OPtions once you run out of border exemption visas

Hello,

been having to make border runs to kanchanaburi for the past couple months due to work and i have officially used up all the exemptions i have.

i have lived here for more than a decade and have a daughter, which does allow me to double any extension but when i leave in the coming week, if my work has not finished my nono or nonb visa, i need to weight the options so i can return home to my family.

if you have been leaving and returning via exemptions, can you go to the thai embassy and request a tourist visa? i was told this was viable at don muang airport when i flew in last but given the recent legal situation that is all up in the air if it would be allowed.

assuming that all the exemption visas for a year have been used, but you have an extensive documented history in the country, can prove you are employed, and are just waiting for the paperwork to finish, what options are there to return home quickly rather than having to wait (knowing that when the non visa paperwork is finished it will require another fly out to process.

would applying for a tourist visa work? and if not what alternative might i have between now and jan 1 2020 when the counter resets?

thank you.

• Haha 1

It is my opinion that it is not wise to just use the easy visa exempt land crossings, and then think about your next move. Those visa exempt land crossings should be husbanded for emergencies when other ways of returning fail.

In your position now, I would not try to get a tourist visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet (that have become unfriendly to applicants with significant recent time in Thailand). Further, Phnom Penh and Penang may well be problematic, even when using agents. A final consideration is that (with the visa) returning by land is safer than flying in to many airports (including Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang, Penang and Krabi).

I do not guarantee success with my two suggestions, but this is what I would do in your position:

• Get a Myanmar eVisa. Fly to Yangon. Get a single entry tourist visa. Take an overnight VIP bus to Myawaddy. Cross into Thailand at Maesot.
    OR
  • Make an appointment for the embassy in Kuala Lumpur. Fly to Kuala Lumpur. Get a single entry tourist visa. Take the bus from Kuala Lumpur to Hat Yai (which uses the crossing at Sadao).

Also possible is applying for a visa in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi and then

• fly to Vientiane, crossing to Nong Khai at the Friendship Bridge; or
  • overland to a land crossing from Laos or Cambodia into Thailand (but avoiding the Aran/Poipet crossing).

Good luck.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

So you have been working illegally in Thailand?

How about you apply for a non b visa?

Why don't you get a non-o visa and extensions for having a Thai child?

Maybe because they want to see 200,000 baht in a bank account just for a 3 month non o.

16 hours ago, localexp said:

assuming that all the exemption visas for a year have been used, but you have an extensive documented history in the country, can prove you are employed, and are just waiting for the paperwork to finish, what options are there to return home quickly rather than having to wait (knowing that when the non visa paperwork is finished it will require another fly out to process

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but if you show them an extensive documented history, prove you are employed on a 30 day visa exemption, there is a very good chance that the home you will be visiting will be the one in your home country for the next 5 years at least.

• Like 1

Surely if you have a Thai daughter, It would be much easier to take all related documents confirming that she is your legal daughter, and go to a Thai embassy and apply for an O visa multi entry. 5000 baht and valid for one year. Since working overseas This is what I do, 24 hr turnaround and no problems going in and out of Thailand.

12 hours ago, phetpeter said:

Surely if you have a Thai daughter, It would be much easier to take all related documents confirming that she is your legal daughter, and go to a Thai embassy and apply for an O visa multi entry. 5000 baht and valid for one year. Since working overseas This is what I do, 24 hr turnaround and no problems going in and out of Thailand.

Where do you go for yours? I almost went to Penang last time,but ended up using an agent instead.

10 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

Where do you go for yours? I almost went to Penang last time,but ended up using an agent instead.

visa agents in penang are non existent... you have to do all by yourself inside

it is nothing more than an expensive TAXI service to/from your hotel to the embassy