Tempted by the 16-inch MacBook Pro?

mstevens

Is anyone else tempted by the new 16-inch MacBook Pro that has just been announced? I don't need a new machine per se, but it sure sounds sweete. I'm still using my trusty old mid-2014 15-inch MacBook Pro which hasn't missed a beat and it's hard to justify purchasing a new machine.....but nonetheless, I do find myself tempted. Anyone else going to pick themselves up a new toy MacBook before Christmas?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very much tempted ( I am on an early 2013 macbook pro ). It is still running strong, but do have a problem with the battery ( I had it replaced via recall 2 years ago, but is already acting up again....not holding the charge as long anymore...maybe 2 hours if lucky ). This model may also not support next years OS upgrade as this year I think the 2013 was minimum requirement.

So, yes, very much tempted, but probably not for Christmas but early next year....if it is even available by then. It is not available for purchase on the apple thailand website yet, but shows a starting price of 90k. I will need to research if upgrading from 4gb to 8gb ram is worth it or not ( will probably be a 3 to 5k upgrade ).

Watched a minute and turned it off....wouldnt want to waste 13 minutes on life to hear why somebody doesnt use / like a product.

I like apple products and thats all I really care about. But thanks for sharing the video ????

Back to topic: I think I will be going with the 4gb video memory instead of 8gb ( I was worried about future-proofing). I am not a heavy gamer ( especially not on a laptop ) and dont work with large pictures/videos. So the 4gb shoooould be good for a few years to come ( I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB and that hasnt caused any problems or noticeable slower speeds / lesser graphics performance.

17 minutes ago, NiwPix said:

Watched a minute and turned it off....wouldnt want to waste 13 minutes on life to hear why somebody doesnt use / like a product.

I like apple products and thats all I really care about. But thanks for sharing the video ????

The guy professionally repairs Apple products and he has lots of videos about problems with those products and incompetent Apple support - I think they call them genius ???? 

Obviously you don't have to follow his advice. But I think it's interesting that someone who knows the products in and out doesn't like them.

45 minutes ago, NiwPix said:

Back to topic: I think I will be going with the 4gb video memory instead of 8gb ( I was worried about future-proofing). I am not a heavy gamer ( especially not on a laptop ) and dont work with large pictures/videos. So the 4gb shoooould be good for a few years to come ( I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB and that hasnt caused any problems or noticeable slower speeds / lesser graphics performance.

His whole business model is about repairing Apple products. Most of the time customer come to him after Apple support failed on them. Apple business model is all about keeping their customer captive and pay for overpriced stuff. 

I just purchased the 13" Macbook Air - my 4th Mac - none have missed a beat. 

I've had the battery replaced in my most recent MacBook 12"

The reason I buy Mac's... they are better - there is no doubt in my mind. The reliability of the Mac's I have owned has been excellent - there's nothing worse than being in a remote location with no support when your PC craps out (it happened with my two PC laptops before I went Mac).

I use both a Windows Desktop PC (for some specialized software at work) and a Mac for personal use - the PC crashes, regularly. The Mac doesn't. The also PC handles MS Word and Excel better.

A Notebook cannot be compared with an Apple Laptop. 

MacBook Air Vs Pro - I chose the air because I didn't need the high-spec of the pro, neither did I figure the touch bar would bring me much advantage. It was a close call. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

my 13 inch 2012 macbook pro had a power problem and apple support wanted 21000 baht as they said the logic board died. walked to an independant apple repair shop also at fortune praram 9 plaza and they replaced a logic chip on my board for 2500 baht. has worked great since (2 years) . luis rossman (guy in video above) is well known by the thai mac repair shops and is a hero for them.

the 2012 macbook pro is easy to repair, easy to upgrade unlike newer models that force you to but ram / ssd from apple at crazy high prices. nothing special or different about apple ram or ssd's 

I have seriously gone off Apple of late. I have bought Apple products exclusively since about 2002 (3 iPods, 3 iPads, 2 desktops and 4 laptops....plus I don't know how many phones). To be honest, in 2002 Apple products were by far the best and had advantages over the competition. Now, the innovation simply is not there any more, and you are pay through the nose for the brand....and a heck of a lot for the same you can get half or a third the price with other systems. Also in places like Thailand having Safari is a bit of a pain....none of the government websites seem to accept you filling out forms with this browser...like the 90 day report or the TM 30. 

I have come to dislike Apple as a company. They pay the folk who make the phones next to nothing, despite earning the biggest profits of any public company in the world and charging an arm and leg for their products. I also dislike Apple not paying their fair share of taxes. 

I have decided my next phone will be Huawei. I am using my computers less and less these days as phones do more and more. I will likely but no more computers but buy an Android or similar tablet instead.

i like the mac os more than windows. for standard business stuff and internet surfing linux is superb. runs fast and smooth and supports soooo much hardware.

have owned macbook pro's , airs but never a desktop or imac.

built many hackintosh's with great results

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

my 13 inch 2012 macbook pro had a power problem and apple support wanted 21000 baht as they said the logic board died. walked to an independant apple repair shop also at fortune praram 9 plaza and they replaced a logic chip on my board for 2500 baht. has worked great since (2 years) . luis rossman (guy in video above) is well known by the thai mac repair shops and is a hero for them.

the 2012 macbook pro is easy to repair, easy to upgrade unlike newer models that force you to but ram / ssd from apple at crazy high prices. nothing special or different about apple ram or ssd's 

And the replaced chip cost likely not even 250B - but I understand that they charge "a lot" for the work. 2500 is still a very reasonable price.

