BANGKOK
Pib

Windows 10 Version "1909" Available as of 12 Nov 2019

Version 1909 is now available.  In fact, if you have version version 1903 installed with its 8 October 2019 update from a month ago then version 1909 is already installed on your computer but in a dormant state...just not enabled.   

You just need to install the "enablement" package released 12 Nov to activate it.  Supposedly this method allows update to the next version to occur much faster versus taking maybe an hour like some previous version updates.   

See below from Windows website.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4529964/windows-10-update-history

What's new for Windows 10, version 1909 and Windows 10, version 1903 release notes

Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909 share a common core operating system and an identical set of system files. As a result, the new features in Windows 10, version 1909 were included in the recent monthly quality update for Windows 10, version 1903 (released October 8, 2019), but are currently in a dormant state. These new features will remain dormant until they are turned on using an enablement package, which is a small, quick-to-install “master switch” that simply activates the Windows 10, version 1909 features.

To reflect this change, the release notes for Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows 10, version 1909 will share an update history page. Each release page will contain a list of addressed issues for both 1903 and 1909 versions. Note that the 1909 version will always contain the fixes for 1903; however, 1903 will not contain the fixes for 1909. This page will provide you with the build numbers for both 1909 and 1903 versions so that it will be easier for support to assist you if you encounter issues.

For more details about the enablement package and how to get the feature update, see the Windows 10, version 1909 delivery options blog.

• Like 1

After an hour and half of updating have it installed now (there was also an update to 1903 today as well as other products) - as can not use ssd on my computer really hope that future updates are faster - as often Microsoft percentage is meaningless and when stays at 0 forever one can get anxious.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

After an hour and half of updating have it installed now (there was also an update to 1903 today as well as other products) - as can not use ssd on my computer really hope that future updates are faster - as often Microsoft percentage is meaningless and when stays at 0 forever one can get anxious.  

Just to confirm, you had 1903 installed? 

Is so, according to the MS propaganda if you already had 1903 installed the update from 1903 to 1909 was suppose to be a lot faster than their past major updates....take about the same time as their periodic cumulative updates that normally came out twice a month....normally take around 10 to 15 minutes to download/install.  But if a person say still had an earlier version installed like version 1809 then the update to 1909 would be the normal "take an hour or so to complete the upgrade." 

I did not do the version upgrade to 1909 this morning as I have my Win 10 Pro "feature" update set to a 15 day delay right now....which I can change/shorten/lengthen as desired.   Anytime a major upgrade (i.e., features upgrade) comes out every 6 months or so I like waiting several weeks to month for bugs to be worked out.   

But I did install the cumulative update for 1903 this morning....that only took about 10 minutes....that went fine....I have an i7 CPU laptop with SSD.

Installation of the 1909 update took just a few minutes, but sadly it didn't fix the low audio volume problem (which occurs on my system, and according to Google on many others) which came with update 1903

14 hours ago, Pib said:

Version 1909 is now available.  In fact, if you have version version 1903 installed with its 8 October 2019 update from a month ago then version 1909 is already installed on your computer but in a dormant state...just not enabled.   

Mine went thru that today, first the Cum Update for November, and then the 1909 feature update. (I already had 1903 previously installed.) Between the Cum Update and then the Feature update, along with a couple of other misc MS updates, it ALMOST would have taken less time to do an entirely new Windows install (leaving aside the post OS setup work).

The time and hassle factor with these updates are ridiculous. And I dunno about other folks' computers, but I've noticed that any time I have one of these major updates pending (even though my system has not given me any notice of a pending or needed install), my whole OS starts acting slow and cranky in responding to commands.

And then, once I've manually triggered and completed the updates, everything's back to smooth responses again. It's ticking me off!!!!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

Check after this update if your USB stick icon did not changed in some look like a PC tower ...as it seems a bug , some messages on internet about it ...and mine changed indeed to it 

I am in fear of turning my lop top off in case of an Update. it usually takes a long time to download . install and . reboot the computer and then I don't know what issues I will have and how long it will take me to resolve these issues'

lately every time there is an update my battery status icon goes away and it takes me some time off research and of changing things I am not comfortable  changing to get it back

This is my last windows based computer, next computer is a Mac.

windows 10 does nothing for the average user that windows 7 did not.  The start menus are less intuitive.  The format and layout is poor and functionally does nothing new.  It is a work and use slow down from the get go.  Of course since Windows 7 Microsoft support is supposedly ending soon, well, we shall see what happens.  My windows 7 machine I bought 5 years ago with a solid state drive is blazingly fast for anything I need and will hate to have to change anything.  Sure new gadgets can be fun and one is tempted to go with the flow, but it is nothing I need.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am in fear of turning my lop top off in case of an Update. it usually takes a long time to download . install and . reboot the computer and then I don't know what issues I will have and how long it will take me to resolve these issues'

That is entirely down to you.  You can choose when and how updates are downloaded and installed.

28 minutes ago, treetops said:

That is entirely down to you.  You can choose when and how updates are downloaded and installed.

Thanks for the reply.

I set the "automatically adjust active hours" hopefully it will now download and install updates when I sleep. so that I don't have to wait for an hour for it to install updates  when I start my computer. 

It still does not fix the problems caused by updates. One would think that they beta check these updates first.

For me the last two updates I lost my battery status icon , and had to do a lot of research and jump through many hoops to get it back. 

Very frustrating, 

I am just afraid if I change to a Mac ( I am seriously considering it) that I will be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Anyway Thanks again.

7 hours ago, david555 said:

Check after this update if your USB stick icon did not changed in some look like a PC tower ...as it seems a bug , some messages on internet about it ...and mine changed indeed to it 

Just upgraded to 1909. Took about 10 minutes including reboot. No changes to USB icon for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And I dunno about other folks' computers, but I've noticed that any time I have one of these major updates pending (even though my system has not given me any notice of a pending or needed install), my whole OS starts acting slow and cranky in responding to commands.

Amen to that - my computer was virtually unusable Tuesday evening and check said no updates.  Went to bed and Wednesday was working OK but check showed many updates pending.  Same thing happened last month.  And updates take almost two hours with no indication anything going on at times it is a klutzy system at best - just hope the 1909 speeds things up - indeed it did install quickly.

• Like 1

My computer updated to 1909 very quickly, less than 3 minutes. I hope future updates are as fast, before it used to take an hour or more.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

My computer updated to 1909 very quickly, less than 3 minutes. I hope future updates are as fast, before it used to take an hour or more.

When mine was done yesterday (and I have all my updates set to automatic), it involved at least 4 different update packages being installed in the same session:

--Nov 2019 cumulative update

--1909 feature update

--standard MS malware removal tool

--security intelligence update for Windows Defender

(of which I see there were 5! different versions installed that day).

424448520_2019-11-1410_21_07.jpg.0fb61898d7903052fbb57b07e55225e8.jpg

Of the entire group, the Nov 2019 cumulative update took the longest to install, much longer than the 1909 feature update by itself. But when I totaled up the entire amount of time to complete the entire process including restarts, it was somewhere longer than a half hour,

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1