Windows 10 Version "1909" Available as of 12 Nov 2019

Pib

Version 1909 is now available.  In fact, if you have version version 1903 installed with its 8 October 2019 update from a month ago then version 1909 is already installed on your computer but in a dormant state...just not enabled.   

You just need to install the "enablement" package released 12 Nov to activate it.  Supposedly this method allows update to the next version to occur much faster versus taking maybe an hour like some previous version updates.   

See below from Windows website.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4529964/windows-10-update-history

What's new for Windows 10, version 1909 and Windows 10, version 1903 release notes

Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909 share a common core operating system and an identical set of system files. As a result, the new features in Windows 10, version 1909 were included in the recent monthly quality update for Windows 10, version 1903 (released October 8, 2019), but are currently in a dormant state. These new features will remain dormant until they are turned on using an enablement package, which is a small, quick-to-install “master switch” that simply activates the Windows 10, version 1909 features.

To reflect this change, the release notes for Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows 10, version 1909 will share an update history page. Each release page will contain a list of addressed issues for both 1903 and 1909 versions. Note that the 1909 version will always contain the fixes for 1903; however, 1903 will not contain the fixes for 1909. This page will provide you with the build numbers for both 1909 and 1903 versions so that it will be easier for support to assist you if you encounter issues.

For more details about the enablement package and how to get the feature update, see the Windows 10, version 1909 delivery options blog.

After an hour and half of updating have it installed now (there was also an update to 1903 today as well as other products) - as can not use ssd on my computer really hope that future updates are faster - as often Microsoft percentage is meaningless and when stays at 0 forever one can get anxious.  

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

After an hour and half of updating have it installed now (there was also an update to 1903 today as well as other products) - as can not use ssd on my computer really hope that future updates are faster - as often Microsoft percentage is meaningless and when stays at 0 forever one can get anxious.  

Just to confirm, you had 1903 installed? 

Is so, according to the MS propaganda if you already had 1903 installed the update from 1903 to 1909 was suppose to be a lot faster than their past major updates....take about the same time as their periodic cumulative updates that normally came out twice a month....normally take around 10 to 15 minutes to download/install.  But if a person say still had an earlier version installed like version 1809 then the update to 1909 would be the normal "take an hour or so to complete the upgrade." 

I did not do the version upgrade to 1909 this morning as I have my Win 10 Pro "feature" update set to a 15 day delay right now....which I can change/shorten/lengthen as desired.   Anytime a major upgrade (i.e., features upgrade) comes out every 6 months or so I like waiting several weeks to month for bugs to be worked out.   

But I did install the cumulative update for 1903 this morning....that only took about 10 minutes....that went fine....I have an i7 CPU laptop with SSD.

14 hours ago, Pib said:

Version 1909 is now available.  In fact, if you have version version 1903 installed with its 8 October 2019 update from a month ago then version 1909 is already installed on your computer but in a dormant state...just not enabled.   

Mine went thru that today, first the Cum Update for November, and then the 1909 feature update. (I already had 1903 previously installed.) Between the Cum Update and then the Feature update, along with a couple of other misc MS updates, it ALMOST would have taken less time to do an entirely new Windows install (leaving aside the post OS setup work).

The time and hassle factor with these updates are ridiculous. And I dunno about other folks' computers, but I've noticed that any time I have one of these major updates pending (even though my system has not given me any notice of a pending or needed install), my whole OS starts acting slow and cranky in responding to commands.

And then, once I've manually triggered and completed the updates, everything's back to smooth responses again. It's ticking me off!!!!

I am in fear of turning my lop top off in case of an Update. it usually takes a long time to download . install and . reboot the computer and then I don't know what issues I will have and how long it will take me to resolve these issues'

lately every time there is an update my battery status icon goes away and it takes me some time off research and of changing things I am not comfortable  changing to get it back

This is my last windows based computer, next computer is a Mac.

windows 10 does nothing for the average user that windows 7 did not.  The start menus are less intuitive.  The format and layout is poor and functionally does nothing new.  It is a work and use slow down from the get go.  Of course since Windows 7 Microsoft support is supposedly ending soon, well, we shall see what happens.  My windows 7 machine I bought 5 years ago with a solid state drive is blazingly fast for anything I need and will hate to have to change anything.  Sure new gadgets can be fun and one is tempted to go with the flow, but it is nothing I need.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am in fear of turning my lop top off in case of an Update. it usually takes a long time to download . install and . reboot the computer and then I don't know what issues I will have and how long it will take me to resolve these issues'

That is entirely down to you.  You can choose when and how updates are downloaded and installed.

