Restrictions on ED visas, and Ed visas for non-Thai languages??

Hello, I'm 27 years old with a USA passport. I recently enrolled in a French language course in Bangkok, got all the documents for the Ed visa application, and went to savannakhet to apply. I arrived there and the lady refused to let me apply, saying her boss there would definitely not approve a visa for a French course because it "doesn't make sense to study French in Thai". I don't really understand how she can say that when the school and the course are certified by the Moe, but whatever... I ended up going to the consulate at Kota Bharu, only to be declined there too. I believe that's because I made the mistake of letting them see my first passport which has a couple tourist visas, an ED visa for a Thai language school, non-B visas for two different jobs, and 2 entry stamps, all with extensions. I think if she had only seen my current passport, I might have been able to apply as it only has 2 entry stamps and a proper tourist visas, all with extensions. Anyway, all this leads me to a few questions because when flying back to bkk, the immigration officer sent me with another officer to a separate queue with no travelers at it, and he basically told me to get an actual visa next time. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get another visa-exempt stamp, so here's what I'm wondering:

1. I have an ED visa in my old passport for a Thai language course I took for 8 months. Is it possible for me to get another ED visa in my new passport? Is there a 'system' that tracks the past ED visas, or can the embassy and immigration only see what's actually in my current passport? 

2. What's the deal with getting an ED visa for a non-Thai language course? Is it always much harder than an ED for a Thai course? And if I already used up my maximum amount of ED visas for Thai, could I still get one for another language? In other words, do the limits 'stack' across multiple languages? 

Sorry for the long post, just looking for clarification on this after a very frustrating trip to multiple embassies over the past week. 

• Like 1

Try HCMC embassy, you have to explain why you take a French course to them and show bank statement with transactions.

You can say that you found a school where they have native French speakers and it is a lot cheaper than in US. But they also ask for a reason what you need French for ????

Not sure if they allow ED visas based on non Thai languages anymore. I remember in my early days in Thailand I went to an English class, mostly Russian students in the class, all on ED visas.   Only there to extend their stay in Thailand. 
But it would be impossible now. 

12 hours ago, bombswisely said:

got all the documents for the Ed visa application

The school will advise you where to best apply.

There are situations when they get it wrong (sudden change), but there is nothing one can do about that.

What I can assure you, is that schools will not base their decisions on where to send people based on stories published on forums that may or may not have credibility, since they are aware of the risk of trolling, but actual reports from their own students.

Welcome to the forum, and have a nice day.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, farangchuma said:

You have to credit to people with far higher intelligence but unfortunately born in a poor country to understand the true intent of a farang's actions. All ed visas from a language schools are scams. Who goes to Thailand to learn French? There are hundreds of schools in the USA to learn French, including community colleges. 

Who'd be stupid enough to travel all the way to the US to go learn French?

8 hours ago, farangchuma said:

You have to credit to people with far higher intelligence but unfortunately born in a poor country to understand the true intent of a farang's actions. All ed visas from a language schools are scams. Who goes to Thailand to learn French? There are hundreds of schools in the USA to learn French, including community colleges. 

I think that's an overly simplistic view. If someone genuinely wants to study and if the quality of a school in Thailand is on par with those found elsewhere - I do realize those are BIG "ifs" - then there's nothing wrong with choosing Thailand over other countries for what you could call lifestyle reasons.

I think the real problem is that the MoE is doing a lousy job accrediting schools and their programs. Nowadays, nobody (including Thai consular officers) seems to take them seriously anymore.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bombswisely said:

because it "doesn't make sense to study French in Thai".

Because it actually doesn't.... if your plan is to travel on France or any other French speaking country wouldn't if make more sense to study there? Or in your home country? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's obvious that they don't want people to come here so they're throwing up as many roadblocks to deny entry as possible.

It doesn't make much sense does it? But that's whats happening - they're doing the opposite of the job they should be doing.

No, it's not that they don't want people to come here. It's just that that want people to use the correct type of visa 

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Who'd be stupid enough to travel all the way to the US to go learn French?

It would be stupid if the person lives in Thailand. However the OP doesn't, at least not in the correct way

I'm quite in a similar situation now,applied for ED in Kuala Lumpur and got rejected because I don't have a criminal record.I have new passport with only one tourist visa and was thinking of going to Kota Baru. What requirements do they have for ED visa there?

14 hours ago, farangchuma said:

You finally spoke the truth.

There are tons of better French teachers in USA and Europe. Why come to Thailand where most people can't even teach English well let alone French.

Then there are people who come to learn English in Thailand when there are tons of better English schools in their home country or nearby.

There is a school that I went to studying Thai , I notice a few students on education visa never attend classes , coming in only once a month.

It's obvious that their real intention is to just stay long term in Thailand.

If you come to Thailand to learn Thai or go to France to learn French, it is understandable for courses beyond the elementary level.

Edited by EricTh

6 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

I agree......why would you come to Thailand to study French?

ED Visa is under scrutiny now because Immigration is well aware that 9 out 10 ED Visas are being used as a scam to stay in the country.

In my previous school, there were quite a few people on education visa who just come once a month or once a week to learn Thai.

What I found out were they had Thai boyfriends or Thai girlfriends, and that's their main purpose for staying in Thailand.

Studying Thai in Thailand is a valid reason because Thailand is the best country to learn Thai whereas studying French should be done in France or Quebec, Canada for the best teachers.

Edited by EricTh

Just now got a chance to check back in on the thread, good to see some discussion going on here. I'll keep in mind that hcmc might be one of the better places to apply for an ED visa. 

But can anyone confirm an answer to my first question in the OP? If I already had an ED visa for a Thai course in my old passport, can I get another one in my new passport? If so, does that require enrolling in an 'advanced' Thai course? Do the embassy workers and airport immigration actually have a record of my past ED visa, even without seeing my old passport? I've yet to see a clear answer on just how much they actually track in their 'system'. 

Thanks for all the discussion and answers 

35 minutes ago, bombswisely said:

But can anyone confirm an answer to my first question in the OP? If I already had an ED visa for a Thai course in my old passport, can I get another one in my new passport? If so, does that require enrolling in an 'advanced' Thai course? Do the embassy workers and airport immigration actually have a record of my past ED visa, even without seeing my old passport? I've yet to see a clear answer on just how much they actually track in their 'system'. 

Don't show your passport with old ED visa, they can't check history now (in embassies). But someone here said that all embassies will be connected to system in January of 2020. Be careful on way back, IO at airports can see all your visits (and visa types, but it not confirmed), use land border to back to Thailand (fly to Laos from Vietnam and cross Friendship Bridge and fly from Udon Thani to your location).

Btw, change your passport on the way to Vietnam (register ticket to passport where you don't have ED visa and give it to Vietnamese Immigration on way in). 

Edited by clearance