Tempted by the 16-inch MacBook Pro?

mstevens

8 hours ago, atyclb said:

build quality and design is not a non issue. apple has screwed up numerous hardware. from poor logic board design, poor hinge design, <deleted> poor thermal cooling design, poor keyboard design, and list goes on and on.  apple owner class action lawsuits, mass recalls.  the trash can mac pro was great engineering, size and weight but creative pros were screwed.

Same can be said about any computer manufacturer really. 

8 hours ago, atyclb said:

on mac i use apache open office, is free, does the same windows office does. 

I just use the apple apps. Pages, Numbers etc. Unless one is an excel or word power user professional its more than enough and is easier to use. 

9 hours ago, atyclb said:

since i prefer mac os over windows i would add there are lots of beautiful ultrabooks that can be hackintoshed and have slotted internal components and have a high build quality.

i have built desktop hackintoshes that are faster than real macs at a fraction of the cost with premiere quality components.

I have thought about this a lot but always disregard it because I need my computer to work all the time as I rely on it heavily for multiple functions. I might look at something like that for a home server or media device but even then there are better OS for the job

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, jaffas21 said:

i've got to agree with this video, you either like apple or you don't. I don't.

Apple have definitely some good products.

But it seems they also like to rip off people to pay enormous amounts for small repairs.

Is that fair? No!

Apple could have good products and good server at reasonable prices and they could support 3rd party companies for repairs.

I am sure they would get a very positive response for that.

But they chose not to do that...

9 hours ago, Thainesss said:
18 hours ago, atyclb said:

build quality and design is not a non issue. apple has screwed up numerous hardware. from poor logic board design, poor hinge design, <deleted> poor thermal cooling design, poor keyboard design, and list goes on and on.  apple owner class action lawsuits, mass recalls.  the trash can mac pro was great engineering, size and weight but creative pros were screwed.

Same can be said about any computer manufacturer really. 

on mac i use apache open office, is free, does the same windows office does. 

I just use the apple apps. Pages, Numbers etc. Unless one is an excel or word power user professional its more than enough and is easier to use. 

since i prefer mac os over windows i would add there are lots of beautiful ultrabooks that can be hackintoshed and have slotted internal components and have a high build quality.

i have built desktop hackintoshes that are faster than real macs at a fraction of the cost with premiere quality components.

I have thought about this a lot but always disregard it because I need my computer to work all the time as I rely on it heavily for multiple functions. I might look at something like that for a home server or media device but even then there are better OS for the job

true points and well taken

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings

best laptops.jpg

I prefer an Apple Macbook Pro over a Windows machine as its CHEAPER.

I am a heavy user and have had Sony Vaios and Asus machines before, mid-range. They used to last me two years before they basically fell apart. And by that time the OS would've slowed down significantly.

My current Macbook Pro I've had for four years and it still works the same as day 1. I've never had that with any laptop. The build quality is also stupidly good. Hardly a scratch on it!

Lol at the people saying that you can get a blazing fast Windows machine for the same money as an Apple. For how long is it going to be blazing fast? Guaranteed after one year it will be bogged down and seriously slow. 

On 11/21/2019 at 5:22 PM, atyclb said:

worse than ridiculous. new macbook pro 16" ram and ssd not only soldered to logic board but soldered to BOTTOM of logic board. must remove logic board and flip over to even see

There's two ways to look at this. 

1 ~ Stupid Apple scamming customers into buying units that are weirdly made and completely proprietary so that they can charge charge charge for everything. 

2 ~ Apple is trying to control their products so that the user experience is totally Apples, while at the same time making devices that are as small and strong and light as possible. 

I thing the real answer is in the middle somewhere.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:07 PM, Thainesss said:

Thought I would interject here and repeat again that anyone who hasn't yet upgraded to Catalina - Dont. 

Ive never, in over a decade of macs, seen the spinning beachball as much as I have with this stupid 'upgrade'.

Weird, buggy garbage. 

Was in a hotel the other day and I COULD NOT log into the hotel wifi because due to a bug in the OS, it would not allow the captive portal to open. So after spending my entire morning on my phone googling the problem, I had to start the mac in safe mode to get the window to open. 

Im not the most advanced user but I have no doubt a new mac user would never have managed to get around this problem. 

I hope they get all this sh*t work out and im confident they will but damn. 

All that said, I still wouldn't ever get a windows computer. They are exhausting machines that constantly try and trick you into allowing bloatware to infiltrate your machine and require constant monitoring. 

Catalina works fine for me - 2012 retina macbook pro. 

I just had an issue logging into AIS smart login though - well... screwing up WiFi is basically Apple standard on any OS upgrade ????

