Britain to become "second rate" in the world after Brexit - EU's Tusk

webfact

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Obviously the words "in my opinion" are absent from your vocabulary.

Only the minority think the electorate were deceived, the majority of the electorate were fed up facing a state of emergency every year and more than happy to give the European project a chance.

Despite what you want to think, there never was any "good old days", and I can only assume you never had a mortgage in the 70s. Only a warped mind would want to put people back into that situation.

Well, IMHO, it looks like the majority of the 2016 electorate finally realise that we were deceived. In 1975 the majority were prepared to give the Common Market a chance - it was never sold as a "European project" - if it had been then (IMHO) we would have voted out of it then. I didn't mention any "good old days", although despite the economic troubles of the 70's, I do think the UK was a happier place then. I did not make enough money to have mortgage in the 70's but having one of some kind means that, at least, one is on the property ladder; a sad impossibility for so many youngsters these days.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Let's start with the Commonwealth countries, which can certainly feed us and get us drunk to ease any pain, as we will miss the EU and its clout sooo much. 

What makes you so sure that the commonwealth countries are going to give you anything at all? Or are you guys now willing to release your post brexit economic and trade strategy to show where the losses from brexit will be made up? 

3 minutes ago, samran said:

What makes you so sure that the commonwealth countries are going to give you anything at all? Or are you guys now willing to release your post brexit economic and trade strategy to show where the losses from brexit will be made up? 

They will not give, they will sell.....????............????

2 hours ago, samran said:

I'm not sure about anything but the potential for a stronger connection with the British Commonwealth is surely there because of who we are. It's not a question of giving, it's a question of trading more with our old friends, who were partially cut off from us as one of the costs of joining the EEC. I'm surprised the Commonwealth bond has survived as well as it has but that alone must mean something?

We trade at a huge loss with Europe as it is, so I'm not what your point is?

29 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I'm not sure about anything but the potential for a stronger connection with the British Commonwealth is surely there because of who we are. It's not a question of giving, it's a question of trading more with our old friends, who were partially cut off from us as one of the costs of joining the EEC. I'm surprised the Commonwealth bond has survived as well as it has but that alone must mean something?

We trade at a huge loss with Europe as it is, so I'm not what your point is?

Gawd, basing your trade strategy on the blinkered nostalgia for colonialism, and - the exploitation and maladministration of many of those places aside (partition anyone?) - hoping there is any goodwill left after you threw your former colonies under the bus to join EEC. That's one way of doing it I guess.

2 hours ago, transam said:

They will not give, they will sell.....????............????

Come on Trans... 'they' need to give you market access, cause you know, you leaving the EU means that the easy access you had to sell your stuff on the continent goes up in smoke. 

Surely you know the only way to pay for your imports is with the foreign currency earned from exports?

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

In 1975 the majority were prepared to give the Common Market a chance - it was never sold as a "European project" - if it had been then (IMHO) we would have voted out of it then.

I doesn't really matter how you want to spin it, it was always the European project. The UK would have joined in 1961 if it wasn't for De Gaulle. It was the third attempt before the UK got accepted and then you try and claim it wasn't what they wanted. A mistake that took 12 years to make? Good one.

31 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I'm not sure about anything but the potential for a stronger connection with the British Commonwealth is surely there because of who we are.

You mean the countries that want to claim compensation because of brexit.

2 hours ago, samran said:

Gawd, basing your trade strategy on the blinkered nostalgia for colonialism, and - the exploitation and maladministration of many of those places aside (partition anyone?) - hoping there is any goodwill left after you threw your former colonies under the bus to join EEC. That's one way of doing it I guess.

Your description is colourful but your accusations and assumptions are false. If the effects of any British colonisation were so bad, how then has the Commonwealth survived, if not for the fact that it is still valued by the member nations? The Heath gov threw it under the bus, not me. 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I doesn't really matter how you want to spin it, it was always the European project. The UK would have joined in 1961 if it wasn't for De Gaulle. It was the third attempt before the UK got accepted and then you try and claim it wasn't what they wanted. A mistake that took 12 years to make? Good one.

You are deviating. Like a politician. 

On 11/18/2019 at 6:28 PM, dimitriv said:

Talking will not help. Proving anything also not. He is 100% pro Brexit. Everything you prove or say will be considered untrue. He strongly believes that the UK will prosper after Brexit, and that the UK will become a world power again.

These people believe that in the past everything was much better. The past...  When people could make a living doing repeating work, every day the same, in factories. But forgets that the UK car industry is now German, even icons like Jaguar, Rolls Royce and Bentley are now foreign, the UK steel industry was bought by the Chinese etc. 

And this is all the fault of the EU. Once the UK is out, everything will get better soon.

And I forgot that the EU will collapse because they will miss the 8 billion UK contribution. They will go down because all other countries together are not able to compensate for this.

That is how it is ????  

Not able or not willing to contribute?it's up to the eu s citizens to decide if they want to stay or leave.

16 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well, IMHO, it looks like the majority of the 2016 electorate finally realise that we were deceived. In 1975 the majority were prepared to give the Common Market a chance - it was never sold as a "European project" - if it had been then (IMHO) we would have voted out of it then. I didn't mention any "good old days", although despite the economic troubles of the 70's, I do think the UK was a happier place then. I did not make enough money to have mortgage in the 70's but having one of some kind means that, at least, one is on the property ladder; a sad impossibility for so many youngsters these days.

