Thailand saying "NO!" to plastic bags: End in sight as January 1st "D-Day" looms

The worst offenders are the small street vendors, 2-3 plastics bags for sauces, 2-3 bags for salad and meat, then one more to carry all together. I cant see that stopping too soon, how are Thais going to carry their dinner home, Tupperware!!!!!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...and I'll bet that 90% of the items inside those bags are prepacked with plastic.

No more rubber condoms either. The ecologically friendly prophylactic is now a hollowed out aubergine or cucumber.   Soon to be on sale in green supermarkets.

The public here are used to being kept in the dark, so no great surprise there. I would hazard a guess that a very significant amount of plastic bags are used more by the market or talat sellers,

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

The worst offenders are the small street vendors, 2-3 plastics bags for sauces, 2-3 bags for salad and meat, then one more to carry all together. I cant see that stopping too soon, how are Thais going to carry their dinner home, Tupperware!!!!!!

yes I guess most Thai people will starve to death because every food they buy at the

market or street stall comes in a plastic bag

2 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

yes I guess most Thai people will starve to death because every food they buy at the

market or street stall comes in a plastic bag

What did they do before plastic bags were available??? 

• Like 1

Not going  to happen. 

Just like no palm oil products from Feb 2019 in supermarkets or like the  smoking ban in  commercial areas or wearimg a helmet or maybe no more police road blocks it's all  just words here in Thailand 🇹🇭 it's not reality in the scheme of things. 

And the general world thinking is plastic bags are the problem its everything  is packed in plastic and those items are 1 time use thats  the real issue 

20 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

So starting then ... we will all become proverbial "bag ladies".

Good for the environment will just have to remember to tote some carry all bags all the time.

Or wear cargo shorts...............

16 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Technically the supermarket bags are not for single use as most of us use them for trash bags too.  I think the stores really need to effectively display and promote bags we can safely use for trash in the future. Throwing loose garbage and trash in our building bins is not a good option. 

True - now you have to 'buy' plastic bags to put trash in. The replacement non single use plastic bags are a disaster - much thicker and instead of 100 years they take 10,000 years to degrade. Why hasn't someone been sensible and invented  single use, planet friendly (other than paper) bags that degrade and integrate into the soil or water?? money driven that's why.

It's all bull feces. Just a nice revenue earner for the supermarkets.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Some places in the west put Chinese food in cardboard waterproof containers. Maybe the Thais can emulate them.

21 hours ago, marcusb said:

This is what gets me.  I am always on my motorbike, so I always have my backpack on. I haven't used store bags for a couple years. When I empty my backpack out at home I am dismayed by all the plastic on the table. 

Plastic bags are a start but we need to get the manufacturers cutting out the packaging or using plastic alternatives. 

This is the type of packaging that bothers me and there are thousands of other items packaged in a similar fashion.  image.png.2cdd5bc320910c3f20a124471620c097.png

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

Some places in the west put Chinese food in cardboard waterproof containers. Maybe the Thais can emulate them.

Why do you think the cardboard is waterproof? Its because of plastic...lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

This is the type of packaging that bothers me and there are thousands of other items packaged in a similar fashion.  image.png.2cdd5bc320910c3f20a124471620c097.png

This is anti-theft packaging.