Joking aside, for everything else it's fine and I *love* dark mode. It's like having a whole new computer for free.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:26 AM, Bassosa said:

I prefer an Apple Macbook Pro over a Windows machine as its CHEAPER.

I am a heavy user and have had Sony Vaios and Asus machines before, mid-range. They used to last me two years before they basically fell apart. And by that time the OS would've slowed down significantly.

My current Macbook Pro I've had for four years and it still works the same as day 1. I've never had that with any laptop. The build quality is also stupidly good. Hardly a scratch on it!

Lol at the people saying that you can get a blazing fast Windows machine for the same money as an Apple. For how long is it going to be blazing fast? Guaranteed after one year it will be bogged down and seriously slow. 

At this point the Windows argument is ridiculous and anybody making it must be living under a rock. 

I mean they're not under a rock, they just go and look at the cheapest crappiest PC they can find, then compare it with a MacBook and determine that, oh, the MacBook costs 3x as much. Well. Duh! Of course it does!

Writing this on a 7 year old 2012 retina MacBook Pro. 16GB RAM, 512 SSD - both never needed "replacement". They just work. 

Computer is built solid as anything however I did have to replace the "non-user-replaceable" battery. Apple stood by its promise from 7 years ago and replaced this battery for $200 (no charge for labor). 

People complain about the top case assembly with keyboard and trackpad being glued to the battery. This engineering decision baffles me as much as anyone, however it should be said that

1 - Any Mac shop has a guy who will replace only the battery - they just unglue it from the top casing, they're absolute artisans at this. And then your replacement battery is only $70. Or even just $50 on AliExpress. Takes 30 minutes. Unfortunately, with the PC-like price also comes PC-like quality and so that battery became worn out within a few months. So I went with option 2 and had Apple replace it, which brings me to 2

2 - Apple replaces the battery, entire lower casing, keyboard, and trackpad. So I get a new battery for $200 but also get a new keyboard, trackpad and lower case thrown in for free. Out of this poor engineering decision comes a pretty good deal if you ask me ????

And this 7 years later... they also replaced my speakers which had blown out for $20.

This sort of customer commitment is really unique.

Dell and Acer don't need to worry about storing service parts for 7 year old laptops I guess because their crappy designs have long fallen apart 

There's some good PC laptops - thinkpads, some gaming laptops, Dell XPS higher end models. But ... they also cost just as much as Macs. Surprise, surprise ????

I'll get this new 16" for sure. Apple seems to have finally decided to make a good laptop again, after the years long disaster that was the 2016 design. I even had a 2018 for a bit, found it only marginally better than my old computer, and in some ways much worse (like only USB-C meaning everyone is carrying dongles around... )

But USBC is now mainstream so it's not an issue anymore. The 16" fixes the keyboard, and has a bigger battery - wow. Amazing machine, really deserves the Pro label.

When in the history of Apple has Apple last made a new machine *thicker* and *heavier*??!!!! First time I remember!

On 11/24/2019 at 4:19 AM, Ex Machina said:

There's some good PC laptops - thinkpads, some gaming laptops, Dell XPS higher end models. But ... they also cost just as much as Macs. Surprise, surprise ????

Let's stick to facts:

Apple Macbook,  most expensive model, I paid 3800 Euro, survived 1 year. Apple support was a nightmare.

Asus, no way to determine the exact model now, I paid 1100 Euro, 2 1/2 years old, 10 hours a day intensive use, usually stays on in the night too.

On 11/24/2019 at 10:19 AM, Ex Machina said:

At this point the Windows argument is ridiculous and anybody making it must be living under a rock. 

I mean they're not under a rock, they just go and look at the cheapest crappiest PC they can find, then compare it with a MacBook and determine that, oh, the MacBook costs 3x as much. Well. Duh! Of course it does!

Writing this on a 7 year old 2012 retina MacBook Pro. 16GB RAM, 512 SSD - both never needed "replacement". They just work. 

Computer is built solid as anything however I did have to replace the "non-user-replaceable" battery. Apple stood by its promise from 7 years ago and replaced this battery for $200 (no charge for labor). 

People complain about the top case assembly with keyboard and trackpad being glued to the battery. This engineering decision baffles me as much as anyone, however it should be said that

1 - Any Mac shop has a guy who will replace only the battery - they just unglue it from the top casing, they're absolute artisans at this. And then your replacement battery is only $70. Or even just $50 on AliExpress. Takes 30 minutes. Unfortunately, with the PC-like price also comes PC-like quality and so that battery became worn out within a few months. So I went with option 2 and had Apple replace it, which brings me to 2

2 - Apple replaces the battery, entire lower casing, keyboard, and trackpad. So I get a new battery for $200 but also get a new keyboard, trackpad and lower case thrown in for free. Out of this poor engineering decision comes a pretty good deal if you ask me ????

