Windows 10 Version "1909" Available as of 12 Nov 2019

Pib

Oh, in modern day factories producing thousands of electronic items (such as computers) daily those devices just undergo diagnostic testing by robots and/or humans as they go down the factory line....as being assembled.   Testing with specialized diagnostic equipment and testing software.  It can be as simple as booting from a USB port with special diagnostic software that runs a bunch of tests for a few minutes.  And I expect a "very sample" random sample are put under more extensive testing and several hours to days burn-in period to obtained detailed quality assurance data to determine what adjustments to the assembly and testing process needs to be made. 

But where "every" product manufactured is put in a room to burn-in for a few days to further check for any hardware problems/infant mortality failure that would require additional time, facilities, equipment, and manpower which means higher costs.   And that higher costs would probably not identify a significant quantity of defective material to justify the cost based on statistical data. 

But for me who had a military/civilian career regarding repair/cal of test/avionics equipment I saw plenty of cases where brand new equipment (expensive equipment) failed within a few hours/days/weeks of its life.  Fortunately, it was a small percentage but the owner of the equipment was not happy....impacted...as that brand new equipment then required warranty repair/replacement which took time.

And personally, I've even had a new Gigabyte motherboard fail in a desktop after 1 day.  Nothing like using the computer for a day...turning it on the next morning and getting a BIOS failure code.  I got a replacement under warranty and that motherboard lived for many years. 

Naw, current day electronic manufacturing does certain testing during the assembly line process and a small percentage will be pull for more extensive (hour, days) burn-in/infant mortality testing.

Also, what I did a few minutes ago as install a free piece of freeware that shows me drive SMART data...like how many hours the M.2  SSD drive has been in use....it showed 6 (six) hours which represents the time the drive has been "fully powered up" vs being in sleep mode, turned off, etc.   Although I have had the computer on for about 40 hours now I have been allowing it to go into sleep mode after 20 minutes when I haven't been continuously using it...I'll bring it out of sleep mode several times per day...actually completely power down and power up the computer to put additional strain on the computer....use the computer for 5 to 10 minutes...etc.    So over the last 40 hours I have actually been setting in front of the computer using it for 6 hours (the great majority of that on day one) which required the drive being powered up all the time...me typing on the keyboard...installing Windows updates...browsing....etc.  And the rest of the time its just bringing the computer in and out of sleep mode, doing reboots, using the computer, etc....etc.   Now if any significant burn-in at the factory would have occurred my drive would be reporting a lot more than 6 hours of use.  

14 hours ago, Pib said:

It's the Lenovo Thailand website.  Unfortunately, Google Translate is your friend at this website.   Approx 6 months ago instead of a website just giving your basic info about Lenovo computers and retail cost they also started doing online sales.

https://www.lenovo.com/th/th/pc

Lots of good deals....sales/promotions/ecoupons all the time...sometimes for a few days....sometime for weeks.  You may find a computer you want is on sale for a few days....and then find it on sale again a month later at an even better/lower price.  Like Lenovo had a big sale for the 9 Sep period that the called the 9.9 sale (lucky numbers) and again for 11 Nov they called their 11.11 sale (lucky numbers again)....I bought mine laptop during their 11.11 sale.   You just need to check often as deals come and go.  You can buy pre-configured computers like you find on store shelves.  Or, you can customized/build-your-own-computer like I did.   I ended up getting my laptop for several hundred dollars less than if I had ordered at the US Lenovo website because of the Lenovo Thailand specific 11.11 sale & 11.11 ecoupon.  

Keyboard is English & Thai just like you see in Thai stores.  Warranty is for one year on my particular model but I could have paid extra for more years.  Warranty period depends on the model you get.  No customs/duties/tax/any extra cost....only the quoted cost for the buy.  Zero problems and no surprises with customs/duties/shipping/payment.  And I used my US credit card to pay which allowed me to earn the card's standard 2% cash back plus another $200 (Bt6,000) since this was a brand new card which would pay a cash back bonus if spending X-amount within the first 3 months of having the card...buying the laptop allowed me to get that bonus.  Yeap, on my buy I got a Lenovo discount/sale price and then another Lenovo ecoupon reduction and then my credit card's standard and bonus cash back....I be happy.

Thanks Pib for your detailed response, I got my present Lenovo from there US online site way back then. My time frame is the next 4 months....I'll keep my eye out for there next sale, and will probably PM you in the future with more questions if that's OK.

Thanks again for that great info.

I'd suggest just buying a Lenovo laptop from InvadeIT, Jib or Advice.

InvadeIT is run by a cool foreigner guy I have never had bad service from them. never returned anything to Jib or Advice yet (very limited buys)

I avoided buying directly from Lenovo 2 weeks ago (11:11 sale) just because they listed their laptops as 1 year warranty, while all the other site above had 2 years warranty.

