Thai Airways cancels hiring of 200 flight attendants

snoop1130

15 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

How generous of them, but why are they charging applicants to apply for a job in the first place?

Exactly. Few years ago my daughter applied for the same post but never respond and no refund at all.  God knows where all these money ended!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai Airways has called off the hiring of 200 flight attendants and will refund the application fee to applicants within one or two days, said President Sumeth Damrongchaitham, adding that the state carrier will issue an statement on the cancellation.

This is another senseless example of involving the Thai taxpayers in the trivia of a state-owned enterprise operation that has nothing to do with national security nor (obviously demonstrated by years of losses) national economic growth. No government official supported by taxpayer funds (ie., "salary") should be involved in the operations of a commercial enterprise. 

Do you want to reduce costs?
1. Eliminate some useless managers!
2. Decrease the salary of all remaining managers!
3. Eliminate the annual bonuses!
4. Coordinate your flights better!
5. Make a flight with your company a great experience!
And to top it off, put off the expense of new planes for a more propitious moment!
Decreasing the flight staff is certainly not a good idea!

2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Standard procedure here if you want a job. My Thai son wanted a job during his break from University. They wanted him to work his first 2 weeks without wages.

Normal practice outside the university know nothing and the two weeks are to learn work

15 hours ago, tso310 said:

As I have posted on other Thai threads, the airline compared to other airlines like Singapore and EVA is about 40% over manned. This is just a drop in the ocean.

This would keep it in line with nearly all other businesses/concerns in the kingdom then. The amount of times I have walked around a 7/11, coffee shop or multitude of different small(ish) restaurants and counted between 5 and 20 staff - and they're just the visible ones. For a small 7/11 or the like, surely 8 or 9 staff is a severe surplus of labour!? TiT I guess.

It's the tip of the iceberg. According to a pilot I spoke with said that they are not renewing any foreign pilots contracts next year. They are going to go with Junior Thailand pilots with less hours and experience because they can pay them less. Going to be a scary airline to fly with.

12 minutes ago, 30la said:

Do you want to reduce costs?
1. Eliminate some useless managers!
2. Decrease the salary of all remaining managers!
3. Eliminate the annual bonuses!
4. Coordinate your flights better!
5. Make a flight with your company a great experience!
And to top it off, put off the expense of new planes for a more propitious moment!
Decreasing the flight staff is certainly not a good idea!

The cabin crew are the most important revenue creators, if CC are not happy passengers don’t enjoy the service. Thai has reduced cabin crew condition continuously, the annual bonus went over ten years ago, if they are still paying that to office staff it doesn’t make sense.  

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

And i thought it was only me that noticed about QANTAS trolly dollies.

The women are bad enough. 

But look at some of the men.

Fair enough in business first it suggests senior service. 

But I think just about every one prefers to be attended by the younger smart looking ones.

What a lot of unpleasant comments!  For a real laugh take a look at what is going on in the UK and USA.  Yes, there are some problems here but the blatant racism and corporate theft in those countries makes almost every place else look good.  So, shut up and eat your porridge Grumpy Grandpa.

41 minutes ago, notrub said:

What a lot of unpleasant comments!  For a real laugh take a look at what is going on in the UK and USA.  Yes, there are some problems here but the blatant racism and corporate theft in those countries makes almost every place else look good.  So, shut up and eat your porridge Grumpy Grandpa.

They would love to hear all about your USA and UK airline woes over at Not Thai Visa where they don’t talk about Thailand.

2 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

But in which departments are they overmanned.

We need an HR mole to find this out. I suspect not in the engineering department as they have always had problems retaining staff from lucrative offers particularly from the mid-east. There are probably 2 or 3 tiers of management that could be lost. When you look at EVA or Singapore you have to say the overmanning is in the 1000s so probably right across the board.

3 hours ago, Dario said:

When I was younger, becoming an air hostess was a dream for many girls, not anymore. Even at once prestigious SWISSAIR, now SWISS, the pay nowadays is as little as that of a waitress in a restaurant. My daughter has chosen to become a professional tennis player.

