Antibiotic-resistant infections killing twice as many Americans as once thought

webfact

Antibiotic-resistant infections killing twice as many Americans as once thought

By Dan Whitcomb

2019-11-14T003103Z_1_LYNXMPEFAD01E_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-SUPERBUGS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Robert Redfield, Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, attends an event announcing opioid response grants to state governments in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, U.S. September 4, 2019. REUTERS/Erin Scott/File Photo

(Reuters) - Nearly twice as many people are dying in the United States from antibiotic-resistant infections than previously believed, U.S. health officials said on Wednesday, as so-called "superbugs" alarm experts with their rate of growth and spread.

Issuing its first comprehensive report into the growing health threat in six years, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it had determined that 2.8 million antibiotic resistant infections occur each year, killing 35,000 people.

A 2013 CDC study estimated that 2 million Americans were infected by superbugs each year, leading to at least 23,000 deaths."The 2013 report propelled the nation toward critical action and investments against antibiotic resistance. Today's report demonstrates notable progress, yet the threat is still real," Dr. Robert Redfield, the CDC's director, said in a statement.

Global health officials have repeatedly warned about the rise of bacteria and other microbes that are resistant to most available drugs, raising the specter of untreatable infectious diseases that could spread rapidly.

Drug resistance is driven by the misuse and overuse of antibiotics and other antimicrobials, which encourages bacteria to evolve to survive by finding new ways to beat the medicines.

The CDC said that 2019's higher numbers were the result of new and better data sources, not a rise in fatalities, and that in fact prevention efforts had decreased deaths from the hard-to-kill germs by 18%.

A spokeswoman for the nonprofit National Resources Defense Council, however, called even the CDC's new estimate far too low, saying that a recent Washington University study put the death toll at more than 160,000.

"There is no doubt that drug-resistant infections are on the rise. While CDC's estimates have improved, they remain conservative," said Avinash Kar, a senior NRDC attorney.

"Solving antibiotic resistance will require ending the rampant overuse of these drugs in livestock. Until then, these lifesaving drugs will increasingly fail when sick people need them—and, as CDC recognized, 'everyone is at risk,'" Kar said.

The NRDC said nearly two-thirds of antibiotics important for human medicine are sold for use in livestock, distributed en masse in feed or water, often to animals that are not sick.

The CDC said the antibiotic resistance "threat list" now contained 18 germs, including two more that were considered urgent: drug-resistant Candida auris and carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter.

Three urgent threats were identified in the 2013 report: carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae or CRE, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and Clostridioides difficile.

(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb in Culver City, California; Editing by Richard Chang)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-14

I cant remember the last time I took an antibiotic , it would be a very long time ago and is something I prefer not to take .

The problem here is if you go see a doctor they will give you pills in a plastic bag with no name on it so I ask for the name to be written in English (which they don't like) so I can look them up on google when I get home just to ease my mind on exactly what they are .

17 minutes ago, keith101 said:

I cant remember the last time I took an antibiotic , it would be a very long time ago and is something I prefer not to take .

The problem here is if you go see a doctor they will give you pills in a plastic bag with no name on it so I ask for the name to be written in English (which they don't like) so I can look them up on google when I get home just to ease my mind on exactly what they are .

Your phone can translate the Thai using Google translate and selecting 'camera'.

Very easy to do.

I've had about 4 courses of antibiotics this year, would have probably died 3x if I hadn't taken them.

The NRDC said nearly two-thirds of antibiotics important for human medicine are sold for use in livestock, distributed en masse in feed or water, often to animals that are not sick.

It is a truism that the aptly named American SAD diet is NOT a healthy regime. One of the main causes of serious diseases is that meat and dairy products could (and do) ALSO contain residues of hormones and pesticides, which are digested by the fast food population. Hence producing toxic results that antibiotics cannot control or eliminate.  All western societies are prone to contracting these diseases.

