BANGKOK
geovalin

Pets stolen, slaughtered and turned into bar snacks in Cambodia’s dog meat trade

Around three million dogs are being stabbed, drowned, clubbed, hanged and sold on for meat every year in Cambodia.

The trade is largely supplied by stolen pets, strays or unwanted dogs sold to passing motorcyclists for aluminium pots and pans.

Captured creatures spend their days in small and rusty iron cages waiting for their gruesome deaths. Workers at unlicensed slaughterhouses are exposed to deadly health risks like rabies and say they are being traumatised by the day-to-day killings.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/12/pets-stolen-slaughtered-turned-bar-snacks-cambodias-dog-meat-trade-11086604/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

We have a big truck coming around our roads sometimes to collect.Just luck I havent hit any dogs in years.Many of them are  big hazards running after everything that moves.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Still, it keeps them off the street.

Most Cambodians leave their dogs out on the street day and night. Easy pickings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

My deeply belived dog, a Chihuahua who died last week at the advanced  age of at least 22 years(could have been 23-25) was rescued en route to the  meat market in Phnom Penh. His rescuer paid off the man intending to sell him for slaughter.

From how he interacted with humans as well as his breed, he was stolen from an owner who loved him. Probably a Western woman based on his response to me. 

They aren't just taking soi dogs...in fact thete are virtually none of those in Phnom Penh. They are stealing people's pets. 

Gruesome to say the least that they steal pets too. Not that I find it a good thing that they kill street dogs. But that is just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

You are meat

Yes, I am meat that eat meat. Most of my meat is plant based tho. 

3 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Yes, I am meat that eat meat. Most of my meat is plant based tho. 

But "Not much different than most intensive farmed meat. Meat is meat. "

• Like 1

Just now, sirineou said:

But "Not much different than most intensive farmed meat. Meat is meat. "

Actually I talked too fast. This dog meat is probably more healthy than what is sold at supermarkets.