Thailand saying "NO!" to plastic bags: End in sight as January 1st "D-Day" looms

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

The worst offenders are the small street vendors, 2-3 plastics bags for sauces, 2-3 bags for salad and meat, then one more to carry all together. I cant see that stopping too soon, how are Thais going to carry their dinner home, Tupperware!!!!!!

yes I guess most Thai people will starve to death because every food they buy at the

market or street stall comes in a plastic bag

Not going  to happen. 

Just like no palm oil products from Feb 2019 in supermarkets or like the  smoking ban in  commercial areas or wearimg a helmet or maybe no more police road blocks it's all  just words here in Thailand ???????? it's not reality in the scheme of things. 

And the general world thinking is plastic bags are the problem its everything  is packed in plastic and those items are 1 time use thats  the real issue 

20 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

So starting then ... we will all become proverbial "bag ladies".

Good for the environment will just have to remember to tote some carry all bags all the time.

Or wear cargo shorts...............

16 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Technically the supermarket bags are not for single use as most of us use them for trash bags too.  I think the stores really need to effectively display and promote bags we can safely use for trash in the future. Throwing loose garbage and trash in our building bins is not a good option. 

True - now you have to 'buy' plastic bags to put trash in. The replacement non single use plastic bags are a disaster - much thicker and instead of 100 years they take 10,000 years to degrade. Why hasn't someone been sensible and invented  single use, planet friendly (other than paper) bags that degrade and integrate into the soil or water?? money driven that's why.

It's all bull feces. Just a nice revenue earner for the supermarkets.

9 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

The worst offenders are the small street vendors, 2-3 plastics bags for sauces, 2-3 bags for salad and meat, then one more to carry all together. I cant see that stopping too soon, how are Thais going to carry their dinner home, Tupperware!!!!!!

Some places in the west put Chinese food in cardboard waterproof containers. Maybe the Thais can emulate them.

21 hours ago, marcusb said:

This is what gets me.  I am always on my motorbike, so I always have my backpack on. I haven't used store bags for a couple years. When I empty my backpack out at home I am dismayed by all the plastic on the table. 

Plastic bags are a start but we need to get the manufacturers cutting out the packaging or using plastic alternatives. 

This is the type of packaging that bothers me and there are thousands of other items packaged in a similar fashion.  image.png.2cdd5bc320910c3f20a124471620c097.png

End in sight as January 1st "D-Day" looms

This report is very inaccurate. But that's not unusual for TV news.

The cabinet has given the green light for a "no plastic" campaign which will start on Jan 1 next year ahead of a ban on single-use plastic bags in 2021.

Thailand will ban three types of plastic (microbeads, cap seals and oxo-degradable plastics) by the end of this year

On my first visit to the Philippines in 1987, I saw and heard public service announcements about the negative effects of littering. Even my own Filipino family would walk to a nearby bridge that spanned a small creek and toss their trash over the railing. During periods of high tide, the trash would get pulled downstream and into Manila Bay.

Now some 32 years later, Filipinos are still throwing their trash into streams, lakes and the ocean.

I have come to the conclusion that the teaching model has not been effective in changing bad habits.

For most of us, plastic pollution is personal. We all have stories about our favorite beach, park, or even city streets being littered with forgotten pieces of other people’s lives. While single-use plastic products might only serve us for twelve minutes, they will outlive our great-grandchildren, and they’re doing great harm to the environment in the process.

One garbage truckload of plastic enters our ocean every minute, impacting marine life and altering ecosystems. Animals often mistake the plastic for food, and starve to death with their bellies full of waste lacking in nutrition. Recent studies have shown that corals are eating plastic, and even coming into contact with plastic waste can cause them to develop diseases.

Then there’s the problem of microplastics. As plastic in the ocean is exposed to UV radiation from the sun, wind, and wave action, it breaks up into smaller and smaller pieces called microplastics. These fragments travel through the water column, acting as magnets for toxic chemicals that have been dumped into the ocean. Microplastics are small enough to be consumed by plankton and in turn accumulate up the food chain into the seafood that ends up on our plates.

A quarter of the fish found in markets, as well as all salt and beer tested, have plastic contamination. Nearly 83% of drinking water worldwide has been found to contain plastic fibers. Plastic is even in the air we breathe because people violate the open-burning laws and burn their trash which contains plastics.

We know how plastic impacts human health. Certain chemicals in plastic have been identified as an endocrine-disrupt, essentially interfering with the body’s ability to communicate with itself, causing developmental defects in infants and children as well as cancer in adults.

Ultimately, this is not just an environmental issue, but also a public health issue.

The only solution is to permanently ban the use of all plastic food and bottle containers.

I grew up in a time when all food condiments and beverages were all packaged in glass containers. And the best things about glass is that it can be crushed, recycled and added to concrete.

Plastic is killing our food supply!

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

I always reuse the plastic shopping bags as waste bags. So now i will have to buy plastic waste bags and throw those away instead !!

Just what I said. Also, my biggest gripe is that thick plastic wrap around some kitchen gadgets or electrical items etc . You know the wrap I mean. The one that's almost impenetrable except for a jackhammer or dynamite.

16 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Most people have a kitchen. It's normally used to cook food in.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:37 PM, Denim said:

No more rubber condoms either. The ecologically friendly prophylactic is now a hollowed out aubergine or cucumber.

Soon to be on sale in green supermarkets.

Not true, condoms are not single use, I use mine plenty if times, I just wash the fxxx out of it. Everyone does, don't they........?????

Today at the Makro I bought these cookies (see photo), they are packed in plastic one by one, how do you think of removing the plastic in cases like this ????
For information, I thought it was just a plastic bag, then the surprise at home.
In the future I will look carefully at what I buy before buying it.

IMG_1824.JPG

My pet hate is the gratuitous triple bagging of six packs of water, already in plastic bottles, encased in a thick plastic sheath which itself is strong enough to hook your fingers under and carry. It's not uncommon to see a shopping trolley of 4 or 5 cases of water getting double bagged, with a third plastic bag tied as a handle, each taking 30 seconds to package and backing up the queues. I bet they're not even being transported any further than the car park. Since consumers clearly won't take the initiative, supermarkets and convenience stores need to knock this kind of BS on the head.

Archived