Britain to become "second rate" in the world after Brexit - EU's Tusk

webfact

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Brexiteers have never been able to get their heads around scale and why it matters. 

Remainders can't understand the relevance of an expanding EU, that has managed to simultaneously shrink in economic size.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

When those 17.4 million are financially worse off and no longer have access to free health care who are they going to blame?

no one it was a vote and they voted out, are you a Brit and have you lived with the UK as it is now,  if you are a Brit you had your say, if not a Brit then your opinion means nothing

So far, it is all about opinions, interpretations, or/and extrapolations of facts, influenced by the personal feelings of the ones who expressed them. 

Time will tell what will happens with the U.K. and the E.U.. 

For some British, having a passport without the mention of "European Union" , will already be a conquest/triumph. 

Fair enough. 

However I believe that for many others, British 

and European "man in the street", as myself, 

what influence it will have on our daily life, is the most important factor. 

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

So because you cant refute what he says you simply dismiss it.

After Brexit gets done you guys are going to have a lot of explaining to do. If any of you can be found that is.

He is predicting something that may not happen.

To go back many decades to a different time in UK politics, MRDA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRDA_(slang)

MRDA, an abbreviation for Mandy Rice-Davies Applies, is Internet slang meaning "well he would say that, wouldn't he?" It is used to indicate scepticism of a claim due to the obvious bias of the person making the claim.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Britain will lose influence in international affairs and become a "second-rate player" after it leaves the European Union

That´s spot on! Never a more true thing has been coming from the lips of this man.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That´s spot on! Never a more true thing has been coming from the lips of this man.

Tusk is the second rate element here, as are the rest of the EU big cheeses. I heard this...they said that. Balls!

But I suppose we must thank this cretin for boosting leave sentiment before the election. 

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You think being 5th largest economy in the world is a 'harsh truth'?

Nope, that´s a fact. Britain is today a strong economy despite the struggling against recession.

They were a very strong economy also before the EU was created.

However, if it will remian strong is something we will have to see. Is it strong today because it made the right decision to enter EU, or can the country stand alone and still remain strong? Can it even grow stronger?

My opinion is that they will lose and crasch badly when standing alone outside the EU. Who knows? I might be right, but I might also be wrong.

The brits have showed to be strong and survive many times while also come out even stronger after that. I do not wish people of a country to suffer, so let´s just say good luck and hope everything turns out alright.

2 hours ago, bannork said:

A lot of those have died from old age since 2016 and many have changed their minds. 

Well I am still around, alive and kicking at 75, and emphatically NO I have not changed my mind about Brexit.

I have changed my mind about British politics and British politicians though. Man y of them should still be in kindergarten at not playing at politics.

As my old Drill Instructor used to say, no names, no pack drill.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

<deleted> Tusk..a nasty little man

regards Worgeordie

It could be said that he is a pretty "second rate" politician?

Oh I forget, sorry, as a politician he would have to be elected to the post of president - of course neither he nor the Belgium who will seemlessly succeed him (as one limousine pulls away another one slips in behind) have had to face an electorate. And that is the nub of the question,  why did a majority  in the UK  vote to leave!

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

He is predicting something that may not happen.

To go back many decades to a different time in UK politics, MRDA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRDA_(slang)

MRDA, an abbreviation for Mandy Rice-Davies Applies, is Internet slang meaning "well he would say that, wouldn't he?" It is used to indicate scepticism of a claim due to the obvious bias of the person making the claim.

As well as that abbreviation already worked with the pound, I would predict it will work even better with Brexit. 

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Tusk is the second rate element here, as are the rest of the EU big cheeses. I heard this...they said that. Balls!

But I suppose we must thank this cretin for boosting leave sentiment before the election. 

So, your opinion is that UK gets more power standing alone on the international market, than remaining in European Union? You mean that they are going to be able to make better deals with a fraction of the power on the international market?

The reason we want out of Brexit is because they have turned us into a second rate country. We were doing fine with just our brothers from out colonial cousins. then the EU decide we should allow free movement of their unwanted, low skilled to come and stay which allowed businesses to take on people at low wages and cause the rise on lower incomes and force UK citizens to require food banks to feed their families.  While these groups milk our systems of welfare, and sending there monies home, while the EU fails to make all member's to pay an equal wage across all EU countries.

7 hours ago, JAG said:

It could be said that he is a pretty "second rate" politician?

Oh I forget, sorry, as a politician he would have to be elected to the post of president - of course neither he nor the Belgium who will seemlessly succeed him (as one limousine pulls away another one slips in behind) have had to face an electorate. And that is the nub of the question,  why did a majority  in the UK  vote to leave!

