Tempted by the 16-inch MacBook Pro?

22 hours ago, Thainesss said:

I just got a new 13.3" Pro 16GB RAM and 1 TB SSD and love it. Upgraded from an early 2015 Pro and its great. I could have waited a little longer to upgrade but I was in the states and sent my old 2015 MacBook in for trade in value. 

I use my Pro as a "desktop" computer when I'm at home with 2 large external monitors & keyboard. Then unplug it all for traveling. Perfect and for almost 12 years of owning Apple products I have not once had a problem. I can't say the same for the windows PC's I've had previously. 

One thing I CAN NOT STAND is the Catalina upgrade. Anyone thinking about the upgrade should wait. Its buggy as hell. 

i routinely use a 2012 13" macbook pro i7 that i upped to 16 gigs ram and 1 terabyte ssd. also connect to external monitor and good sound system. it flies.  had a power chip replaced on logic board.

should be noted due to thailand hot climate electronics can have a higher failure rate

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just purchased the 13" Macbook Air - my 4th Mac - none have missed a beat.    I've had the battery replaced in my most recent MacBook 12"   The reason I buy Mac's... they are bet

Would be nice if you guys open up a new thread about why apple products are not good and there are cheaper options out there etc... this should be about the new 16" macbook pro released yesterday

Posted Images

15 hours ago, NiwPix said:

Interesting point, but how can the iphone already have the ax chips ( not sure who the maker of the adapter is though )

heres is a screenshot from the company (murata) that makes the ax wifi chip for the iphone. can see they dont have ax that would work in a macbook

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 14.42.49.png

11 hours ago, NiwPix said:

And since the next upgrade probably will be another year, I will actually look into hackintosh laptops.

Some people have bad memories of Windows. And now think that the Apple operating system is better. It was certainly a long time more stable than Windows.

I went back to Windows a few years ago. Windows 10 is very stable. I spend 60-70 hours a week at my computer. In recent years it has never stuck, it is super stable and nice to work with.

People who say that Macs are better live in the past.

Don't be afraid 😉

Edited by dimitriv
On 11/14/2019 at 2:39 PM, Pedrogaz said:

I have seriously gone off Apple of late. I have bought Apple products exclusively since about 2002 (3 iPods, 3 iPads, 2 desktops and 4 laptops....plus I don't know how many phones). To be honest, in 2002 Apple products were by far the best and had advantages over the competition. Now, the innovation simply is not there any more, and you are pay through the nose for the brand....and a heck of a lot for the same you can get half or a third the price with other systems. Also in places like Thailand having Safari is a bit of a pain....none of the government websites seem to accept you filling out forms with this browser...like the 90 day report or the TM 30. 

I have come to dislike Apple as a company. They pay the folk who make the phones next to nothing, despite earning the biggest profits of any public company in the world and charging an arm and leg for their products. I also dislike Apple not paying their fair share of taxes. 

I have decided my next phone will be Huawei. I am using my computers less and less these days as phones do more and more. I will likely but no more computers but buy an Android or similar tablet instead.

Rather amusing to claim dislike for Apple as a company then endorse Huawei in the same breath. 

I'm very pro android and pc VS apple products, but of all the choices why Huawei given their track record?

That said this is written on a Huawei tablet but I claim no scruples. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Some people have bad memories of Windows. And now think that the Apple operating system is better. It was certainly a long time more stable than Windows.

I went back to Windows a few years ago. Windows 10 is very stable. I spend 60-70 hours a week at my computer. In recent years it has never stuck, it is super stable and nice to work with.

Don't be afraid 😉

yes latest windows is a lot more stable than some older versions. i have windows 10 on a lenovo carbon x1 that i ofen use for travel (3 lbs) . mac os was made to only support a relatively tiny amount of hardware as opposed to windows support all hardware under the sun though the spinning beachball blue screen of death equivalent can happen. mac os i find a lot more intuitive and easier when it comes to system settings

• Like 1
On 11/16/2019 at 9:50 PM, dimitriv said:

Don't be afraid 😉

nowadays macs are actually hyped up (designer) pc's since they run on the same hardware pc's run on but have different designs and some are quite nice, some are quite nice but have technical problems also.

