BANGKOK
snoop1130

What will 5G do for me?

The biggest impediment to 5G here is the buildings.  The higher frequency 5G signals are not good at penetrating solid objects with cement and brick structures being among the worst.  

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

We are years if not decades away from a fully implemented 5G network. None exists in the US. AT&T has a fake 5G E network. Barely faster than 4G. And Thailand? How long did it take to get 4G up and running?

Big four US carriers face off over 5G

https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-vs-at-t-vs-t-mobile-vs-sprint-5g-we-compare-their-peak-speeds/

It will allow Huawei to control your life and finances better—if you don’t succumb to cancer first...

• Like 2

The challenges are that it will be easier for people to track you and hackers to hack you.  As to the health risks I have seen too many articles on both sides of the argument to know for sure but I am sure a year after it is out we will find out.

The only issue I have is that as with anything else it will be a new cost shoved onto me as providers will phase out 4 G and make 5 g mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We are years if not decades away from a fully implemented 5G network. None exists in the US. AT&T has a fake 5G E network. Barely faster than 4G. And Thailand? How long did it take to get 4G up and running?

Hopefully long enough for people in general, and on this site, to become routinely aware of the incredibly magnified health risks associated with 5G.  And don’t expect it to come from the author at the Nation of the above article. 

Edited by Harveyg
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Beggar said:

Is this article from Huawei? 

Reads like a telcom industry news release, or should I say, PR release.

I've got supposed 4G / LTE from DTAC in the center of BKK, and I don't get 150 Mbps down now on mobile data. And when I ran a mobile data speedtest on my phone this morning, it came it at about 39 Mbps for multi threads and 5 Mbps for single thread.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 hours ago, Cereal said:

5G will give China the keys to all the locks. 

Yes; 5G is much bigger than telephones and internet. It will connect everything, with everything. 

At this point, even if China and Huawei where completely trustworthy,  according to many IT security experts, the OS is pretty sloppy, with plenty of vulnerabilities. 

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I believe the terms of bidding docs released the other day by NBTC said the carriers would have to cover 50% of the country's population with 5G service within four to eight years of bid award... depending on the spectrum.

The article, at least, didn't specify what if any standards exist for going beyond the 50% of population coverage criteria.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

The only issue I have is that as with anything else it will be a new cost shoved onto me as providers will phase out 4 G and make 5 g mandatory.

Not to mention, you'll get to (have to) buy new mobile phones if you want to take advantage of the future 5G service, because it won't function on most of the phones used today, much less even on most of the phones only being sold today.

17 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

sounds all great, until someone hacks the system. Imagine driverless cars being hacked and all the traffic lights in the smart city are turned to green. While i am not a Luddite, maybe i am just a sceptical old man!

Join the club!