Jump to content
BANGKOK
Ama Rylls

Purchasing an Old Honda Click Model from My Landlord

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

My landlord has a scooter for sale, I would greatly appreciate some advice as I've never bought a vehicle in Thailand before. 

 

I am currently working in Phuket, have a work permit and a Thai motorcycle driving license.

 

Firstly, what legal paperwork will I need from the landlord to ensure I have proper/legal ownership of the scooter?

  • I wish to know if there is anyway I could be duped into thinking I own the bike when actually the ownership wasn't transferred to me through some loophole.

 

Secondly, the scooter is quite an old Honda Click model with a broken speedometer, somewhat ok brakes, slow top-speed, and poor acceleration. Is THB 6000 a good price for such a scooter? 

 

I'm looking to save some money on buying a THB 20,000 second hand Honda Click from a bike shop, new ones are around THB 50,000 - 60,000. 

 

I'd be very grateful if someone could offer some advice. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure the book has your name on it.

 

The bike has probably never been serviced, get it done and you may see a difference in performance. Besides you will also know it's all ok etc.as they should tell you any issues.

 

6000 is cheap, but if it's just a little run around etc could be a bargain.

 

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call it cheap because CharlieH, as you mentioned, it probably hasn't been serviced properly or cared for in any way judging by the broken state of it. There'll be repair costs looming and they might exceed the 6000 baht purchase price.

 

Unless you know what you are doing, don't buy a clearly broken motorcycle. Pay a little bit more in the range of 10k-20k and get something better. Don't buy from a shop, find a private seller.

 

 

As to the OPs question: go with the seller to the DLT and hand over cash once the transfer has been registered in the green book. That's when it is officially yours.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your input guys - helpful!

 

I should've mentioned that I've actually been using this bike since August, the landlord just had it collecting dust, and apart from puncturing the back tire, I haven't really had too many issues with it. It runs out of fuel quite quickly though!

 

As I said, it's just slow, speedometer's broken, the sponge from the seat near the backside is visible, and a few weeks after having the brakes oiled for free, they went back to not being great again.  

 

So the servicing costs I'll be looking at would be: 

1. Fixing the speedometer

 

2. Getting the brakes repaired properly (no idea how much that costs) 

 

3. A possible seat replacement in the future, but that's not really essential 

 

4. Something to make it go faster 

 

CharileH - I was thinking the same thing, servicing is a good call but I'm not really sure if they could increase the top speed. Guess I'll find out. 

 

Eisfield - Ok so I'm assuming my landlord will have to come with me to the Dept. of Land Transport in Phuket to make this happen? 

Edited by Ama Rylls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ama Rylls said:

Eisfield - Ok so I'm assuming my landlord will have to come with me to the Dept. of Land Transport in Phuket to make this happen? 

Yes, alternatively they can send someone else (even you) with a Power Of Attorney signed by them with ID card copy. But either way, don't pay until your name is in the green book.

 

 

Top speed of a Click should be around 100kph give or take depending on the model. Testing with without a working speedo could be done with your phone or someone else riding along. One service after many missed ones wont undo all the mistreatment in the past. Yea changing airfilter for example might let it breath better and give better performance. But I would worry about hidden damages. How many km does the bike have? Does it rattle? Any oil leaks? Check all crevices etc. Take a look at the service book to see if and when it has been serviced.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ama Rylls said:

Ok so I'm assuming my landlord will have to come with me to the Dept. of Land Transport in Phuket to make this happen? 

Not if the landlord gives you  a signed power of attorney and transfer form..assuming the landlord is Thai ?  a copy of their ID card and "blue house book"  might be handy too...you need to take the bike to the DLT to have it "inspected" before the green book can be updated with your new ownership details

Power_of_Attorney_TH.pdfMotorcycle-Ownership-Transfer.pdf

 

1230299799_powerofattorney.thumb.png.0a55b157c8c797bd2e842f637fd246e6.png

1449842380_Englishexample_transferenglish.png.a0198602c9367c378f5df3cf70892efa.png

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ama Rylls said:

4. Something to make it go faster 

Some go faster stripes  or flame stickers are always popular 😋

but seriously  check  the engine for oil leaks...these covered in plastic scooters make it difficult to  see when a gasket is leaking

which leads to oil starvation and engine damage... can = slowness, the other thing is a worn drive belt.. you can get a total engine strip down and rebuild from about 3000 baht , depending on what's wrong with the engine..drive belt less than 1000 baht I would imagine ( never needed one)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, pay the money after you have the green book in your hand with your name in it.

