What's an Adequate reward for finding lost property

Nyezhov

Some nice dude who lives near wat Saket found my pilfered wallet floating in the canal sans cash and bankcards.

But he's got the wallet itself and my DL. I'm going to meet him Monday or Tuesday.

What would a correct reward be? I was thinking of 1000.

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

He saved you from a visit at the Transport department, only that is worth 1000B,

Us Driver's License from 3000 miles away from where I will be staying lol

Good karma for them to go through the effort to locate and contact you.  If they did through kindness and did not request a reward then giving a reward is good karma for you as well.  If they are traditional/regular/friendly Thai people 1,000 Baht should be greatly appreciated.  If they are more hiso types then any money probably will be viewed differently and a show of respect and thanking may be more important.  

Regardless it is good to see someone make the effort the located you to return important documents.

19 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Us Driver's License from 3000 miles away

? are you saying the licence in your wallet is from the U.S.?  That is 8,000 miles away 

What good is a U.S. drivers licence in Thailand anyway?

(I dont drive but thought you needed some type of international licence)

1,000 baht sounds like a fine reward to me also

1000 baht is quite a generous reward, although from what you have said previously you can afford it. I'd be thinking more along the lines of 500 baht.

On the other hand, if it was my passport I'd probably be shelling out 2000.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:47 PM, GalaxyMan said:

Doesn't really have much to do with the value of the returned item(s), it's the thought that went into it on the part of the finder. As much as you can afford. Good karma. 1000 baht would be very cool, I'd imagine.

I had an experience getting fuel for my scooter one day and dropped a 1,000 baht note on the ground when I paid. I drove across the street to my next stop and the attendant chased after me to return it. I gave him 100 baht and he seemed surprised and delighted all at once. Still makes me feel good.

Archived