So I person dies in 10,000....I'll take my chances with that and I'll take antibiotics whenever I think I need them. The resistance problem is actually caused by massively excessive use as growth promoters in agriculture. 

I usually take a broad spectrum agent for routine use and add dicloxacillin if it is a skin infection, or metronidazole if it's an abscess with pus and the infection might be anaerobic.

I don't bother with the doctors here....they just give out amoxycillin which is only effective when you have a self limiting viral infection ie the infection is not caused by a bacterium and will get better by itself. 

6 hours ago, stephenterry said:

It is a truism that the aptly named American SAD diet is NOT a healthy regime. One of the main causes of serious diseases is that meat and dairy products could (and do) ALSO contain residues of hormones and pesticides, which are digested by the fast food population. Hence producing toxic results that antibiotics cannot control or eliminate.  All western societies are prone to contracting these diseases.

likely higher % antibiotics fed to livestock in thailand due to lack of meaningful controls

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've had about 4 courses of antibiotics this year, would have probably died 3x if I hadn't taken them.

The miraculous age of antibiotics is coming to a close. And the ending condition is worse than the start. Future generations will gaze in wonder how we screwed it all up.

38 minutes ago, atyclb said:

likely higher % antibiotics fed to livestock in thailand due to lack of meaningful controls

Every time someone here sneezes they start stuffing antibiotics down their neck.

Wasn't there a story about the girl from Nana Plaza who reckoned she was safe from Aids because she poured Listerene in the bath water because Aids is a germ and Listerene kills germs????

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

It's in your food. The biggest use of antibiotic is for the agroindustry. It's cheaper to give antibiotic preventively than only when needed.

36 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

The miraculous age of antibiotics is coming to a close. And the ending condition is worse than the start. Future generations will gaze in wonder how we screwed it all up.

I'm calling BS on this, along with sea level rises, food shortages, plastic bags, and all the other end of the world scare nonsense.

7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Totally agree which is why I only eat Whole Food Plant-based for the last 3 years. I have a long list of health improvements due to giving up animal protein. Check out Dr. John Mcdougal or Dr. Colin Campbell. Both nutrition doctors for 50 + years and have great websites in aiding the diet.

the rise of bacteria and other microbes that are resistant to most available drugs, raising the specter of untreatable infectious diseases that could spread rapidly.

Bad news for us, but good news for the globalist elite whose "sustainable development" plan - being rolled out globally via the UN's Agenda 21/Agenda 30 programmes - relies heavily on decimating the human population. 

The way things are shaping up, the UK's prol-loathing Prince Phillip may not have to bother coming back as a plague virus after all. It seems antibiotic-resistant bacteria may beat him to it.

Wonder if he's had his 'flu jab?

Plenty of rusty nails in my foot as a kid, and pussy wounds were like normal. Enjoyed squeezing them. Anti-biotics are for emergencies - a bullet wound, an amputation; using them for everyday ailments is just stupid. A generation brought up on anti-biotics is gonna have a big problem when that pandemic comes along, which it will, sure as night follows day.

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

I try to avoid taking medicines. I've survived eighty six years despite the medical professions best efforts. Luck of the draw maybe.????

I had a scare about a year ago with a bacteria which was resistant to all the normal antibiotics, so tests were done and culture grown, and this particular bacteria was only (treatable) by four antibiotics, none of which I'd heard of before.

So 14 hospital visits over two weeks for intravenous administration of this antibiotic, and it was cleared.

Without that, I don't know if I would be writing this post now.

Whilst I'm very grateful for that antibiotic, it is the overuse, or indiscriminate use by individuals and doctors/hospitals, which when added to the following information as regards feeding antibiotics to animals, makes me worry about the future, not for me but for our children.

This from the Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (USA)…….