 

Regarding the price, I'd say 6000 is fair if it runs OK and has up to date tax etc. It will probably need a few repairs but they should be fairly cheap. If you're on a tight budget and want a cheap 7-11 bike and don't mind a bit of hassle dealing with local mechanics fixing a few issues then I'd buy it. However, if you don't want the hassle of fixing stuff up or plan some longer trips on it then I'd spend a bit more (15-20k ish) and get something decent.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ama Rylls said:

So the servicing costs I'll be looking at would be: 

1. Fixing the speedometer

 

2. Getting the brakes repaired properly (no idea how much that costs) 

 

3. A possible seat replacement in the future, but that's not really essential 

 

4. Something to make it go faster

1: Not nessesary.

2: 3-4 hundred.

3: 250.

4: No idea.

 

You'll also need a certificate of residence, unless you have a yellow book.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ama Rylls said:

Thank you so much for your input guys - helpful!

 

I should've mentioned that I've actually been using this bike since August, the landlord just had it collecting dust, and apart from puncturing the back tire, I haven't really had too many issues with it. It runs out of fuel quite quickly though!

 

As I said, it's just slow, speedometer's broken, the sponge from the seat near the backside is visible, and a few weeks after having the brakes oiled for free, they went back to not being great again.  

 

So the servicing costs I'll be looking at would be: 

1. Fixing the speedometer

 

2. Getting the brakes repaired properly (no idea how much that costs) 

 

3. A possible seat replacement in the future, but that's not really essential 

 

4. Something to make it go faster 

 

CharileH - I was thinking the same thing, servicing is a good call but I'm not really sure if they could increase the top speed. Guess I'll find out. 

 

Eisfield - Ok so I'm assuming my landlord will have to come with me to the Dept. of Land Transport in Phuket to make this happen? 

New brakes will be around 400-500 baht. A reupholstered seat should be no more than 300-400 baht. As far as speed goes, an oil change and a new spark plug might help. Unless the engine is really tired. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You only need to improve the brakes and then change the drive parts. AS long as the engine is still okay, the rest are easily available for an affordable price here.

 

Transferring your name to the green book can be easily done at the DLT. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will also need a vehicle safety inspection

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Get it serviced first (insignificant cost).

 

See how it goes after that and get the mechs. to tell you what they think.

 

Hopefully you get to ride a better performing bike for a start.

 

You will know if it/isn't worth any extra cost to bring up to spec.

 

Worst case write the cost off as "pre-purchase engineers report".

 

PS Keep your cool if the owner decides that because it now runs well it is worth more, or that he doesn't want to sell or let you ride it anymore.

 

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Enoon said:

 

Get it serviced first (insignificant cost).

 

See how it goes after that and get the mechs. to tell you what they think.

 

Hopefully you get to ride a better performing bike for a start.

 

You will know if it/isn't worth any extra cost to bring up to spec.

 

Worst case write the cost off as "pre-purchase engineers report".

 

PS Keep your cool if the owner decides that because it now runs well it is worth more, or that he doesn't want to sell or let you ride it anymore.

 

That would be a "standard" service.

 

ie plug, filters, etc, not items 1-4 on your list.

 

 

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6000 baht for a running bike with (legitimate) green book is about as low as you'll find..any lower and it starts to make more sense (and money) to start selling it as spare parts.

 

If it drives straight with no strange noises or wobbles and stops ok ,there is no/minimal oil leaks ,no smokey exhaust and the only thing broken is the speedometer then buy it.

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...