Bank Ripping off Tourists

12 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Very poor rates everywhere :That's simply not true. Two examples : Manila and HCMC, the booths at the International Airport give fairly decent rates, certainly for the USD and a couple of other hard currencies. You can do a little better by going downtown, but not much better. 

I usually bring a knot of cash and go to basement and swap it out at super rich and throw it in atm in cnx account to avoid fees during my stay as I have account..

Would you say I should try another for usd?  or wait til I transfer to Cm?..was just trying to get some tips

as I may have to scrurry to catch my flight.....didnt think about Manila and HCMC...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/13/2019 at 8:38 PM, KhaoYai said:

Read my post properly. Yes, I travel a lot and I did say that the airport booths are known to give poor rates. Its the fact that the same bank, is giving different rates just a few floors down that I object to.

Did you consider the difference in rent between the 2 places?

On 11/13/2019 at 9:38 PM, KhaoYai said:

Read my post properly. Yes, I travel a lot and I did say that the airport booths are known to give poor rates. Its the fact that the same bank, is giving different rates just a few floors down that I object to.

No. You didn’t say “ Airport booths are known to give poor rate “. You said 

“ The bank booths at Suvarnabhumi airport are not the best place to change money”. You never mentioned worldwide you specifically mentioned Suvarnabhumi.  You where having another one of your Thai bashes, but unfortunately for you, this one came back to bite you where the sun don’t shine. 

6 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

You where having another one of your Thai bashes, but unfortunately for you, this one came back to bite you where the sun don’t shine. 

I don't know what the hell you are talking about and I'm not going to argue with you further - you simply don't get it.

But........ 'another one of your Thai bashes'.......... where the hell do you get that from?  I don't take that stance at all actually. There are issues in every country - nowhere's perfect but in no way am I bashing Thailand by pointing out the practices of the bank. If I'm 'bashing' anyone, its the bank!

If you'd like to point me in the direction of threads where I've been 'bashing' Thailand, I'd be happy to respond.

My backside remains unbitten thanks.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't know what the hell you are talking about and I'm not going to argue with you further - you simply don't get it.

But........ 'another one of your Thai bashes'.......... where the hell do you get that from?  I don't take that stance at all actually. There are issues in every country - nowhere's perfect but in no way am I bashing Thailand by pointing out the practices of the bank. If I'm 'bashing' anyone, its the bank!

If you'd like to point me in the direction of threads where I've been 'bashing' Thailand, I'd be happy to respond.

My backside remains unbitten thanks.

You didn’t mention any other countries. You only mentioned one airport. You attempted to start a Thai bank bashing thread by mentioning a certain bank and a certain airport. You now realise you made a mistake and are trying to cover your tracks. End of story so no need to reply. In fact don’t reply as your just digging yourself in deeper. 

On 11/13/2019 at 9:34 PM, KhaoYai said:

Because most tourists up in the arrivals hall would have no idea that they just a few hundred meters away they can get a much better rate from the same bank.

I should have known better than to post on this forum!

Don't be discouraged: your information will be appreciated by most travellers; never mind the saddo's sarchy comment.

1 hour ago, safarimike11 said:

Don't be discouraged: your information will be appreciated by most travellers; never mind the saddo's sarchy comment.

The information is valuable.  You can save money by going down to the basement, and (possibly) save even more when you do your exchange downtown where the costs of operating are lower.

A lot of that value gets lost in the noise when perfectly normal business practices are referred to as a rip-off or a scam (as it was in the original title to the thread).

Thank you for your comments gentlemen. I made the original post because it was something that concerned me when I saw what was going on at Suvarnabhumi.  It is obvioulsy not the only rip off going on in Thailand or anywhere else in the world but I'm not too worried about what happens in other places.

However, whilst I'm more than happy to debate, answer or accept criticism about any claim I make, I did not make the post to then have unfounded allegations made against me by someone who simply disagrees with my claims and clearly doesn't fully understand all that I wrote. As so often happens on TV, the thread disintegrates into a row - that was never my intention.

So I'll leave it there - other than to say, that whilst I've listened to the criticism and some valid points made by some members, I am still of the mind that the practice I originally reported is carried out with the intention of ripping off tourists.  I also think there is an element of Kasikorn trying to teach some of the dedicated exchanges, who give better rates than they usually do, a lesson.

Businesses are not charities, they exist to make a profit, I appreciate that, I've been in business myself for nearly 40 years.  However, how they achieve that goal may not always be right. In this case I happen to believe its what in the UK, we would call, 'sharp practice'. Tourists are often tired and a little disorientated after a long flight. Contrary to what some believe, they may not have done their homework before travelling. Only last week I talked to an expat who didn't even know that Super Rich and other similar exchanges existed so I think its reasonable to assume that a fair number of tourists don't.  I also wonder if any tourists at all, are aware of the practice I've reported - clearly some are not or they wouldn't be queueing at the bank booths on the upper floors. I'm also pretty sure that the majority of tourists would be disgusted if they were informed of what Kasikorn is doing.

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Thank you for your comments gentlemen. I made the original post because it was something that concerned me when I saw what was going on at Suvarnabhumi.  It is obvioulsy not the only rip off going on in Thailand or anywhere else in the world but I'm not too worried about what happens in other places.