By far the major use of antibiotics among animals, however, is increased efficiency, i.e. a more efficient conversion of feed to animal products, and an improved growth rate. In chicken feed, for example, tetracycline and penicillin show substantial improvement in egg production, feed efficiency and hatchability, but no significant effect on mortality. Chlorotetracycline, oxytetracyclin and penicillin also show an improved growth rate, but little effect on mortality. 

Antibiotics in animal feed, in general, are used regularly for increased efficiency and growth rate than to combat specific diseases.

“Antibiotics have been used in animal feed for about 50 years ever since the discovery not only as an anti-microbial agent, but also as a growth-promoting agent and improvement in performance. Tetracyclines, penicillin, streptomycin and bactrican soon began to be common additives in feed for livestock and poultry.

Currently, the following antibiotics are used in livestock and poultry feed: chlortetracycline, procaine penicillin, oxytetracycline, tylosin, bacitracin, neomycin sulfate, streptomycin, erythromycin, linomycin, oleandomycin, virginamycin, and bambermycins.

In addition to these antibiotics, which are of microbial origin, there are other chemically synthesized antimicrobial agents that are also sometimes used in animal feeds. These include three major classes of compounds: arsenical, nito-furan, and sulfa compounds. Arsenical compounds include arsanilic acid, 3-nitro-4-hydroxy phenylarsonic acid, and sodium arsanilate; nitro-furan compounds include furazolidone and nitro-furazone; sulfamethazine, sulfathiazole, and sulfaquinoxaline. Other chemicals are also used as antiprotozoal agents to prevent coccidiosis and histomaniasis in chickens and turkeys”.

5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

the rise of bacteria and other microbes that are resistant to most available drugs, raising the specter of untreatable infectious diseases that could spread rapidly.

Bad news for us, but good news for the globalist elite whose "sustainable development" plan - being rolled out globally via the UN's Agenda 21/Agenda 30 programmes - relies heavily on decimating the human population. 

The way things are shaping up, the UK's prol-loathing Prince Phillip may not have to bother coming back as a plague virus after all. It seems antibiotic-resistant bacteria may beat him to it.

Wonder if he's had his 'flu jab?

Two Chinese people being treated for pneumonic plague as authorities clamp down on online panic

From ABA Australia news on line.

17 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

So I person dies in 10,000....I'll take my chances with that and I'll take antibiotics whenever I think I need them. The resistance problem is actually caused by massively excessive use as growth promoters in agriculture. 

I usually take a broad spectrum agent for routine use and add dicloxacillin if it is a skin infection, or metronidazole if it's an abscess with pus and the infection might be anaerobic.

I don't bother with the doctors here....they just give out amoxycillin which is only effective when you have a self limiting viral infection ie the infection is not caused by a bacterium and will get better by itself. 

people get mainly superbugs in HOSPITALS

nurses, Md's still not washing hands and transferring disease from patient to patient

broad spectrum are SUPER BAD, you better take a specific antibiotic for a specific disease

the fact you can buy OTC is also a bad thing, in european countries, an MD with half a brain will not prescribe it for everything and nothing, as they do here in thailand, profit driven pill selling with 300 percent marges

also the ignorance amongst thai people, buying OTC, taking it for a cold (no use) and stopping when they feel better, not finishing a course =  the start of the resistance ...

skin infection ?  try TEA TREE OIL  or good oil plain GARLIC paste

16 hours ago, howbri said:

I needed anti-biotics recently for a bladder infection and enlarged prostrate.  thankful for them. 

you never heard of SAW PALMETTO for your prostrate and cranberry extract or uva ursi for UTI or bladder health ?

please, go read the side effects of your medication... as they will produce new diseases / problems, but than again you can go visit another MD that will prescribe you more pills...

On 11/14/2019 at 8:03 AM, keith101 said:

I don't think I have ever been prescribed medicines here which have not had a label on the bag printed in Thai and English, I use (and pay for) the government hospitals. 

Like you I always Google exactly what I have been prescribed. I understand that with antibiotics it is always important to complete the course, rather than stop taking them when you feel better! That is what often leads to resistance developing.