EXACTLY.....unelected bureaucrats telling US the British people what is best for our country (and not seeing the impact) we have had enough of it...we voted out we demand out...we want our country back to make our own decisions and elect our leaders that carry out the wishes of the majority :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, your opinion is that UK gets more power standing alone on the international market, than remaining in European Union? You mean that they are going to be able to make better deals with a fraction of the power on the international market?

yes :thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

As well as that abbreviation already worked with the pound, I would predict it will work even better with Brexit. 

Tusk is already saying it.

As for the GBP,  IMHO it is fluctuating because of the uncertainty regarding Leave/Remain. Once that gets cleared up one way or the other the GBP should stabilise.

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

As for the GBP,  IMHO it is fluctuating because of the uncertainty regarding Leave/Remain. Once that gets cleared up one way or the other the GBP should stabilise.

I'm not buying a house in France because I don't know what will happen after Brexit.

Can't imagine any new business happening in Europe until Brexit either happens or doesn't happen.

Surprised the Pound and the Euro aren't doing worse against all the other currencies as everyone will be waiting.

47 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

My opinion is that the EU is run by cretins. That's why it is failing.

17 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

That polish <deleted> should be thankful of everything the UK has done for his country. What a complete <deleted>

So, are you saying that he should not represent the European Union, and instead bow to the UK as a citizen of Poland? Anyway, I guess you are feeling he is speaking the truth, and that´s why you once again have to work on personal attacks, instead of make a discussion that shows a different possible reality..

Britain is at the forefront of 

Robotics

Aerospace

Additive manufacturing (3-D printing)

Virtual and augmented reality

AI and machine learning

Renewables

Power grids and wind farms

Healthtech

Plus the financial services will always stay in London.

Just because we don't mass manufacture products anymore, doesn't mean we can't still be a powerhouse. 

Also the country with the greatest amount of soft power

So, are you saying that he should not represent the European Union, and instead bow to the UK as a citizen of Poland? Anyway, I guess you are feeling he is speaking the truth, and that´s why you once again have to work on personal attacks, instead of make a discussion that shows a different possible reality..

He's <deleted> stirring because he's scared to death of losing his bobby's job 

36 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Tusk is already saying it.

You are probably right about the GBP. How much will change is hard to predict, though. Just let´s say it then. Get the thumbs out of your butts in the UK. Ask yourself what is most bad. Losing some points in a deal to break from the EU, or see the value of your precious GBP sink by the minute?

52 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

The reason we want out of Brexit is because they have turned us into a second rate country. We were doing fine with just our brothers from out colonial cousins. then the EU decide we should allow free movement of their unwanted, low skilled to come and stay which allowed businesses to take on people at low wages and cause the rise on lower incomes and force UK citizens to require food banks to feed their families.  While these groups milk our systems of welfare, and sending there monies home, while the EU fails to make all member's to pay an equal wage across all EU countries.

Other EU countries have negotiated a long transition period when it comes

to employees from the new member states.

The UK negotiated a short period because your government and business

wanted it.

Beside, Who do you blame that on your own playground
people who came without knowing the language,deprived you of work and opportunities???

Ps. your colonial brothers have four wives and three of these wives receive

money as single mothers. Many large properties in the UK were bought with

social money earned in this way.but keep quiet, don't tell anyone, it's racism.

3 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

He's <deleted> stirring because he's scared to death of losing his bobby's job 

He already know the time is up for a new election regarding his work, which has been in the news more than one time. Again you post something irrelevant about the person, instead of coming with something concrete that can oppose his statement. Is that because lack of knowledge about the European Union, Brexit and the European as well as the World economy?

14 minutes ago, nauseus said:

My opinion is that the EU is run by cretins. That's why it is failing.

Sure, I agree. Many of them are not the sharpest knifes in their respective boxes. However, they are storng and can not be underestimated as a combined block of force at international level. For exemple. Nobody denies the power of the United States, even as it´s run by a realestate clown mogul that hasn´t a clue about what he is doing.

He already know the time is up for a new election regarding his work, which has been in the news more than one time. Again you post something irrelevant about the person, instead of coming with something concrete that can oppose his statement. Is that because lack of knowledge about the European Union, Brexit and the European as well as the World economy?

How can you post something concrete about something that hasn't happened?

He's a dreadful man and has done nothing but cause problems during the negotiations. 

He's just making wild assumptions with no basis and he ought to keep his nose out

Archived