QUOTE: despite the economic troubles of the 70's, I do think the UK was a happier place then.

May I remind you of a popular English song of the 70's? Interesting lyrics.

21 hours ago, nauseus said:

I did not make enough money to have mortgage in the 70's but having one of some kind means that, at least, one is on the property ladder; a sad impossibility for so many youngsters these days.

First line of defence, attack the messenger.

In 1971 I was an engineering Sgt in the RAF, are you trying to tell people that it is impossible for an engineering Sgt in today's armed forces to get a mortgage.

Anyone who had a mortgage in the 70's is never going to forget the interest rates that prevailed at the time. Brexiteers would want to put the younger generation in an even more difficult position than they are now.

Rather than address the point feel free to continue the personal attacks.

17 hours ago, nauseus said:

I'm surprised the Commonwealth bond has survived as well as it has but that alone must mean something?

Countries including Australia have asked for trade compensation from the UK and the EU over Brexit disruption.

Fifteen countries, including the US, India and New Zealand, have been setting out Brexit concerns at a World Trade Organization (WTO) meeting in Geneva.

Australian officials said their beef and lamb exporters had already been hit after several Brexit delays.

Brazil said Brexit plans for Northern Ireland could breach WTO rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50419130

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: despite the economic troubles of the 70's, I do think the UK was a happier place then.

May I remind you of a popular English song of the 70's? Interesting lyrics.

????

Reminder not required. Punk Rock was a smaller part of the reason for our happiness then, although it did kick off after we joined the EEC. I preferred the late 60's and early 70's emergence of heavy rock much more. Loved Free. Paul Rogers was the best vocalist of his era but Johnny Rotten is a firm Eurosceptic and quite amusing these days, to his credit. ????

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

First line of defence, attack the messenger.

In 1971 I was an engineering Sgt in the RAF, are you trying to tell people that it is impossible for an engineering Sgt in today's armed forces to get a mortgage.

Anyone who had a mortgage in the 70's is never going to forget the interest rates that prevailed at the time. Brexiteers would want to put the younger generation in an even more difficult position than they are now.

Rather than address the point feel free to continue the personal attacks.

I don't know how you can label what I said as a "personal attack". You were talking about a mortgage that I might have had, not the one that you had. If you own property, count yourself lucky, lots of young people in the UK today won't get that chance.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Countries including Australia have asked for trade compensation from the UK and the EU over Brexit disruption.

Fifteen countries, including the US, India and New Zealand, have been setting out Brexit concerns at a World Trade Organization (WTO) meeting in Geneva.

Australian officials said their beef and lamb exporters had already been hit after several Brexit delays.

Brazil said Brexit plans for Northern Ireland could breach WTO rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50419130

I do expect hurried 'free' trade deals to be signed between the UK and Australia/NZ post brexit. In the UK governments desperation to get a 'win' on the board, the FTAs will be heavily lopsided, and not in the UK's favour. But such will be the quid pro quo when you want an FTA for PR purposes, rather than the normal ones negotiated over 5-10 years.

Most of our exports go to the EU, so we will need to comply with their standards.   If you judge our competence by the politicians that we elect, we are lucky that in the future, we will have no say in setting those standards. 
Boris Johnston makes me embarrassed to be British, and when faced with him or Sturgeon, it is a sad and bleak choice

22 hours ago, nauseus said:

I don't know how you can label what I said as a "personal attack". You were talking about a mortgage that I might have had, not the one that you had. If you own property, count yourself lucky, lots of young people in the UK today won't get that chance.

The brexit mentality, a grapefruit is larger than an orange so it proves the point.

19 hours ago, samran said:

I do expect hurried 'free' trade deals to be signed between the UK and Australia/NZ post brexit. In the UK governments desperation to get a 'win' on the board, the FTAs will be heavily lopsided, and not in the UK's favour. But such will be the quid pro quo when you want an FTA for PR purposes, rather than the normal ones negotiated over 5-10 years.

Exactly. This claim for "compensation" is the start of the negotiations and will be built into the agreement with the UK losing out ad infinitum.

Brexit means brexit, whatever the cost.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:26 AM, colinneil said:

What Tusk and his cronies are worried about is the UK leaving will be the start of  other countries  leaving.

which countries do you think want to leave ? ; in other countries, " leavers " are a minority

now Albania and an other country  ( don't remember the name ) want to enter the EU 

5 minutes ago, Aforek said:

which countries do you think want to leave ? ; in other countries, " leavers " are a minority

now Albania and an other country  ( don't remember the name ) want to enter the EU 

and good luck with that....and the other!

25 minutes ago, Aforek said:

None want to leave. They realise the benefits of being in the world's biggest trading bloc.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:37 PM, bannork said:

None want to leave. They realise the benefits of being in the world's biggest trading bloc.

The brexiteers of course think they can strike better deals than the worlds biggest trading bloc.

When it all goes pear shaped they will be blaming the EU for allowing Trump to take over the NHS and everything else that makes the UK worse off.

Archived