17 hours ago, howbri said:

Totally agree which is why I only eat Whole Food Plant-based for the last 3 years. I have a long list of health improvements due to giving up animal protein. Check out Dr. John Mcdougal or Dr. Colin Campbell. Both nutrition doctors for 50 + years and have great websites in aiding the diet.

Same here, and read them all. CTC's The China Study should be read and enacted by every American on the planet, including all Congress politicians, if they're going to save the planet and their lives from ever- increasing critical illnesses.

Also, add Joel Fuhrman to your list. A Nutritarian and promoter of the micro-nutrient GBOMB vegan diet, which I adhere to when following the WFPB diet.  However, he does advocate introducing small quantities of meat, fish, and oils after 6 weeks of this diet - which I ignore.

18 hours ago, atyclb said:

Yes, that is a ever-increasing health concern, but I'm sensible enough to not eat any animal meat, dairy, or eggs. More worrying in Thailand is the use of toxic pesticides. Unfortunately, many 'uneducated' farmers ignore the government (as is the usual outcome) because all they're interested in is making money from the crops.

Sod everyone else.

1 hour ago, justin case said:

broad spectrum are SUPER BAD, you better take a specific antibiotic for a specific disease

Agree with that, and one reason for the spread of antibiotic resistant bugs is taking a broad spectrum antibiotic when not needed.

the fact you can buy OTC is also a bad thing, in european countries, an MD with half a brain will not prescribe it for everything and nothing, as they do here in thailand, profit driven pill selling with 300 percent marges

Yep, Thais have a habit of going to Pharmacies and coming away with a bag full of meds, mostly not needed. Mind you, hospitals are almost as bad as they are profit driven more and more now, so will over-prescribe like it is going out of fashion!.

also the ignorance amongst thai people, buying OTC, taking it for a cold (no use) and stopping when they feel better, not finishing a course =  the start of the resistance ...

Agree

you never heard of SAW PALMETTO for your prostrate and cranberry extract or uva ursi for UTI or bladder health ?

Well the evidence for Saw Palmetto is mixed at best, and the poster had an infection so Saw Palmetto won't help that.

The type of "sugars" in Cranberry juice do play a role in stopping bacteria adhering to the bladder wall, however sometimes the right antibiotic is needed.

In short, antibiotics can be "life-savers" but indiscriminate use of them and ignorance about how they should be used are the danger IMO.

please, go read the side effects of your medication... as they will produce new diseases / problems, but than again you can go visit another MD that will prescribe you more pills...

While I'm on the same page as yourself in respect of promoting natural remedies, their main benefit is to prevent diseases from occurring, and/or alleviate the symptoms. And the science is not yet proven to benefit everyone. For example, Saw Palmetto is not a 'one cap fits all' remedy, but combined with nettle root it could prove to be effective.  

IMO, any identified and proven LUTS INFECTION should be treated medically, and (hopefully) eliminated before reverting back to herbal supplements.  In respect of Uva Ursi, there is a liver and eye health risk if continued  - and/or high - dosage of this extract is undertaken.   

Before antibiotics, there were phages. Phages are virus that attack bacteria. They're more difficult to handle than antibiotics but they are beginning to be used. One bag advantage of them is that several kinds of virus are used to attack the bacteria. That makes it likely that more than one avenue to destroying the virus are being used. Which makes the development of resistance far less likely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteriophage

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:
22 hours ago, atyclb said:

Yes, that is a ever-increasing health concern, but I'm sensible enough to not eat any animal meat, dairy, or eggs. More worrying in Thailand is the use of toxic pesticides. Unfortunately, many 'uneducated' farmers ignore the government (as is the usual outcome) because all they're interested in is making money from the crops.

Sod everyone else.

or tip government inspectors in order to do so.

think of it this way, if you get a case of strep throat confirmed skip the pharmacy and just east some thai chicken

Archived