Self employed

Hi,
I will be applying for my wifes residency visa to the uk in January. I have been told I need the following documents. 
Tax receipt P60
Letter of employment 
Letter of contract 
Pay slips.
I am self employed and will only be able to provide my tax returns from the accountant and bank statements. My accountant has said the tax office does not issue receipts. 
Will this be enough as proof of income. 
Regards, 
Tim.

Can't answer the question directly but there's a lot of information here if you haven't already found these websites

Home Office publication on the financial requirement 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/826340/Appendix-FM-1-7-Financial-Requirement-ext_1.pdf

and the Appendix FM-SE: family members specified evidence

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

You list in the OP docs that are relevant only to the financial requirement - presumably that's not your full list of supporting documents?

15 hours ago, globalThailand said:

Can't answer the question directly but there's a lot of information here if you haven't already found these websites

Home Office publication on the financial requirement 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/826340/Appendix-FM-1-7-Financial-Requirement-ext_1.pdf

and the Appendix FM-SE: family members specified evidence

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

You list in the OP docs that are relevant only to the financial requirement - presumably that's not your full list of supporting documents?

Thank I'll have a wade through it tonight. I think I have seen everything but always worth a check. 

19 hours ago, timstocks666 said:

My accountant has said the tax office does not issue receipts.

Of course you can get a reciept of payed tax. You or your accountant should have that online or by mail every year after filing and approval of the company´s economical and yearly declaration.

If you are self-employed as a sole trader then these are the requirements:

7. In respect of self-employment in the UK as a partner, as a sole trader or in a franchise all of the following must be provided:

1. (a) Evidence of the amount of tax payable, paid and unpaid for the last full financial year.
  2. (b) The following documents for the last full financial year, or for the last two such years (where those documents show the necessary level of gross profit as an average of those two years):
    1. (i) annual self-assessment tax return to HMRC (a copy or print-out); and
    2. (ii) Statement of Account (SA300 or SA302).
  3. (c) Proof of registration with HMRC as self-employed if available.
  4. (d) Each partner’s Unique Tax Reference Number (UTR) and/or the UTR of the partnership or business.
  5. (e) Where the person holds or held a separate business bank account(s), bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s).
  6. (f) personal bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s) showing that the income from self-employment has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.
  7. (g) Evidence of ongoing self-employment through the provision of at least one of the following: a bank statement dated no more than three months earlier than the date of application showing transactions relating to ongoing trading, or evidence dated no more than three months earlier than the date of application of the renewal of a licence to trade or of ongoing payment of business rates, business-related insurance premiums, employer National Insurance contributions or franchise payments to the parent company.
  8. (h) One of the following documents must also be submitted:
    1. (i) (aa) If the business is required to produce annual audited accounts, such accounts for the last full financial year; or
    2. (bb) If the business is not required to produce annual audited accounts, unaudited accounts for the last full financial year and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation, from an accountant who is a member of a UK Recognised Supervisory Body (as defined in the Companies Act 2006) or who is a member of the Institute of Financial Accountants;
    3. (ii) A certificate of VAT registration and the VAT return for the last full financial year (a copy or print-out) confirming the VAT registration number, if turnover is in excess of £79,000 or was in excess of the threshold which applied during the last full financial year;
    4. (iii) Evidence to show appropriate planning permission or local planning authority consent is held to operate the type/class of business at the trading address (where this is a local authority requirement); or
    5. (iv) A franchise agreement signed by both parties.
  9. (i) The document referred to in paragraph 7(h)(iv) must be provided if the organisation is a franchise.

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Of course you can get a reciept of payed tax. You or your accountant should have that online or by mail every year after filing and approval of the company´s economical and yearly declaration.

My thoughts, it's my first time since returning from Thailand so I am unfamiliar. I will quiz him again. Do you think a tax return and bank statements will suffice.

2 hours ago, Elad said:

If you are self-employed as a sole trader then these are the requirements:

7. In respect of self-employment in the UK as a partner, as a sole trader or in a franchise all of the following must be provided:

1. (a) Evidence of the amount of tax payable, paid and unpaid for the last full financial year.
  2. (b) The following documents for the last full financial year, or for the last two such years (where those documents show the necessary level of gross profit as an average of those two years):
    1. (i) annual self-assessment tax return to HMRC (a copy or print-out); and
    2. (ii) Statement of Account (SA300 or SA302).
  3. (c) Proof of registration with HMRC as self-employed if available.
  4. (d) Each partner’s Unique Tax Reference Number (UTR) and/or the UTR of the partnership or business.
  5. (e) Where the person holds or held a separate business bank account(s), bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s).
  6. (f) personal bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s) showing that the income from self-employment has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.
  7. (g) Evidence of ongoing self-employment through the provision of at least one of the following: a bank statement dated no more than three months earlier than the date of application showing transactions relating to ongoing trading, or evidence dated no more than three months earlier than the date of application of the renewal of a licence to trade or of ongoing payment of business rates, business-related insurance premiums, employer National Insurance contributions or franchise payments to the parent company.
  8. (h) One of the following documents must also be submitted:
    1. (i) (aa) If the business is required to produce annual audited accounts, such accounts for the last full financial year; or
    2. (bb) If the business is not required to produce annual audited accounts, unaudited accounts for the last full financial year and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation, from an accountant who is a member of a UK Recognised Supervisory Body (as defined in the Companies Act 2006) or who is a member of the Institute of Financial Accountants;
    3. (ii) A certificate of VAT registration and the VAT return for the last full financial year (a copy or print-out) confirming the VAT registration number, if turnover is in excess of £79,000 or was in excess of the threshold which applied during the last full financial year;
    4. (iii) Evidence to show appropriate planning permission or local planning authority consent is held to operate the type/class of business at the trading address (where this is a local authority requirement); or
    5. (iv) A franchise agreement signed by both parties.
  9. (i) The document referred to in paragraph 7(h)(iv) must be provided if the organisation is a franchise.

Thanks I will forward this to him.

1 hour ago, timstocks666 said:

My thoughts, it's my first time since returning from Thailand so I am unfamiliar. I will quiz him again. Do you think a tax return and bank statements will suffice.

Yes it will along with the SA302, a full set of your latest accounts, and validated bank statements for the period. Bank statements either need to be original posted statements. If not get a letter from the bank validating them or get them to stamp and date them. You don't actually need to have paid the tax if it's not due. My wife got her second FLR back in May and the tax is due to be paid at the end of January.

1 hour ago, timstocks666 said:

Regarding only tax and financials, my answer would be a yes. 

Archived