28 minutes ago, treetops said:

That is entirely down to you.  You can choose when and how updates are downloaded and installed.

Thanks for the reply.

I set the "automatically adjust active hours" hopefully it will now download and install updates when I sleep. so that I don't have to wait for an hour for it to install updates  when I start my computer. 

It still does not fix the problems caused by updates. One would think that they beta check these updates first.

For me the last two updates I lost my battery status icon , and had to do a lot of research and jump through many hoops to get it back. 

Very frustrating, 

I am just afraid if I change to a Mac ( I am seriously considering it) that I will be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Anyway Thanks again.

7 hours ago, david555 said:

Check after this update if your USB stick icon did not changed in some look like a PC tower ...as it seems a bug , some messages on internet about it ...and mine changed indeed to it 

Just upgraded to 1909. Took about 10 minutes including reboot. No changes to USB icon for me.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And I dunno about other folks' computers, but I've noticed that any time I have one of these major updates pending (even though my system has not given me any notice of a pending or needed install), my whole OS starts acting slow and cranky in responding to commands.

Amen to that - my computer was virtually unusable Tuesday evening and check said no updates.  Went to bed and Wednesday was working OK but check showed many updates pending.  Same thing happened last month.  And updates take almost two hours with no indication anything going on at times it is a klutzy system at best - just hope the 1909 speeds things up - indeed it did install quickly.

54 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

My computer updated to 1909 very quickly, less than 3 minutes. I hope future updates are as fast, before it used to take an hour or more.

When mine was done yesterday (and I have all my updates set to automatic), it involved at least 4 different update packages being installed in the same session:

--Nov 2019 cumulative update

--1909 feature update

--standard MS malware removal tool

--security intelligence update for Windows Defender

(of which I see there were 5! different versions installed that day).

424448520_2019-11-1410_21_07.jpg.0fb61898d7903052fbb57b07e55225e8.jpg

Of the entire group, the Nov 2019 cumulative update took the longest to install, much longer than the 1909 feature update by itself. But when I totaled up the entire amount of time to complete the entire process including restarts, it was somewhere longer than a half hour,

Strange the "feature" update (purely the feature update) is taking so long to install for some of you as the MS propaganda says it should take a lot less time than their previous feature updates.   And when I say the feature update I mean "only", repeat only that particular fie number KB4524570 and not other updates.   

All other KBs like for the cumulative update for 1903 which would install before the 1909 feature update, Windows Defender, Intelligent Update, Malicious Software Removal Tool, etc., are "not" part of the feature update....just separate updates that were released at the same time.

Like the other day the only two updates offered to me were the 1903 cumulative update and the monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool.  I don't use Windows Defender but separate anti virus program.   I was only offered these two updates because I have my Win 10 Pro set to delay feature updates by X-days until I want to install them.

I watched a couple of youtube videos last night where people installed "only" the feature update (KB4524570) after all other updates had been installed and the feature update installed in just a few minutes since it was really just activating files/features that had been installed/setting dormant since the early Oct 2020 1903 cumulative update.   

I'm going to wait another week (or more) before I install 1909 on my two laptops....I now have the feature update delayed.  But I may get brave an install in on one of my computers (my backup/secondary computer) over the next few days since there haven't been any major "OMG" problem reports so far  probably because it's a minor features update.   When I do the install then I will find out if the MS propaganda was correct in that the "feature update only" goes a lot faster than previous feature updates....MS has been known to tell whoppers.

27 minutes ago, Pib said:

Strange the "feature" update (purely the feature update)

In my case installed the normal updates prior to the optional 1909 so that may account for time involved.  My old Lazada Idea Center (original model) does not like ssd so hdd speed.  After doing the normal updates did the 1909 and that was much faster but not sure if because was already ready. less to install or actually faster.  For normal home usage hdd not that big an issue but for updates less than ideal.   