Edited by atyclb
On 11/14/2019 at 2:13 PM, atyclb said:

my 13 inch 2012 macbook pro had a power problem and apple support wanted 21000 baht as they said the logic board died. walked to an independant apple repair shop also at fortune praram 9 plaza and they replaced a logic chip on my board for 2500 baht. has worked great since (2 years) . luis rossman (guy in video above) is well known by the thai mac repair shops and is a hero for them.

the 2012 macbook pro is easy to repair, easy to upgrade unlike newer models that force you to but ram / ssd from apple at crazy high prices. nothing special or different about apple ram or ssd's 

Where did you fix it for cheap , I’m in phuket and I wonder if there is the same . Thanks 

1 hour ago, Tonytawny said:
On 11/14/2019 at 2:13 PM, atyclb said:

my 13 inch 2012 macbook pro had a power problem and apple support wanted 21000 baht as they said the logic board died. walked to an independant apple repair shop also at fortune praram 9 plaza and they replaced a logic chip on my board for 2500 baht. has worked great since (2 years) . luis rossman (guy in video above) is well known by the thai mac repair shops and is a hero for them.

the 2012 macbook pro is easy to repair, easy to upgrade unlike newer models that force you to but ram / ssd from apple at crazy high prices. nothing special or different about apple ram or ssd's 

Where did you fix it for cheap , I’m in phuket and I wonder if there is the same . Thanks 

fortune it mall bangkok.   goe to an it mall in phuket and look around for independant mac repair shops

Thought I would interject here and repeat again that anyone who hasn't yet upgraded to Catalina - Dont. 

Ive never, in over a decade of macs, seen the spinning beachball as much as I have with this stupid 'upgrade'.

Weird, buggy garbage. 

Was in a hotel the other day and I COULD NOT log into the hotel wifi because due to a bug in the OS, it would not allow the captive portal to open. So after spending my entire morning on my phone googling the problem, I had to start the mac in safe mode to get the window to open. 

Im not the most advanced user but I have no doubt a new mac user would never have managed to get around this problem. 

I hope they get all this sh*t work out and im confident they will but damn. 

All that said, I still wouldn't ever get a windows computer. They are exhausting machines that constantly try and trick you into allowing bloatware to infiltrate your machine and require constant monitoring. 

• Like 1
On 11/18/2019 at 3:15 PM, atyclb said:

nowadays macs are actually hyped up (designer) pc's since they run on the same hardware pc's run on but have different designs and some are quite nice, some are quite nice but have technical problems also.

Sort of true if you ignore the quality of the build and the simplicity of the OS. 

On 11/17/2019 at 3:03 PM, atyclb said:

mac os i find a lot more intuitive and easier when it comes to system settings

And that's the crux of it all for me. Everything is 'simpler' on a mac. The apps for creating documents are like $20 and you pay once and they work flawlessly with all the bloat removed. There is plenty of stuff to like about macs, and just focusing on the hardware is an unfair comparison. 

You can get a PC with 16 gig ram and 1 tb ssd cheaper than a Mac but its not a mac. Its not just the hardware. Its the ease of use and lack of macro transactions. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Thainesss said:

Thought I would interject here and repeat again that anyone who hasn't yet upgraded to Catalina - Dont. 

Ive never, in over a decade of macs, seen the spinning beachball as much as I have with this stupid 'upgrade'.

Weird, buggy garbage. 

Was in a hotel the other day and I COULD NOT log into the hotel wifi because due to a bug in the OS, it would not allow the captive portal to open. So after spending my entire morning on my phone googling the problem, I had to start the mac in safe mode to get the window to open. 

Im not the most advanced user but I have no doubt a new mac user would never have managed to get around this problem. 

I hope they get all this sh*t work out and im confident they will but damn. 

All that said, I still wouldn't ever get a windows computer. They are exhausting machines that constantly try and trick you into allowing bloatware to infiltrate your machine and require constant monitoring. 

buggy yes. i am never in a rush to upgrade os when i let others suffer the issues and jump through hoops. another big issue especially for creative pro's using grater mac pros and hackintosh is apple dropped support for most nvidia gpu's since mojave.

3 hours ago, Thainesss said:

Sort of true if you ignore the quality of the build and the simplicity of the OS. 

And that's the crux of it all for me. Everything is 'simpler' on a mac. The apps for creating documents are like $20 and you pay once and they work flawlessly with all the bloat removed. There is plenty of stuff to like about macs, and just focusing on the hardware is an unfair comparison. 

You can get a PC with 16 gig ram and 1 tb ssd cheaper than a Mac but its not a mac. Its not just the hardware. Its the ease of use and lack of macro transactions. 

build quality and design is not a non issue. apple has screwed up numerous hardware. from poor logic board design, poor hinge design, <deleted> poor thermal cooling design, poor keyboard design, and list goes on and on.  apple owner class action lawsuits, mass recalls.  the trash can mac pro was great engineering, size and weight but creative pros were screwed.

on mac i use apache open office, is free, does the same windows office does. 

since i prefer mac os over windows i would add there are lots of beautiful ultrabooks that can be hackintoshed and have slotted internal components and have a high build quality.

i have built desktop hackintoshes that are faster than real macs at a fraction of the cost with premiere quality components.