Thailand saying "NO!" to plastic bags: End in sight as January 1st "D-Day" looms

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

They called January 1st 2020 "D-Day" in their headline - then didn't tell the public what those three kinds of plastic actually are.

But they said that four more kinds - also not specified - would also be banned from 2022

WHAT KIND OF PLASTIC WILL BE BANNED?........Sorry we cant tell you its a secret.......

Folks if this does not get you questioning the ban nothing will....

Realize that the hysteria over plastic bags is a matter of religion. Many Westerners in Thailand have spiritually empty lives and need something to fasten on to. The plastic bag hysteria is an easy answer. They want to be missionaries, spreading the gospel of hating plastic. One hundred years ago, these same people would have been all over Southeast Asia trying to bring Jesus to Thailand.

17 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

Don’t you wander why they've used a westerner’s photo instead of a thai person to highlight their downfalls and misinformation they give to their own people ? ????

A westerner with a white rope around his wrist, he just got married to be able to get the Non-O ????

I agree a start needs to be made. I reuse my store bags as bin bags so if they are no more I will have to buy bin liners( hopefully biodegradable) as I’m sure will a lot of other people. What about food plastic bags, drinks cups etc I see Intranin (I think that’s how you spell it) coffee are using bio cups which rot down in landfill. There are so many biodegradable options now maybe that’s the way to go.

Nothing will change come Jan 1st...

prime example....Rim ping market in CM has no plastic bag on Wed given out....they provide cardboard boxes...

it has been six months maybe longer and I am the only one I have ever seen to bring my own cloth bag...

thais and expats living here are just too lazy and ignorant to modify their behavior... 

the store is to blame b/c providing boxes has no effect on behavioral change since it requires the customer to do nothing...

change means change and the gov/private businesses are too worried about taking people out of their comfort zone. We can’t tell people what to do....

Apathy abound in a traditional and status quo society....

14 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Realize that the hysteria over plastic bags is a matter of religion. Many Westerners in Thailand have spiritually empty lives and need something to fasten on to. The plastic bag hysteria is an easy answer. They want to be missionaries, spreading the gospel of hating plastic. One hundred years ago, these same people would have been all over Southeast Asia trying to bring Jesus to Thailand.

Then you got fools that think plastic bags are not a problem and have never seen the floating garbage fields of plastic in the oceans. Its all a matter of being informed. 

Also you got foreigners that believe we as Westerners have anything to say about these things in Thailand, this is thought of and implemented by Thais. Not because any westerner wanted it. 

banning plastic bags is a hypocritical bs law - there's a lot more and a lot worse trash that gets dumped along roadsides to worry about a few thin plastic bags. Which by the way, often get re-used as garbage basket liners, carry bags for other things, and food wrappers. in the ussa they use re-cycled bio-degradable plastic bags - never could tell the difference but that they disintegrate over time in landfills and garbage dumps.

another sounds good bs plan by govt cow-towing to a bunch of environmental wackos

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As step no. 2, we can then teach all citizens to not throw their garbage from pick-up trucks and motorbikes on the side of the road.

If you can teach them that, what a beautiful country it would be. 

Almost comical reading some of these comments saying that this is good for the environment and going to help nature. ???? 

Congratulations, you are officially indoctrinated !

None of this nonsense is going to help the environment or nature. What would help is if people would stop throwing their waste into the waterways and start recycling more.

Banning plastic bags is not the answer and only stands to benefit the shop owners and retailers who no longer have to provide bags for the goods their customers buy. Think they'll lower their prices to pass the savings on to you?? ???? Keep dreaming!

Promote personal responsibility instead of banning useful items.  ????

So, there are people who use the plastic shopping bags as trash containers (like me).  The stores want to stop giving the bags away for the sake of the environment.  With no place to stash the trash now, the people go back to the same market and buy plastic trash bags.

ummm...

11 minutes ago, bendejo said:

So, there are people who use the plastic shopping bags as trash containers (like me).

Don't tell anyone, but I fill mine with cat sh *$&*$& it and coffee grounds.  Sometimes I mix into it, food scraps and the skins I peel off vegetables.  I have even been known to use them for trash.

I can't get enough of them!  I've got a cat that gets fed all day long, so the little  unmarried thing that we normally call a <deleted> but I'll say non-married fathered child, (replaced the word "<deleted>") craps all day and night as well.

Looks a lot like'guns dont kill,people do'

Plastic bags dont pollute people do!

Guess what ,take away the bags and less pollution.

What other members also said,teach people to not throw other garbage

away may help also.

I just drove to the parking lot of a local theme park there was a bus load full

of small school children.The windows were open and all kinds of garbage was thrown out.

Where are the teachers telling them not too?Or why did the parents not teach them?

Oh yeah i forgot,mai pen rai.

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

Looks a lot like'guns dont kill,people do'

Plastic bags dont pollute people do!

Guess what ,take away the bags and less pollution.

What other members also said,teach people to not throw other garbage

away may help also.

I just drove to the parking lot of a local theme park there was a bus load full

of small school children.The windows were open and all kinds of garbage was thrown out.

Where are the teachers telling them not too?Or why did the parents not teach them?

Oh yeah i forgot,mai pen rai.

Equating plastic bags to guns.  I've got to give you credit Mister, that was ballsy.

Just now, ZAKY said:

How will these thousand and thousand working people going to manage carrying their lunch at work? Tom yam in paper bags?

Better, go to Tops on Tuesdays.  Watch the pandamonium at checkout.  Oh, bring some music on your phone as you'll be standing in line for at least 3 x what it would normally be as the checkers try to figure out how to get people out the door with food in boxes. 

The Thais take it, what a surprise.  I complain loudly to the point where they bring plastic bags to my checker just to make me shut up.

Then the Thais thank me.

Yada yada 

Archived