstay, I would first ask him what the problem is and how that mess happened. If he have a sincere excuse and are sorry for his situation, then I would tell him to get his affairs in order, and possibly offer to lend him the money he need to go home.

After that it´s up to him if he will take that advice. If not, I see him again and all stays the same. Hell yeah, I don´t like overstayers and irresponsible people and would tell him once again what he have to do. If not, I would report his sorry excuse for a human that has far overrun his welcome.

I usually get drawn into a TV thread by the Headline and then after digesting a couple of pages of posts, I move onto another topic. However, in this instance I was shocked by your post #6, so I kept reading until I was tempted to enter the fray.

I find your 1st paragraph above to be perhaps the most enlightening as to your character. Does your dogmatism run so deep that you can find no better word than 'garbage' to describe overstayers? I agree that in Thai law they are criminals, but without deeper knowledge of their circumstances/behaviour, I wouldn't denigrate them any further, as you do. The final line of the paragraph

mentions 'soulless people' where you were born. Does it never occur to you that you are displaying the very same traits you seemed so keen to leave behind in your country of birth?

I've lived here long enough to understand when to or not to abide by the letter of the law. It's worth bearing in mind that our lives can be eliminated very quickly for about 20,000bht by any Thai wife's contacts if she feels so inclined, should someone have just incarcerated her 'meal ticket' on a dogmatic principle! For this reason and because I'm not soulless I would 'turn a blind eye' to overstaying unless there were other deeper, more serious criminal activities to consider.

1 hour ago, joebrown said:

I usually get drawn into a TV thread by the Headline and then after digesting a couple of pages of posts, I move onto another topic. However, in this instance I was shocked by your post #6, so I kept reading until I was tempted to enter the fray.

I find your 1st paragraph above to be perhaps the most enlightening as to your character. Does your dogmatism run so deep that you can find no better word than 'garbage' to describe overstayers? I agree that in Thai law they are criminals, but without deeper knowledge of their circumstances/behaviour, I wouldn't denigrate them any further, as you do. The final line of the paragraph

mentions 'soulless people' where you were born. Does it never occur to you that you are displaying the very same traits you seemed so keen to leave behind in your country of birth?

No I was keen to leave behind boring people, and just create a better life for myself in another country. Visited over 30 countries before I decided to stay in Thailand.

1 hour ago, joebrown said:

I've lived here long enough to understand when to or not to abide by the letter of the law. It's worth bearing in mind that our lives can be eliminated very quickly for about 20,000bht by any Thai wife's contacts if she feels so inclined, should someone have just incarcerated her 'meal ticket' on a dogmatic principle! For this reason and because I'm not soulless I would 'turn a blind eye' to overstaying unless there were other deeper, more serious criminal activities to consider.

So, then we shall live here watching out do not do anything that gets a person to put a contract on our sorry butts? Means that a person turn the blind eye because they are just feeling the scare deep in their guts. 

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

No I was keen to leave behind boring people, and just create a better life for myself in another country. Visited over 30 countries before I decided to stay in Thailand.

So, then we shall live here watching out do not do anything that gets a person to put a contract on our sorry butts? Means that a person turn the blind eye because they are just feeling the scare deep in their guts. 

OK, so the soulless people are now boring people. Your change of tack doesn't alter my opinion of you.

No, I don't live my life in fear, and neither should anyone living lawfully in LOS. However, you might be wise to remember that the consequences of you interactions here may not result in the same response you might expect in your country of birth.

3 minutes ago, joebrown said:

OK, so the soulless people are now boring people. Your change of tack doesn't alter my opinion of you.

No, I don't live my life in fear, and neither should anyone living lawfully in LOS. However, you might be wise to remember that the consequences of you interactions here may not result in the same response you might expect in your country of birth.

Thanks for the advice. I know the result of actions both here  and many other places in the world.

Your opinion about me, is totally irrelevant. You do better concentrate on the topic instead of me.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Thanks for the advice. I know the result of actions both here  and many other places in the world.

Your opinion about me, is totally irrelevant. You do better concentrate on the topic instead of me.

You're welcome. You appear to be more than well equipped in the art of winning friends and influencing people, so 'enough said'!

Archived