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

And the replaced chip cost likely not even 250B - but I understand that they charge "a lot" for the work. 2500 is still a very reasonable price.

From what I understand most of the time you can't buy spare parts. They are salvaged from what they call "donor board". 

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

more costly since shops must buy donor boards and hope the needed chip is good

the work requires expensive component level repair station and microscope

5 minutes ago, NiwPix said:

Would be nice if you guys open up a new thread about why apple products are not good and there are cheaper options out there etc...

this should be about the new 16" macbook pro released yesterday.

Sounds like: I want my new toy! I don't want to listen to all those people who don't like my new toy. Or to say it again: I want my new toy! ???? 

At least you have a reason to cross the river.

3.jpg

No, I am just tired of having to waste time reading people posting why I should not like a product or change. I did my research. Apples devices mostly check all of my requirements, I am happy with them in general. They are quite a bit more expensive than other similar products and repairs are probably more expensive, but this is my choice.

I came to this thread because of the new macbook pro and not for advice what I should do with my money.

If the day ever comes an Android, samsung, windows or a new player in the business fits my needs better, I will switch. For now I am happy.

Can we please stay on topic now?

30 minutes ago, yodsak said:

It's a big improvement over the 15''  Good reviews on YouTube

Price of upgrades.

272984360_ScreenShot2019-11-14at14_45_19.png.7d5baee7f37f0f3390b3b3621e028285.png  

1877070254_ScreenShot2019-11-14at15_16_23.png.deb9903bda6646a568156edbd19011bb.png Full spec.

question; is the ram user upgradeable or soldered to logic board?

is there an ssd slot so you can buy less storage initially then in future replace with larger ssd as needed?

in defense of this new macbook it looks like they addressed thermals and put 2 cooling fans in it.

4.3 lbs is not light and a consideration if you take it on the road a lot.

15 minutes ago, yodsak said:

It's a big improvement over the 15''  Good reviews on YouTube

Price of upgrades.

272984360_ScreenShot2019-11-14at14_45_19.png.7d5baee7f37f0f3390b3b3621e028285.png  

1877070254_ScreenShot2019-11-14at15_16_23.png.deb9903bda6646a568156edbd19011bb.png Full spec.

Most upgrades seem to be for extreme users, except maybe the storage. I have 512gb and filled it a couple years ago and now constantly run "on the limit" :). But from what I read a while ago, usually you won't need more than 16gb and the more memory, the more battery it consumes. So I will probably stick with the 16gb standard.

Very much tempted! 
I'll get it sooner or later, no doubt

Switching to Macs was the best decision for me, productivity wise. Less time spent getting the PC to work, more time doing productive work. It's as simple as that.

No need for the full specs though.  16 or 32GB RAM / 512GB SS is more than enough for me.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sounds like: I want my new toy! I don't want to listen to all those people who don't like my new toy. Or to say it again: I want my new toy! ???? 

At least you have a reason to cross the river.

3.jpg

Why are you even here? You are just a Troll that hates Apple products. "OneMoreBitterFarang" should be your username ????

i do like and do own apple products so dont get me wrong but as time goes by their laptops have become very difficult to service and user upgradeability has fallen off a cliff.  apple claims they do it to make them thinner and lighter but have a look at LG gram, a 17 inch great screen and the whole thing weighs 3 lbs, that is 1.3 lbs less than apples new 16 inch macbook.  to boot LG maintains many standard usb ports, hdmi video out, thunderbolt 3, maybe sd reader and inside this apple like thin and lighter laptop ram and 2 ssd's that are easily user upgradeable .

I'm going to get the basic spec 16-inch as that will do everything I need well. I don't need more grunt of the more powerful speced machines nor do I need more internal storage.

The price here is 81,600 baht equivalent so it works out a bit cheaper than the Thai price, but a bit more expensive than the US price.

I'll sell my 2014 MacBook Pro....nothing wrong with it at all and it has served me very well (still get 4.5 hours on the battery) but at the same time it will become redundant when I get the new machine and there will be no need to keep it.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reason I buy Mac's... they are better - there is no doubt in my mind. The reliability of the Mac's I have owned has been excellent - there's nothing worse than being in a remote location with no support when your PC craps out (it happened with my two PC laptops before I went Mac).

I could give you a 10 page overview of my experiences with Apple support. It was horror. It costs me months, a lot of money and a lot of frustration. I use my laptop for my work, and cannot live a day without it. I never experienced such lousy support. I thought after paying almost 4000 Euro for a laptop I would get service. I was so wrong.

Two years ago I bought a 1100 Euro Asus. I use it 10-15 hours a day and it works perfectly fine already for 2 years. That is longer than my Macbook. So till today I saved 2900 Euro.

Support for laptops of a big brand is usually ok. I never needed support, but after my experiences with Apple support I have no reason to expect that their support is better than Asus support.

And if support fails again I still have E 2900 saved to buy a new E 1100 Asus laptop. I will still save money (E 1800) if that happens.

Apple products are too expensive and not worth it.

Archived