Pets stolen, slaughtered and turned into bar snacks in Cambodia’s dog meat trade

geovalin

Around three million dogs are being stabbed, drowned, clubbed, hanged and sold on for meat every year in Cambodia.

The trade is largely supplied by stolen pets, strays or unwanted dogs sold to passing motorcyclists for aluminium pots and pans.

Captured creatures spend their days in small and rusty iron cages waiting for their gruesome deaths. Workers at unlicensed slaughterhouses are exposed to deadly health risks like rabies and say they are being traumatised by the day-to-day killings.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/12/pets-stolen-slaughtered-turned-bar-snacks-cambodias-dog-meat-trade-11086604/

I have an electronic cat flap in my house, so she can leave and enter it whenever she wants and walk around in the area. She also have a collar where her name and the telephone number of my wife is written. If someone would collect her and I see it, he will have a massive problem.

My deeply belived dog, a Chihuahua who died last week at the advanced  age of at least 22 years(could have been 23-25) was rescued en route to the  meat market in Phnom Penh. His rescuer paid off the man intending to sell him for slaughter.

From how he interacted with humans as well as his breed, he was stolen from an owner who loved him. Probably a Western woman based on his response to me. 

They aren't just taking soi dogs...in fact thete are virtually none of those in Phnom Penh. They are stealing people's pets. 

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

My deeply belived dog, a Chihuahua who died last week at the advanced  age of at least 22 years(could have been 23-25) was rescued en route to the  meat market in Phnom Penh. His rescuer paid off the man intending to sell him for slaughter.

From how he interacted with humans as well as his breed, he was stolen from an owner who loved him. Probably a Western woman based on his response to me. 

They aren't just taking soi dogs...in fact thete are virtually none of those in Phnom Penh. They are stealing people's pets. 

Gruesome to say the least that they steal pets too. Not that I find it a good thing that they kill street dogs. But that is just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Sorry you lost your friend Sheryl although at 22 years old wow that’s good going I’m sure that you gave that little one a grand innings! 

we have small dogs too and they become part of the family don’t they just, especially after so many years you see each dog has their own individual personality.

its a very sad to read article for anyone who has ever had a dog as a friend I’m sure. All dogs are certainly more compassionate and offer better companionship than some of the other posters on this thread.

10 minutes ago, NightSky said:

All dogs are certainly more compassionate and offer better companionship than some of the other posters on this thread.

The same could be said with cow, horse, pigs, etc. I never ate a dog but have no issue with those who do. I ate horse for example and my inlaw get a good price for his rat meat. Most Indian probably find the idea of eating beef disgusting. The way most factory farm meat is raised is not compassionate in my opinion. 

If it can reassure you I owned around 15 dogs in my life because of dogsled but never ate any of them. 

Our dog (Lala) was killed by a farmer neighbour who said it killed one of his chickens. I went to see him to sort things out. When I approached his hut the farmer's family were roasting Lala and slicing bits off.

I was offered a slice, and ate it with a bit of som tam, and downed the grub with a glass or two of Lao khow.

Overrated in my view. I could get used to it, but on reflection I prefer pork or duck or even snake.

Workers at unlicensed slaughterhouses are exposed to deadly health risks like rabies and say they are being traumatised by the day-to-day killings. 

Cambodia must pay more attention to these workers...meanwhile gathering animals from sewers, garbage dumps and vacant lots to be sold as safe and edible meat...does not seem to bother it's leaders...????

On 11/13/2019 at 1:55 PM, secondfusilier said:

Still, it keeps them off the street.

The butcher's or the dogs?

Interesting videos turn up on YouTube and elsewhere from time to time of the efforts they take to steal pet dogs presumably for the meat trade.  Even unwanted soi dogs deserve a humane death. For this reason, even as a hunter, I do not approve of kosher or halal killing.

7 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

The butcher's or the dogs?

Interesting videos turn up on YouTube and elsewhere from time to time of the efforts they take to steal pet dogs presumably for the meat trade.  Even unwanted soi dogs deserve a humane death. For this reason, even as a hunter, I do not approve of kosher or halal killing.

In the west we have the same issue but the pets are destined to laboratory. Not sure which one is worse. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/07/from-the-leash-to-the-laboratory/378269/

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:55 PM, secondfusilier said:

Still, it keeps them off the street.

Maybe the same could be said if you were boiled alive and turned into bar treats.

Maybe nobody would buy your bits.

Archived