And this 7 years later... they also replaced my speakers which had blown out for $20.

This sort of customer commitment is really unique.

Dell and Acer don't need to worry about storing service parts for 7 year old laptops I guess because their crappy designs have long fallen apart 

I'll get this new 16" for sure. Apple seems to have finally decided to make a good laptop again, after the years long disaster that was the 2016 design. I even had a 2018 for a bit, found it only marginally better than my old computer, and in some ways much worse (like only USB-C meaning everyone is carrying dongles around... )

But USBC is now mainstream so it's not an issue anymore. The 16" fixes the keyboard, and has a bigger battery - wow. Amazing machine, really deserves the Pro label.

When in the history of Apple has Apple last made a new machine *thicker* and *heavier*??!!!! First time I remember!

writing this on my 2012 macbook pro that required a new power chip replaced on logic board done for about 2000 baht at 3rd party apple repair 23000 and up at apple. i replaced apple battery as it got swollen. i did it myself.

apple have had their share of battery issues from swollen batteries to some models being banned from commercial aircraft.

apple factors in those other components in the grossly inflated battery price

20 bucks for new speakers in a 7 year old laptop was a great deal. maybe the apple techs were ill that day and screwed up.

though i like apple i wont buy a newer macbook because they purposely solder in ram and ssd as to force you to buy it from them at their grossly inflated prices. lg makes a laptop with a 17" screen, thin and light, 2.95 lbs compared with macbook pro 16" screen at 4.3 lbs. lg gram has 2 internal ssd m.2 slots as well as a free ram slot as well as an all day battery. osx can be installed on it as well. at least 700usd less than macbook and the 14" and 15" models can be found for 1000 usd or more less than macbook.

imagine a car in which manufacturer welded in the spark plugs or welded the wheels on to the axle

i also have a lenovo carbon x1, lighter and better screen resolution then my macbook and i can easily swap ssd if it fails or i need more space. 

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

Let's stick to facts:

Apple Macbook,  most expensive model, I paid 3800 Euro, survived 1 year. Apple support was a nightmare.

Asus, no way to determine the exact model now, I paid 1100 Euro, 2 1/2 years old, 10 hours a day intensive use, usually stays on in the night too.

My Facts:

Apple MacBook Pro, bought 2014. Best machine I ever had, going back to computer ownership in the the 80s. Use it all day every day and never any problem. Never caught a virus. No Malware issues. Never had any problems installing software. Never had any blue screens. Never crashed. Runs as well and as fast now as the day I bought it. Still get 4.5 hours on the original battery. Monitor still bright and vivid.

I will buy a 16-inch MacBook Pro, a treat to myself....but this current baby is easily the best computer I have ever owned and it has served me extremely well.

1 hour ago, mstevens said:
2 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Let's stick to facts:

My Facts:

Apple MacBook Pro, bought 2014. Best machine I ever had, going back to computer ownership in the the 80s. Use it all day every day and never any problem. Never caught a virus. No Malware issues. Never had any problems installing software. Never had any blue screens. Never crashed. Runs as well and as fast now as the day I bought it. Still get 4.5 hours on the original battery. Monitor still bright and vivid.

I will buy a 16-inch MacBook Pro, a treat to myself....but this current baby is easily the best computer I have ever owned and it has served me extremely well.

your facts and positive experience do not negate or diminish the very negative experience of the other poster. it could have been the other way around depending on the luck of the draw.

have owned and/or currently own,  macbook pros, macbooks, macbook airs and they are not issue free. have had power chip issues, screen degradation issues, apple battery swelling, wifi issues, bluetooth issues, speaker issues.

apples very own support discussion forums are loaded with owner problems

forgive my objectivity and honesty

• 2 weeks later...

had a chance to see new macbook pro 16". 

observations

1 . heavy. about the same weight as my 2012 macbook pro. why spend so much to end up with another heavy in my backpack laptop? i could see some video editors needing the horsepower though.

for my normal uses not worth the money for the weight

2 nice screen

3 miss the illuminated apple cutout

4 if lg can make a 2.95 lb 17 inch laptop why can't apple make a light 16 " ?? instead of 4.3 lbs.

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2019 at 12:37 PM, Tayaout said:

I wouldn't pay for it. If it was free then I would install Arch Linux on it. 

Yep, I was tempted for about a millisecond, and I might have bought one at about half the price. Still, tell you what. If ever I feel the need to have someone stick their hand in my pocket and take all my money then give me a few emojis in return, I'll hotfoot it down to the nearest Apple store. There's always a small crowd of wannabe hisos down there. One born every minute...

Archived