Out of control dog

I recently moved into a quite modern village outside of Chiang-Mai. Love it here except for a dog that races out of its house and chases me down the street when I’m driving home on the motor scooter, trying to leap up and bite me or my g/f. 

I’ve spoken to owners, tried to keep it friendly and respectful but they don’t give a damn. 

My question, is pepper spray, or mace available to buy? Penalty if I stop the bike and clobber it (removed)

It’s really scary and I’m convinced that it is a matter of time before it gets its teeth into me or causes me to lose control of bike. 

Anybody had similar problem they managed to solve? 

There is a small device (size of a remote control) which can emit sound with an ultrahigh frequency. The sound cannot be heard by humans but it hurts the hearing of a dog. It does not work if the dog is deaf or is a well trained police dog. From experience I know it works very well. The dog back off immediately.

No idea where to buy in Thailand. 

You could try making friends with it by feeding it tidbits. A few cheap sausages might change his attitude each time you pass.

Failing that carry a lightweight stick across the handlebars as once you pick it up it makes a visual deterrent.

I saw a dog trainer on television once who fixed the problem by throwing water at the dog every time it chased his bike.

After about a dozen soakings the dog finally realizing that to chase meant getting wet.

When Im biking or on my moto and a dog gives chase. I IMMED stop and face it down..it looks at me like a kid hucking a snowball at a car and seeing the brake lights...the dog is like OH SH*T!!!! --I then turn the tables and GUN IT after the lil <deleted> and he takes off..however when I turn back he gives chase, so its a back n forth kinda....this being with a LONE dog, as Ive rode thru packs, slooooowly.....I also carry a baton and have even hocked a loogie on one! 555....His face was like <deleted>..u did NOT just spit on me!!!...so in MY exps of biking in CM daily they truly are all bark and no bite..dogs are born to chase things...

Results may vary.....but has been working for me as they dont seem to expect you to STOP..

5 minutes ago, Denim said:

You could try making friends with it by feeding it tidbits. A few cheap sausages might change his attitude each time you pass.

Failing that carry a lightweight stick across the handlebars as once you pick it up it makes a visual deterrent.

I saw a dog trainer on television once who fixed the problem by throwing water at the dog every time it chased his bike.

After about a dozen soakings the dog finally realizing that to chase meant getting wet.

I used to use water balloons for 5 dogs next door that would go at it all night..ka-boom!

14 minutes ago, Stephen Zevon said:

But it’s ok for the dog to attack me? 

Responsible owners train the dog, there’s no problem.

but if it comes down to me or the dog...

farang cruelty is ok????

dogs are moody, maybe it will change its behaviour but taking a stick and using it if attacked is sensible.

A friend uses pepper spray he got from abroad.

The bad of the bad dogs tend to be muzzled by their owner, suggest that to the owner and remind him rabies injections are 2-4k which he is liable for

Archived