Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

8 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Are they required to give pedestrians the right of way once they step foot in the zebra - Surely you jest.????????

Yes, at least when they are making a turn and a pedestrian is crossing. See Section 51 of the Land Traffic Act.

As mentioned elsewhere, Thailand has loads of wonderful laws.  You should see the reams they have covering corruption!  Enforcement, however, is an entirely different matter.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course the foreign is correct and the "Thai" driver is on the wrong. However road laws in Thailand are different than the rest of the "world"! If its safe to do so a person crossing  the road on a zebra crossing has right of way! Period. Clearly "Thai" drivers do NOT have this opinion!! Anyway of the Thai driver did this in USA, Canada, Europe and united kingdom she would be charged by police.

6 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

Akin to lip service.

We have everything in place... but no-one actually abides by anything.

This post makes be smile somewhat.  People giving their opinions here ought to go to India, Pakistan, Columbia, Brazil, Parts of Hong Kong, Cities in Vietnam and Cambodia, even Russia, then they would see real bad driving.  In totality, Thai drivers are bad, no doubt about that, but other Country's drivers are just as bad, if not worse. Try crossing the road's in Mumbai, or Islamabad, or San Paulo, or Hanoi.   And yes, they do have marked crossings there too,  To use a well worn phrase, some people who think this chap was hard done by, need to wake up and smell the coffee.  

Just now, Pilotman said:

This post makes be smile somewhat.  People giving their opinions here ought to go to India, Pakistan, Columbia, Brazil, Parts of Hong Kong, Cities in Vietnam and Cambodia, even Russia, then they would see real bad driving.  In totality, Thai drivers are bad, no doubt about that, but other Country's drivers are just as bad, if not worse. Try crossing the road's in Mumbai, or Islamabad, or San Paulo, or Hanoi.   And yes, they do have marked crossings there too,  To use a well worn phrase, some people who think this chap was hard done by, need to wake up and smell the coffee.  

Then it's ok... we can forgive and forget all the misgivings surrounding Thailands despicable traffic woes and stats because its 'worse elsewhere'.... 

Somewhere on a forum in Mumbai, Islamabad, (San?) Sao Paulo, or Hanoi someone has been hit on a Pedestrian crossing and there is social media outrage at the reaction of the injured party, on a webform there will be one genius who comments, its just as bad in Thailand !... 

Total waste of paint, just think of all the millions of gallons wasted right across Thailand. Same as stop signs waste of metal they all learn to drive on the dodgems.

As for matey boy after getting knocked over making himself look a proper twit by refusing to move surely would double the embarrassment.

But to say zebra crossings are different to in Europe just goes to prove Farang will be to blame no matter what the scenario.

On Tuesday evening, along with a large group of people returning from the festivities,  waiting at the thapae gate pedestrian crossing. The lights changed to green, the traffic dutifully slowed to a stop and we started to cross with the green light.

Half way across a motorbike with a farang driver and a thai lady astern surged through the stationary vehicles, through his red light, and tried to push through the pedestrians on the crossing.

I firmly pointed at him then at the lights to point out he was supposed to give way. He became very angry and clearly wanted to retaliate. His thai passenger was clearly embarrassed. He stopped half on the crossing.

His actions were stupid, aggressive and dangerous.

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Why not refer to it as a PEDESTRIAN CROSSING, it makes more sense.

In UK both Zebras and Pelicans have right of way.

Zebra and Pelican crossings are generically Pedestrian crossings. The people using them all correctly have the right to expect the traffic to stop to allow pedestrians to cross the road safely. Some PCs rely on automated or human being activated traffic lights. Zebra and Pelicans do not have the right of way unless accompanied by a human. To suggest that Zebras and Pelican use these crossings is wrong and they certainly do not have right of way!

be funny if he actually were Russian! -  walk aimiong for the fronts of cars is a popular pastime, and keeps YouTube well funded 

anyways in thios case, it's good to see him stand

whoops...sit his ground

Now this is interesting. As I mentioned on another thread about the meaning of some white lines with white bars and I was told by the traffic office technical section that all white lines or bars were a warning, or an advisory component, to drivers. However, this does lack the 'compulsory' element unless accompanied by an appropriate sign.