Waitresses in a restaurant have space to work. Good on your daughter. 

4 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

I hope they go under soon

Why would you hope a national air-line goes under?

Sometimes the comments of our TV.com posters against any aspect of our host nation fit somewhere between racist and gallactically dumb... 

Thai are not a bad airline, they are just poorly managed. It would seem they are far better than their American cousins. 

Then, with a little balance and a healthy absence of negative bias we will notice that the national carriers of most nations are always reporting how they are suffering financially. 

Hoping for someone else's failure, especially a national company just seems bitter and stupid, as if someone 'hates all things Thai'... 

https://simpleflying.com/etihad-slowly-laying-off-pilots-amid-financial-struggles/

https://www.economist.com/business/2019/10/19/british-airways-profits-may-not-fly-high-much-longer

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/16/lufthansa-admits-financial-turbulence-with-336m-loss-in-first-quarter

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sometimes the comments of our TV.com posters against any aspect of our host nation fit somewhere between racist and gallactically dumb... 

Thai are not a bad airline, they are just poorly managed. It would seem they are far better than their American cousins. 

Then, with a little balance and a healthy absence of negative bias we will notice that the national carriers of most nations are always reporting how they are suffering financially. 

Hoping for someone else's failure, especially a national company just seems bitter and stupid, as if someone 'hates all things Thai'... 

https://simpleflying.com/etihad-slowly-laying-off-pilots-amid-financial-struggles/

https://www.economist.com/business/2019/10/19/british-airways-profits-may-not-fly-high-much-longer

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/16/lufthansa-admits-financial-turbulence-with-336m-loss-in-first-quarter

nothing to do with thai bashing, i've just read too many negative articles on this particular company, most notably this one

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1129980-tg-president-warns-airline-on-brink-of-collapse-staff-must-work-harder/

blaming staff for not working hard enough for their failings is just pathetic

6 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

A shame these new 200 hosties jobs have been cancelled....and the old remain.

Thai will start to look like Qantas soon....grannies bought out of retirement!

I'll take experience over looks if service comes first...  I do agree however that eye candy has appeal.

20 hours ago, Youlike said:

yes, 1200 baht application fee...what't that about? 

Its pretty  much a standard thing to do here in Thailand for " Prestigious " Companies to charge for an Application of Employment.

Reason  " We are the best, and if you want to work for the best you have to pay to join the club "

Pretentious or what ?

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

nothing to do with thai bashing, i've just read too many negative articles on this particular company, most notably this one

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1129980-tg-president-warns-airline-on-brink-of-collapse-staff-must-work-harder/

blaming staff for not working hard enough for their failings is just pathetic

And if you lived elsewhere you would likely be reading criticisms of national companies such as the national carrier of that country. 

As you are in Thailand, or at least concentrating on a Thailand focused forum it stands to reason that most of the news is Thai based and being one of Thailands major companies, the news is frequent. 

The media in Thailand is especially clumsy at handling such information, the chiefs of these companies are poorly trained in media relations, their comments clumsy and bordering on the moronic - as they do in many 'developing nations' who's companies executives are poorly trained to handle the publicity such positions attract. 

There's no doubt Thai airways struggles financially, that's been the headline for over 20 years, the same headline we have been reading for over 20 years with other national airlines. 

But why 'hope that they go under' on an intellectual it just doesn't make any sense at all unless you are allowing petty emotion to rule your comments. 

"It was suggested that we should upgrade cabin crew to the status of service crew through safety security standard training, but we have to consider that the number of staff on each aircraft should not be lower than the standard criteria,” he said.

Huh? What kind of 'double-speak' is this?

Is this guy a politician in his spare time?

5 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Has he got any idea what he is doing or how to run an International Airline. What are his qualifications and previous experience.

Being aligned to the right military faction is all that is required. ????????

Archived