BANGKOK
Rob4

Thai says I shouldn’t transfer visa?

Hi.

i made a new passport in Bangkok and went to immigration division 1.

They didn’t want to transfer my student visa non ED visa or last stamp - to my new passport because I made it in Surathani.

They said in a very unclear English that I can leave with 2 passports.

My embassy said - they might not let you out of Thailand if you don’t transfer your visa, which I also read here somewhere.

Can I or can’t I, go out with 2 passports when one of them is completely empty?

i am worried because the officers on the airport are pretty pedantic.

thanks. 

• Haha 2

When we have a new passport for swedish citizens, we always gets a letter from our embassy, asking in a nice manner the thai immigration to transfer the stamps to the new passport.

I was under the impression that it is VERY healthy to have this letter. Can THIS be an issue for you maybe??

glegolo

Interesting post as I was about to post an experience leaving Thailand earlier this week via Friendship Bridge 2.  I needed to get a new passport last week (US) and as I have done on numerous times (both in Thailand and other countries) I paper-clipped the old passport with the new passport.  Well ... let me tell you, this set off a string of conversations at Thai Immigration.  Telling me I had to transfer the visa (which wasn't even a visa since I am visa exempt) to the new passport, why I didn't do this, etc, etc.  

Of course, instead of arguing and saying that I have never had to do this is all the years of coming and going in Thailand i just stood there and let them talk.  Then they stamped me out and hand wrote on the exit stamp that the entrance stamp was in my cancelled visa, etc,  and told me not to use my cancelled passport anymore (duh!).

My only thoughts were the Immigration folks at the land crossings aren't as informed as the guys at the airports or ... they were just looking for an excuse to be annoying.  Who knows.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, glegolo said:

When we have a new passport for swedish citizens, we always gets a letter from our embassy, asking in a nice manner the thai immigration to transfer the stamps to the new passport.

I was under the impression that it is VERY healthy to have this letter. Can THIS be an issue for you maybe??

glegolo

The US embassy and consulate also issues the same letter.  But, as I say in my posting ... its never been an issue until this week for me either.

Edited by kurtmartens
revised
  • Like 1

I have the letter from embassy but they didn’t want to transfer my visa because “it belongs to another province - Surathani”. 

I am super worried !!

I have the letter, but did anyone left the airport in Bangkok without doing it? 

They insist on the immigration division that I can’t do it, I tried with many officers- they said go out with 2 passports.

What to do? I am currently in Bangkok.
Is there any other authority I can speak with here?

thanks. 

17 minutes ago, glegolo said:

glegolo

Uk also gives very polite request and the transfer is done for free, well a packet  of biscuits maybe.

3 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

I have the letter, but did anyone left the airport in Bangkok without doing it? 

They insist on the immigration division that I can’t do it, I tried with many officers- they said go out with 2 passports.

What to do? I am currently in Bangkok.
Is there any other authority I can speak with here?

thanks. 

Like I said, I've left via the airports (both BKK and CNX) at least half a dozen times over the past 8 years with a cancelled passport paper-clipped to a new passport and never had an issue.  I have also arrived using a Non O in a cancelled passport paper-clipped to a new passport.  My only issue was earlier this week at a land crossing.

I wouldn't worry about leaving via BKK.

• Like 2

I know it may or may not be relevant but when I got a new passport in Malaysia they simply asked to see the old passport when leaving. I would not be surprised if it doesnt work that way in Thailand. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Like I said, I've left via the airports (both BKK and CNX) at least half a dozen times over the past 8 years with a cancelled passport paper-clipped to a new passport and never had an issue.  I have also arrived using a Non O in a cancelled passport paper-clipped to a new passport.  My only issue was earlier this week at a land crossing.

I wouldn't worry about leaving via BKK.

Yep, same.

If it's a visa issued outside Thailand it stays valid even in an expired/full passport.

If it's an extension of stay, eg based on being married or retired or work ( 90 day reports needed ) applied for in Thailand at your local Imm' office then that should really be transferred at the same office using the the embassy letter that most likely wrongly calls it a visa.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the comments.

Visa (full page print) was issued in Laos, last extension stamp issued in Surathani (all of them).

I think by law indeed they can’t transfer the last extension stamp to the new one.

So, is my embassy wrong and I just leave with 2 passports + letter in Bangkok? (I should expect a question why didn’t you transfer the stamp right? )

20 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Thanks for all the comments.

Visa (full page print) was issued in Laos, last extension stamp issued in Surathani (all of them).

I think by law indeed they can’t transfer the last extension stamp to the new one.

So, is my embassy wrong and I just leave with 2 passports + letter in Bangkok? (I should expect a question why didn’t you transfer the stamp right? )

Why not fly to Surat Thani and ask them to put the Visa into your new passport.

You can be there and back in well under a day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

glegolo

Every embassy provides this "letter". It authorizes Thai imm to transfer stamps such as last entry and and reentry permit. Without letter from embassy nothing can be transfered.

Visas are not transfered. 

It is possible to present both passports to exit and reenter. Many do this when next annual extension in near future. 

An added note...reentry permits can only be transfered at place where issued. For eg..you obtain reentry permit at airport then Thai imm office will not transfer..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Every embassy provides this "letter". It authorizes Thai imm to transfer stamps such as last entry and and reentry permit. 

I got a new UK passport at Liverpool last June, no letter with it. Entered Thailand showing the re-entry in my old one, stamped in on new one.Went to my local, Phitsanulok, Immigration two days later. The 'visa' was transferred, no charge, 15 minutes.