I ended up buying it from Advice as they had a similar sale and I received a free laptop backpack with it (it's great)

12 hours ago, Pib said:

But where "every" product manufactured is put in a room to burn-in for a few days to further check for any hardware problems/infant mortality failure that would require additional time, facilities, equipment, and manpower which means higher costs.   And that higher costs would probably not identify a significant quantity of defective material to justify the cost based on statistical data.

I can assure you that there were PC manufacturers who did exactly this as I worked in the industry.  Whether the current Chinese manufacturers such as Lenovo do I can't say, but some of their Western predecessors certainly did when reliability was perhaps prized more.

• 3 weeks later...

Since MS released it's first update to 1909 on 10 Dec 2019 I figured that update would fix any major/known glitches so I updated my two Lenovo laptops today.  First I installed the latest update for 1903 which also came out on  10 Dec.  I then upgraded to 1909.   

Download & installation of 1909 takes very little time if your are updating from 1903 to 1909 since both versions carry the same core files.  In fact, MS included the 1909 core files in a Oct 2019 update to 1903 and all that required to upgrade to 1909 is an small activation program that activates the core 1909 files already on your computer assuming your where running/keeping 1903 up to date. 

On my i7 CPU/8GB RAM/512GB SSD laptop 1909 took 3 minutes to download/install (the activation file downloaded is tiny) and on my i5 CPU/8GB RAM/512GB SSD laptop it took 4 minutes to download/install. 

Todays updates to MS office software/NET/1909 took about 50 minutes on an older Lenovo B310 IdeaCenter (all in one from 2011) with normal HDD.  SSD is really the way to go if you can but for me it hung computer every few minutes and none of the Google fixs were effective for cloned drive and fresh install of operating system could not find display drivers to work correctly so have to return to HDD which for most things is not too bad - and a lot better than the SSD lockups.  

On 11/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, trevor67 said:

Hi Pib

I'm looking for a new Laptop to replace my 6 yr old Lenovo that I've been more or less happy with. Can you supply a link to the website you used to order yours. I would prefer an English only keyboard, is that possible? Were there any duties/custom issues? How about warranty, covered in Thailand and for how long.

Thanks in advance for any info.

My personal experience with Lenovo is that I will never have another. 

Had a Yoga 510 ast AMD 9 chipset. 8gb ram 1tb drive. 

It used to take around 2 minutes to get started. 

Even if you used the 2.9 turbo settings. 

Windows 10.

About £600 new, i offloaded it for £325.

I finished up with a Link 64 gb with ssd and a detachable keyboard and touch screen. 12 inch.

I don't need a business type machine anymore. 

This has been brilliant. 

About 25 seconds boot from cold. Intel chip. 

Worth looking at if anyone is after a phablet type. 

And as low as £150 plus a vat refund in the UK. 

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Todays updates to MS office software/NET/1909 took about 50 minutes on an older Lenovo B310 IdeaCenter (all in one from 2011) with normal HDD.  SSD is really the way to go if you can but for me it hung computer every few minutes and none of the Google fixs were effective for cloned drive and fresh install of operating system could not find display drivers to work correctly so have to return to HDD which for most things is not too bad - and a lot better than the SSD lockups.  

Sounds like user error to me.

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/39683-lenovo-ideacentre-b310-driver-problem.html

No issues with display Drivers.

What SSD did you use?

Other people seem to have installed Windows 10 on to SSD without major issue. There are certainly suitable display Drivers available for Windows 10. 

I suggest you identify the exact model and try again, with a decent SSD.

https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/lenovo/laptops-desktops/ideacentre-b310/10778

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/FixingTheTouchScreenInWindows81OnMyOldHPTouchSmartWithNextWindowDrivers.aspx

It was a Kingston 480 GB ssd and had no issue getting Windows10 onto it but what they loaded for video driver would not go above about 1300 and my display is 1900 and was distorted too much to use.  Using clone where believe drivers were in a hidden partition had no such issues but random activity to SSD every few minutes totally locked up display and computer making it more trouble than it was worth.  This is a touch screen system that believe was only sold in Thailand and have seen reports that only Samsung SSD will work.  I have been using Windows10 since it was released with no issues on HDD - only when on SSD have I had issues.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It was a Kingston 480 GB ssd and had no issue getting Windows10 onto it but what they loaded for video driver would not go above about 1300 and my display is 1900 and was distorted too much to use.  Using clone where believe drivers were in a hidden partition had no such issues but random activity to SSD every few minutes totally locked up display and computer making it more trouble than it was worth.  This is a touch screen system that believe was only sold in Thailand and have seen reports that only Samsung SSD will work.

Kingston a400? if so, they are <deleted>. Known for lock ups.

Example; 

It's just a <deleted> SSD.

You can install the correct display Driver yourself.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:27 AM, Digitalbanana said:

My computer updated to 1909 very quickly, less than 3 minutes. I hope future updates are as fast, before it used to take an hour or more.

That's why the 1903 had most of the new features already and 1909 just activated them. 

Archived