On 11/13/2019 at 5:16 PM, sirineou said:

Thanks for the reply.

I set the "automatically adjust active hours" hopefully it will now download and install updates when I sleep. so that I don't have to wait for an hour for it to install updates  when I start my computer. 

It still does not fix the problems caused by updates. One would think that they beta check these updates first.

For me the last two updates I lost my battery status icon , and had to do a lot of research and jump through many hoops to get it back. 

Very frustrating, 

I am just afraid if I change to a Mac ( I am seriously considering it) that I will be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Anyway Thanks again.

Update after changing my update settings, my laptop installed the latest update while I was sleeping with no interruption to my routine  and I am happy to say that the latest  update has not made any negative changes I can notice.

My battery status icon is still there LOL 

I got a new laptop today....special order from Lenovo.  Took 14 days from the order date, Lenovo building it at their China factory, and delivery to me in Thailand.  It came with Win 10 Pro factory installed.  It also came with MS Office installed but not activated.  That's all the software it has installed.   

When first turning it on today since it had Win 10 Pro 1903 installed at the factory a few weeks ago the first thing it wanted to do was to get 1903 fully up to date.  After getting 1903 fully updated then Windows Update offered the 1909 update.  

I went ahead and installed 1909 and timed the upgrade from 1903 to 1909.   Remember, this is on a brand new laptop (i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB M.2 SSD, etc) without a bunch of programs installed other than MS Office.

When starting the upgrade to 1909 the "installing part from the Windows Update Screen" took 5 min 40 sec....it then said the computer needs to reboot to complete the install....this "reboot part" took 2 min 10 sec.  So total upgrade time from 1903 to 1909 on a new computer with basically just Windows installed took 7 min 50 sec....ah heck, lets just round that up to 8 minutes.

So, the feature upgrade from 1903 to 1909 can indeed occur fast.

13 hours ago, Pib said:

I got a new laptop today....special order from Lenovo.  Took 14 days from the order date, Lenovo building it at their China factory, and delivery to me in Thailand.  It came with Win 10 Pro factory installed.  It also came with MS Office installed but not activated.  That's all the software it has installed.   

When first turning it on today since it had Win 10 Pro 1903 installed at the factory a few weeks ago the first thing it wanted to do was to get 1903 fully up to date.  After getting 1903 fully updated then Windows Update offered the 1909 update.  

I went ahead and installed 1909 and timed the upgrade from 1903 to 1909.   Remember, this is on a brand new laptop (i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB M.2 SSD, etc) without a bunch of programs installed other than MS Office.

When starting the upgrade to 1909 the "installing part from the Windows Update Screen" took 5 min 40 sec....it then said the computer needs to reboot to complete the install....this "reboot part" took 2 min 10 sec.  So total upgrade time from 1903 to 1909 on a new computer with basically just Windows installed took 7 min 50 sec....ah heck, lets just round that up to 8 minutes.

So, the feature upgrade from 1903 to 1909 can indeed occur fast.

Even though I don't have a new laptop, my experience was similar to yours. In fact it was noticeably longer installing the Cumulative update for 1903 than it was for the upgrade to 1909. Below is a snap of my recent update history; I'm not sure why I have (2) beside the 1909 install? (Perhaps it is the second feature update?)

737036919_updatehistory.jpg.61ef1d6a33df2339dc0544b5105fe8ba.jpg

14 hours ago, Pib said:

Hi Pib

I'm looking for a new Laptop to replace my 6 yr old Lenovo that I've been more or less happy with. Can you supply a link to the website you used to order yours. I would prefer an English only keyboard, is that possible? Were there any duties/custom issues? How about warranty, covered in Thailand and for how long.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Yea...other folks have reported the same where 1909 apparently installed twice....like below snapshot from another site. 

