BANGKOK
LazySlipper

Thai Social security not accepted for non OA

Went to immigration in Rayong and asked if social security would be acceptable in lieu of insurance. I was given a flat "NO".

Anyone thinking of using this as I was in case of emergency for visa application... forget it... Sadly

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is currently no exception for SS, Tricare or (except for the onitial yrar of entry) foreign insurance. One of several major flaws with this scheme.

Yes, and the second flaw in the system is that you only can go get a regular Non-O and make extension one year based on retirement or marriage and your insurance problem lifts up to the sky and away on a couple of blue wings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is currently no exception for SS, Tricare or (except for the onitial yrar of entry) foreign insurance. One of several major flaws with this scheme.

What about foreigners who are married to Thai spouses who are government employees? That would be applicable for quite a number of expats, although probably not the ones on OA visas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cmsally said:

What about foreigners who are married to Thai spouses who are government employees? That would be applicable for quite a number of expats, although probably not the ones on OA visas.

They would not be on oa visas. Most likely non b or O visa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

They would not be on oa visas. Most likely non b or O visa. 

they could have been on oa prior to marriage. but they should now go on a married extenion

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

The title of the thread reads that Thai Social Security is not acceptable.  I was interpreting that OP meant some sort of Thai medical system coverage was not being accepted but that may just be me reading too much into it.  

No, you read it correctly.

Thai medical system coverage that includes inpatient and outpatient with no limit.

Not accepted  under the new policy as currently written and applied.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Would also not apply. No exceptions are currently made to the requirement to have a private insurance policy from one of specified companies. The "policy" as it is currently written emphasizes purchase from specified companies, of insurance whether needed or not,  and does NOT emphasize (or IMO address) being adequately insured/protected for medical costs.

But anyone with a Thai spouse or child  could change to  extension of stay for marriage.

Some IOs are apparently saying that even those require insurance if the original visa was OA. I think that is wrong interpretation but if so, would need to leave the country and return on a non-O first  (or come in visa exempt and change to non-O).

Do you no which office saying that. Even if you make marriage extension, you require insurance if the original visa was OA.

17 minutes ago, anwa said:

Do you no which office saying that. Even if you make marriage extension, you require insurance if the original visa was OA.

I do nto recall and in any event it is a moving target. If you are in this situation suggest you ask your own IO. And ask more than once if your extension date is not near.