Jump to content
BANGKOK
luther

Confused About Type of Visa

Recommended Posts

I came to Thailand over 20 years ago. I have my previous passport that I used when I stopped working and retired here. The transfer stamp in my previous passport states that I originally came in on a B visa (I was working) but nowhere does it state what kind of visa it was converted to when I retired and started applying for retirement extensions. A-O or O? The conversion and extension was done in Chiang Mai. Someone told me, you must be here on an O. An O-A cannot be issued inside Thailand. Is this correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You didnt convert your visa.. you convert your reason of extension of permission of stay. 

 

Your initial visa class was, if what you have said is factual, still a non imm B. It is unusual to have an extension of permission of stay for the basis of retirement, granted to a non imm B class visa. 

 

It is possible to change a 30 day exempt or a tourist visa, to a non imm class incountry (sometimes) and if they do that fr the basis of retirement you get given a single non imm O and it is stamped used immediately, and a 12 month extension of permission of stay granted. 

 

They never 'convert' to an OA which is the crux of your question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your extension of stay has been changed from Non-B to Non-O. As far as I know, there is no extension with the name OA. Even people that entered on a Non-OA visa and make an extension, will get a Non-O stamp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm.... I came in 7 years ago on a non imm B visa and have been getting extensions on that visa since, for retirement. I just had my stamps transferred to a new passport yesterday and they transferred the original B visa, extension stamp and re-entry permit - so I obviously think it's possible to be granted an extension on a B for reasons of retirement.

On another note, once I had all the required photocopies and filled out the form to transfer the stamps, I was seen right away and the whole process took about 15 minutes at cnx immigration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I started this thread is that I got the following message yesterday from Assist Thai Visa.

 

"The Health insurance will be mandatory, as you may already know, for all holders of Non Immigrant O-A visa's when doing their yearly extension.

 

Non immigrant O-A visa: Is a Visa obtained from a Thai embassy/consulate usually from your home country before entering Thailand. The visa is valid for a year. You are usually requested to present medical certificate, criminal record, and financial statement to apply for this visa.

Non immigrant O visa: This visa can also be obtained from a Thai embassy but it is only valid for 3 months. Requirement is usually limited to financial statement. This Visa can also be obtained from within Thailand at the local Thai immigration."

 

I realize this is slightly redundant of another thread, but I guess the answer to my question is that I am still here on non-immigrant B visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, luther said:

The reason I started this thread is that I got the following message yesterday from Assist Thai Visa.

 

"The Health insurance will be mandatory, as you may already know, for all holders of Non Immigrant O-A visa's when doing their yearly extension.

 

Non immigrant O-A visa: Is a Visa obtained from a Thai embassy/consulate usually from your home country before entering Thailand. The visa is valid for a year. You are usually requested to present medical certificate, criminal record, and financial statement to apply for this visa.

Non immigrant O visa: This visa can also be obtained from a Thai embassy but it is only valid for 3 months. Requirement is usually limited to financial statement. This Visa can also be obtained from within Thailand at the local Thai immigration."

 

I realize this is slightly redundant of another thread, but I guess the answer to my question is that I am still here on non-immigrant B visa.

As said.. this isnt applicable to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Your extension of stay has been changed from Non-B to Non-O. As far as I know, there is no extension with the name OA. Even people that entered on a Non-OA visa and make an extension, will get a Non-O stamp.

In technical detail it remains on his non B but he gains a 12 month extension on the basis of retirement. It doesnt actually change his underlying initial visa. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, luther said:

Non immigrant O visa: This visa can also be obtained from a Thai embassy but it is only valid for 3 months. Requirement is usually limited to financial statement. This Visa can also be obtained from within Thailand at the local Thai immigration."

I am on a NON O issued in Vancouver

It is valid for one year

I must leave the country every 3 months

Perhaps that is what they meant when saying it is valid for 3 months

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, luther said:

 

I realize this is slightly redundant of another thread, but I guess the answer to my question is that I am still here on non-immigrant B visa.

This is getting a bit complicated. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a non-imm B is actually a 'Business' or 'work permit' visa?

 

Your initial visa is a non-imm B but your extension is a retirement so how can it be based on a non-imm B?

 

I would have thought that immigration would have given you a new visa based on retirement once you changed over.

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I am on a NON O issued in Vancouver

It is valid for one year

I must leave the country every 3 months

Perhaps that is what they meant when saying it is valid for 3 months

no they mean the visa is issued on 1st jan and the visa expires on the 31st march, valid for 3 months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EricTh said:

This is getting a bit complicated. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a non-imm B is actually a 'Business' or 'work permit' visa?

 

Your initial visa is a non-imm B but your extension is a retirement so how can it be based on a non-imm B?

 

I would have thought that immigration would have given you a new visa based on retirement once you changed over.

I came in on a business/work permit visa (B) so I was thinking exactly what you are saying, but there is no mention of any other type of visa in either passport, at least that I can tell.   Maybe there is a cryptic O or O-A that I am missing, but I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, luther said:

I came in on a business/work permit visa (B) so I was thinking exactly what you are saying, but there is no mention of any other type of visa in either passport, at least that I can tell.   Maybe there is a cryptic O or O-A that I am missing, but I don't think so.

I came here on a Non-Imm B 14 years ago and after a few months used it to apply for a retirement extension, now still on an annual extension based on the original Non-Imm B, it has never been changed or converted to an O or O-A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand it, The Non-Immigrant O-A is issued only from Thai embassies in foreign countries.  I think of the "A" as meaning "abroad."  Maybe that is, in fact, what it means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...