And I just went and looked at my new laptop regarding yesterdays 1909 install (I'm just letting the computer burn in right now in another room) and it also showed "1909 (2)" like maybe it installed twice.

image.png.debc272093c3fa84160210cf0fc75125.png

Maybe...I don't know.    It is common for the same file downloaded again to the same location for the operating/file system to add a (2) after the core file name......like Abc.com for the first download and Abc(2).com for a second download.  Download it a third time to the same location and you'll get an Abc(3).com file name.   

Maybe since the core 1909 files were included in an early Oct 1903 cumulative update and only needed to be activated, then the 1909 activation file download just carries a (2) as part of the file name.   Maybe some other folks who have installed the 1909 update can look and see what file name shows for them.....maybe everybody ends up showing a 1909 (2) file name.

48 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What is that....burn in? I just got a new Intel NUC i5, no 'burn in' just go. It upgraded fine in 20 minutes all in.

Burn-in is just to let it run continuously for X-amount of time like 48 to 72 hours to see if any "hardware" failure may occur....some refer to it as the infant mortality period.   With electronic type items the failure rate is the highest "early" and "late" in their normal life cycle.   Normally, if a new piece of electronics gets thru it first couple of days without a hardware failure it will be years before it possibly experiences a hardware failure. 

I don't want to start loading/transferring any of my software/data until completing 48 to 72 hours....don't want to get all my stuff loaded on the computer.  If it fails hard then it might require being sent back back for warranty repair with my "stuff still on the drive."  Plus I would have wasted time loading my stuff.

image.png.be635142f2d52844396f1a58e5fc94c7.png

10 hours ago, trevor67 said:

Hi Pib

I'm looking for a new Laptop to replace my 6 yr old Lenovo that I've been more or less happy with. Can you supply a link to the website you used to order yours. I would prefer an English only keyboard, is that possible? Were there any duties/custom issues? How about warranty, covered in Thailand and for how long.

Thanks in advance for any info.

It's the Lenovo Thailand website.  Unfortunately, Google Translate is your friend at this website.   Approx 6 months ago instead of a website just giving your basic info about Lenovo computers and retail cost they also started doing online sales.

https://www.lenovo.com/th/th/pc

Lots of good deals....sales/promotions/ecoupons all the time...sometimes for a few days....sometime for weeks.  You may find a computer you want is on sale for a few days....and then find it on sale again a month later at an even better/lower price.  Like Lenovo had a big sale for the 9 Sep period that the called the 9.9 sale (lucky numbers) and again for 11 Nov they called their 11.11 sale (lucky numbers again)....I bought mine laptop during their 11.11 sale.   You just need to check often as deals come and go.  You can buy pre-configured computers like you find on store shelves.  Or, you can customized/build-your-own-computer like I did.   I ended up getting my laptop for several hundred dollars less than if I had ordered at the US Lenovo website because of the Lenovo Thailand specific 11.11 sale & 11.11 ecoupon.  

Keyboard is English & Thai just like you see in Thai stores.  Warranty is for one year on my particular model but I could have paid extra for more years.  Warranty period depends on the model you get.  No customs/duties/tax/any extra cost....only the quoted cost for the buy.  Zero problems and no surprises with customs/duties/shipping/payment.  And I used my US credit card to pay which allowed me to earn the card's standard 2% cash back plus another $200 (Bt6,000) since this was a brand new card which would pay a cash back bonus if spending X-amount within the first 3 months of having the card...buying the laptop allowed me to get that bonus.  Yeap, on my buy I got a Lenovo discount/sale price and then another Lenovo ecoupon reduction and then my credit card's standard and bonus cash back....I be happy.

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Maybe some other folks who have installed the 1909 update can look and see what file name shows for them.....maybe everybody ends up showing a 1909 (2) file name.

No (2) after the 1909 update for me.

image.png.35593c3a349cc3ac742acd6889c4cd81.png

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Burn-in is just to let it run continuously for X-amount of time like 48 to 72 hours to see if any "hardware" failure may occur....some refer to it as the infant mortality period.   With electronic type items the failure rate is the highest "early" and "late" in their normal life cycle.   Normally, if a new piece of electronics gets thru it first couple of days without a hardware failure it will be years before it possibly experiences a hardware failure.

Decent manufacturer's will have done this before it left the factory.  I would expect Lenovo to have done this.

Archived