On Sukhumvit rd yesterday... one of those times it would be impossible to cross unless you show some level of 'assertion'... i.e. stepping out but being prepared to step back just incase the car careening down on you doesn't stop. 

Someone (a Thai chap) was on the other side of the crossing doing the same thing... as we stepped out the traffic slowed and stopped - great. 

.... except one motorcycle who split traffic and decided he didn't want to stop, but put up a hand of apology instead !!!

I've found some roads better than others. On Sukhumit the cars seem more responsive to someone attempting to cross at a crossing. On Ekammai its almost the opposite and drivers would sooner run you over than have to even moderate their speed slightly to allow you time to cross in the traffic gap. 

The general mentality seems to be improving and many drivers are polite, but this is one issue where every single driver on the road needs to be on-board.

With Thailands traffic woes its a minority who completely tarnish a generally decent and polite driving population. 

6 hours ago, Nicknoodle said:

“They say that zebra crossings in Thailand are not the same as those from where he is from - no one bothers to stop.”

Rubbish! The zebra crossings in thailand are designed exactly the same as in the west.
But it’s the lack of training and absolutely no enforcement of the law that is the problem.
It was the same in regard to motorbikes on footpaths! It’s illegal. But was never enforced until recently in some areas, and now there are fewer motorbikes on the footpaths because they are more likely to get fined now.
Start dishing out fines for the zebra crossing runners then see what happens.

Yes, but he is rather nieve to expect cars to stop unless they have already slowed right down. Perhaps that's why he's not hurt and so angry; she was probably crawling along at 2mph texting  on her smart phone and didnt stop as he expected. You have to cross like a matador here watching an approaching car like its a bull; ready at any moment  to leap over the bonnet and shout "Olay! Ya missed me MF!".....????. Most cars r driven by buffaloes anyway!

7 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

it's a points system, hit farang on zebra crossing is a high scorer - probably gets enough points for a 100baht Tesco gift card 

7 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Actually the Thai law states that they do have to stop when they see someone waiting at a zebra crossing or already on the crossing and must wait until the pedestrian(s) are on the opposite footpath, but as we all know this is one of dozens of laws that are ignored by drivers and by the police.

I know from previous uni class discussions that the above is law but I can also share that many Thai students (all adults) don't know the law on this subject.

Plus, during such discussions many students mentioned 'but care must come first' and similar.

6 hours ago, BwindiBoy said:

Well done to him - Thailand seems incapable of sorting their roads out themselves, and maybe this will be the start of some momentum, which may encourage Thailand to raise its game.

Be careful what you wish for.   More likely there will just be another law that all foreigners must

pay for street crossing insurance to stay in Thailand.   THAT  law will be enforced  ????

What a can of worms this has become. A quick scan through the traffic laws gives no mention of having to give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing. They do say pedestrians have to use them though. If a vehicle is turning into a soi then they have to give way to pedestrians even without a zebra crossing. 

So on the face of it he was in the wrong.

This doesn't mean what he did should be frowned upon though. He was standing up (or in this case sitting down) for the rights of pedestrians. We all need to cross roads on foot so anyone trying to make that safer should be applauded. Those saying he will not change anything should look at how any people led changes happen. If no-one stands up nothing will change but if one person does then it can start to snowball. He was seen by many on TV. 

Many times I hear "this is how it has been for many years, no need for any changes". Usually said by older people (not only the stupid ones) who seem oblivious to the changes that have occurred making the old ways unfit for purpose. Just because no-one else makes changes doesn't mean changes are not needed. 

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I'm a supporter of speed bumps.

Not expensive and quite able to deter motorists from speeding in crowded areas.

I loathe speed bumps with a passion. They are only used in Thailand because it is impossible to get Thai drivers to obey speed limits any other way.  And as much as I hate speed bumps, I built 2 of them on the road outside my house. It is a constant irritant to me every time I go anywhere...and I put them there. I had to. It was just too dangerous otherwise.

It is truly sad that there is just no other way in this country.

Archived