However, whilst I'm more than happy to debate, answer or accept criticism about any claim I make, I did not make the post to then have unfounded allegations made against me by someone who simply disagrees with my claims and clearly doesn't fully understand all that I wrote. As so often happens on TV, the thread disintegrates into a row - that was never my intention.

So I'll leave it there - other than to say, that whilst I've listened to the criticism and some valid points made by some members, I am still of the mind that the practice I originally reported is carried out with the intention of ripping off tourists.  I also think there is an element of Kasikorn trying to teach some of the dedicated exchanges, who give better rates than they usually do, a lesson.

Businesses are not charities, they exist to make a profit, I appreciate that, I've been in business myself for nearly 40 years.  However, how they achieve that goal may not always be right. In this case I happen to believe its what in the UK, we would call, 'sharp practice'. Tourists are often tired and a little disorientated after a long flight. Contrary to what some believe, they may not have done their homework before travelling. Only last week I talked to an expat who didn't even know that Super Rich and other similar exchanges existed so I think its reasonable to assume that a fair number of tourists don't.  I also wonder if any tourists at all, are aware of the practice I've reported - clearly some are not or they wouldn't be queueing at the bank booths on the upper floors. I'm also pretty sure that the majority of tourists would be disgusted if they were informed of what Kasikorn is doing.

The only accurate reporting in that entire post is where you say threads on Thaivisa disintegrate. 

Main concourse = Bad, all main banks, same rates.

Basement = Better, but just about all the same.

Superrich etc at their main Bangkok city branches = Best (about 0.20 Baht per GBP better than the airport according to their own websites)

As for other cities, it's always the money changers that have the best rates, forget the Thai banks.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:02 PM, surangw said:

I use my atm card.    no hassel 

Just out of interest I used my NatWest ATM card at a KBank to withdraw 200THB last week and I was deducted 13.17UKP. That works out at 15THB to the UKP!

OK, I was expecting some price gouging, but this is a bit far methinks. Anyway I achieved what was intended which was to use my ATM card at least once during its 3 year life span as I didn't use the last card at all and had to call the bank to get a replacement. Apparently they told me if I dont' use the card it doesn't get replaced.

Still I won't be going to the ATM in Thailand with it again, and hopefully now they have these external card readers needed for online banking which use the ATM card I will get my card sent to my address in Thailand whenever the old one expires, or is that wishful thinking? 

3 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Just out of interest I used my NatWest ATM card at a KBank to withdraw 200THB last week and I was deducted 13.17UKP. That works out at 15THB to the UKP!

OK, I was expecting some price gouging, but this is a bit far methinks. Anyway I achieved what was intended which was to use my ATM card at least once during its 3 year life span as I didn't use the last card at all and had to call the bank to get a replacement. Apparently they told me if I dont' use the card it doesn't get replaced.

Still I won't be going to the ATM in Thailand with it again, and hopefully now they have these external card readers needed for online banking which use the ATM card I will get my card sent to my address in Thailand whenever the old one expires, or is that wishful thinking? 

You used an overseas bank ATM for a 200 baht withdrawal, Are you serious! All ATM’s tell the cost the cost for transactions before you press the confirm button. So it’s really you fault for not educating yourself not the banks.   

8 hours ago, meand said:

The only accurate reporting in that entire post is where you say threads on Thaivisa disintegrate. 

Please tell me which parts are inaccurate? Kasikorn don't offer 2 rates? All tourists know they can bet a better rate from the same bank downstairs?............etc. etc. Whilst I accept that using the term Rip Off may be a matter of opinion, much of what I wrote is factual - unless you know otherwise?

Note, you state 'Entire post' which suggests that everything is inaccurate apart from the statement about disintegration.

13 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

Are you serious!

I think you missed the entire point of my experience. I needed to use the card once in its lifespan or not get a replacement in the post - only place I could use card was at an ATM. The ATM costs were collateral damage and I expected it - but I still think in this day and age one shouldn't be charged so high to access your money in the world. I am now waiting to see if the UK bank sends me a replacement ATM card as this once expires - it was either that or phone up and reapply a new card. It seems like these cards are now needed in the card readers they mail out to log onto accounts. 

1 hour ago, MJKT2014 said:

I think you missed the entire point of my experience. I needed to use the card once in its lifespan or not get a replacement in the post - only place I could use card was at an ATM. The ATM costs were collateral damage and I expected it - but I still think in this day and age one shouldn't be charged so high to access your money in the world. I am now waiting to see if the UK bank sends me a replacement ATM card as this once expires - it was either that or phone up and reapply a new card. It seems like these cards are now needed in the card readers they mail out to log onto accounts. 

You can use your card in Tesco to buy a packet of chips, it would cost you far less..

3 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Noted and if my post offended you in anyway I take it back. 
Some other countries charge some ridiculous amounts also. I was in Australia a few months ago. Used my overseas ATM to withdraw cash. The ATM at ANZ charged $3 Ozzy dollars. Next few days went to NAB and that ATM charge was $7 Ozzy dollars. Needless to say I cancelled the Transaction and walked to ANZ again. 

Hopefully you get your UK card delivered to you in Thailand. 

Archived