Thai says I shouldn’t transfer visa?

Wait , everyone here says I can transfer the visa or the stamp but I couldn’t. There is a big confusion.

I have a student visa - a full page print.

in another page I have extensions stamps, each of 3 more months. (3 extensions).

Now, what should be, and what can be transfered? 

Where in Bangkok other than immigration Division 1 I can also go ?  because they where extremely not nice there.

I guess on re-entry I can’t even talk, although the immigration said I can ask re-entry on the airport.

Edited by Rob4

If you have non-quota immigrant visa they also do not transfer anything, instead asking you to show both passports when entering and leaving the country. When next visa is done, it's stamped into the new passport.

I'm told US 10 year visa is the same. They won't transfer it, instead tell you to show both (plus all in between if you changed several times) passports when checking into your flight and at the immigration.

I've travelled several times with new passports and cancelled passport affixed. Each time there were issues, in HK and Australia. I was held up in HK while they contacted Australian Imm and in Australia they took my passports away and electronically reallocated my old visa from the expired passport to the new one. 

39 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

I've travelled several times with new passports and cancelled passport affixed. Each time there were issues, in HK and Australia. I was held up in HK while they contacted Australian Imm and in Australia they took my passports away and electronically reallocated my old visa from the expired passport to the new one. 

And in Thailand ????

3 hours ago, Rob4 said:

Wait , everyone here says I can transfer the visa or the stamp but I couldn’t. There is a big confusion.

I have a student visa - a full page print.

in another page I have extensions stamps, each of 3 more months. (3 extensions).

Now, what should be, and what can be transfered? 

Where in Bangkok other than immigration Division 1 I can also go ?  because they where extremely not nice there.

I guess on re-entry I can’t even talk, although the immigration said I can ask re-entry on the airport.

Transfering a stamp means they will put a new stamp in your new passport, not take it out of the old one and put it in the new one. 

16 minutes ago, berybert said:

Transfering a stamp means they will put a new stamp in your new passport, not take it out of the old one and put it in the new one. 

Yes a new stamp transferring your extension of/permission to stay.

Or details of your visa if it hasn't reached its use by/enter by date. Providing you have a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay alive. Otherwise you get 30 days and start again.

Edited by overherebc

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

You mean they carefully peeled off the visa from your old passport and then re-stuck it in your new passport.

Amazing service.

It amazed me even more how they handle the iron counting to 10 before lifting it up and even offered a free cover.

Out of craziness, they stamped in the new passport and wrote down the old passport number, visa type and validity period.

I see this as transferring the visa. No extension is granted with that stamp.

7917.jpg.c6ddc9b6d7f5e17d1f1b6696397c6922.jpg

By the way, peeling off the visa..  2 out of 8 visas I got are stamped version of the visa from the embassy and not those fancy sticker which I got the year before and after.

7919.jpg.ae3d7defcf97f750c391320a099e739d.jpg

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I'm told US 10 year visa is the same. They won't transfer it, instead tell you to show both (plus all in between if you changed several times) passports when checking into your flight and at the immigration.

Yes. It's worked just fine for my Thai wife entering USA over many years. In fact now she scans the visa into the machine. We spend less than a minute speaking with IO. I think from the time we stepped off plane to proceeding thru immigration was 15 minutes at JFK.

Edited by Number 6

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Every embassy provides this "letter". It authorizes Thai imm to transfer stamps such as last entry and and reentry permit. Without letter from embassy nothing can be transfered.

I applied for a new passport online earlier this year, and it was couriered direct from my own country with no input at all from the embassy.  I took it to local (Buriram) immigration and had my extension transferred from my old passport with no letter required.  I should add, prior to online applications being possible, previous passports were applied for, and collected, from the embassy, and they did indeed provide a letter asking for transfer, however, rather than make the trip to Bangkok to request such a letter this time, I decided to try at immigration first, with the above result.  No letter was needed.

Edited by ballpoint

9 hours ago, Rob4 said:

I have left via Suvarnabhumi in the past with a new (UK) passport, and wanting a re-entry permit. I went to the re-entry permit desk, and explained the situation. They were able to transfer my most recent entry stamp from the old passport to the new passport (with an annotation about the visa the stamp was associated with) placed a re-entry permit in the new passport, and stamped me out of Thailand. (Of course, the visa in the old passport was not transferred.) Unlike a regular request for a re-entry permit at Suvarnabhumi, this took quite some time (nearly an hour as I recall) but they had no comment on my request that it be done. I think they needed to shunt my passport around a couple of sections to get it done.

10 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

It amazed me even more how they handle the iron counting to 10 before lifting it up and even offered a free cover.

Out of craziness, they stamped in the new passport and wrote down the old passport number, visa type and validity period.

I see this as transferring the visa. No extension is granted with that stamp.

7917.jpg.c6ddc9b6d7f5e17d1f1b6696397c6922.jpg

By the way, peeling off the visa..  2 out of 8 visas I got are stamped version of the visa from the embassy and not those fancy sticker which I got the year before and after.

7919.jpg.ae3d7defcf97f750c391320a099e739d.jpg

The whole arguement/discussion is the difference between an actual visa and what is termed permission/extension of stay.

A visa can be valid for 3 months, 1 year etc and remains valid until it expires, even in an expired passport.

A permission to/extension of stay is generally, in Thailand, based on being retired, married or working. Usually valid for a year but has permission to stay for 90 days that is renewed for 90 days by doing 90 day reports or by leaving Thailand and coming back in again with a re-entry permit to keep everything valid.

If you are on a retirement extension and get a new passport Immigration transfer all the details into your new passport and you can then use your old passport as toilet paper or to help light a fire.

If you have a 1 year visa that is still valid for 10 months then you continue to use it, in the expired passport until it's expired. The details of it are noted in your new passport, but, you must still show it physically when you enter Thailand. You cannot just show the new passport with the noted details of the visa. If as I said earlier you use the old passport as toilet paper the next time you enter Thailand you will only get 30 days visa exempt. If your 'visa' was 'transferred' as people say then you would get permission to stay for the number of days you are entitled to from that 'visa'

• Like 1

18 hours ago, glegolo said:

Overall you are NOT correct, VISAS are transferable.... Maybe not in certan cases but i.e. VISAS that are the basis for an existing extension are being transfered to new passport..

glegolo

Not really.... the Visa is well expired You are certainly not transferring the function of the Visa into a new passport, that of aiding the admission into a country. The stamp in the new passport looks nothing like the Visa, and makes only a passing reference to it, that of type and issuance details. I think it is misleading to say the Visa is transferred.

• Like 1