Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

1 hour ago, Dionigi said:

Actually the Thai Highway Code reads very much like the one in the Uk. and I suppose the rest of Europe. Drivers are informed that they must stop for pedestrians on pedestrian crossings. Earlier this week a Thai lady driver stopped for me in Jomtien, I smiled and said thank you as I crossed.

If you think that everybody else is going to stop for you just because one stopped for you, you're going to regret one day.

Most people in Asia don't stop for you. You have to watch that there are no cars coming before crossing zebra crossing in Asia.

Watch the video below, it takes only one accident to regret your whole life. Better safe than sorry.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Beggar said:

This guy must have a mental disorder. Such people are a shame for other foreigners. I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

Hi Beggar. I had similar thoughts as you at first and thought he might be taking too many female hormones but then I thought what if a child was knocked down. Even so lucky this guy was not hurt either. His tantrum has caught the media at least and just maybe it might trigger some people to think. Unlikely but you never know. Agree it doesn't paint us foreigners in a good light but hopefully the media can put a positive spin on it.

19 minutes ago, Monomial said:

I loathe speed bumps with a passion. They are only used in Thailand because it is impossible to get Thai drivers to obey speed limits any other way.  And as much as I hate speed bumps, I built 2 of them on the road outside my house. It is a constant irritant to me every time I go anywhere...and I put them there. I had to. It was just too dangerous otherwise.

It is truly sad that there is just no other way in this country.

Yes, speed bumps are annoying, but as you say it's the only way to reduce the speed in crowded areas.

The alternative is having huge fines, cameras everywhere, and big contingents of traffic police on the roads.

I think speed bumps are a cheap, effective solution.

19 minutes ago, rumak said:

Be careful what you wish for.   More likely there will just be another law that all foreigners must

pay for street crossing insurance to stay in Thailand.   THAT  law will be enforced  ????

And you would just accept that as well. How about standing up for yourself (and others) instead of just giving in?

A small change like being more assertive at zebra crossings (while being very careful) will help drivers become more used to giving way and make a change in the law more likely. If everyone waits until there is not a car in sight nothing will ever change. Or if you are less agile and a car driver, give way to pedestrians more often even if it does confuse them.

29 minutes ago, fitzcaraldo said:

does he really have to do this ??

is he hurt ?

No and doesn't look like it.

Now watch the video in the post after yours. 

Maybe if more people did do this, 

that woman would be alive today.

The point o zebra crossings in Thailand just like every other regulation is to give the police the opportunity to make money if they have nothing better to do such as simply watching cars and motorcycles go through red lights.  

The only think that might start changing things would be if some people started taking direct action, such as spray painting cars that went through red lights or motorcycles that drove on pavements.  However as all Thai people participate in and benefit from corruption it will not happen.  If you doubt the previous statement, just a simple example - look at any town - every single building breaches planning regulations and the owners/inhabitants gaily pay the authorities to ignore the breaches.

1 hour ago, alexth said:

I see, so he is the idiot for not knowing that zebra crossings in Thailand are just for fashion, so bad that he deserves being laughed at rather then getting our sh*t together...Typical...

There are ready made headstones for people like him ????

Headstone.jpeg

Different countries and cultures have different norms. Thankful Thailand is not a western country. Plenty of western countries to live in if that suits you. Everyone knows here to be careful crossing the road and driving and that suits me fine. Just a different norm and it is their country. 

11 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Different countries and cultures have different norms. Thankful Thailand is not a western country. Plenty of western countries to live in if that suits you. Everyone knows here to be careful crossing the road and driving and that suits me fine. Just a different norm and it is their country. 

If you ever have children your attitude will change completely. If you already have children I pity them.

34 minutes ago, thaibook said:

The point o zebra crossings in Thailand just like every other regulation is to give the police the opportunity to make money if they have nothing better to do such as simply watching cars and motorcycles go through red lights.  

The only think that might start changing things would be if some people started taking direct action, such as spray painting cars that went through red lights or motorcycles that drove on pavements.  However as all Thai people participate in and benefit from corruption it will not happen.  If you doubt the previous statement, just a simple example - look at any town - every single building breaches planning regulations and the owners/inhabitants gaily pay the authorities to ignore the breaches.

I've wondered about that maybe a ball bat to the windshield or a pipe through the spokes of a motorcycle

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's a suggestion, like stopping for red traffic lights or driving on the left on a dual carriageway.

Other suggestions, wearing a m/c helmet, seat belt, one way street, etc.

Up to you!

Not to mention handicap parking! They seem to think it means free super VIP parking for morons. ????

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's a suggestion, like stopping for red traffic lights or driving on the left on a dual carriageway.

By the way, isn't it a bit too strange and archaic to refer to streets or roads as carriageways?

Most of the developed world hasn't seen any carriages for roughly 100 years.

Times do change. What were talking about here is a two-lane road. It's not that difficult.

Why can't we update our terminology to keep apace with reality.

Just a thought...

4 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

They saw many zebra crossings in most western countries without having a clue as to what these decorations could do in the street all year long, so they decided to do the same thinking it would probably look smarter for western tourists!

So many farangs (especially on this forum) hold onto the ludicrous assumption that when they visit an Asian country, the customs and rules and laws should match those of their own home country. And when these don't match they get a severe case of apoplexy and proclaim that Thais are not very intelligent, and that they lack many of the requisite values to be considered real humans. I would remind these folks, that a number of Asian societies were making advances in mathematics and astronomy and were developing ingenious inventions when most of Europe still had no writing system, were still living in squalor and engaging in endless tribal warfare. Some folks are not aware that several Asian societies had highly organized civil service examination systems a thousand years before Europeans even had books.

The first time I visited an Asian country in 1960, I had the eerie feeling that I had travelled back 2,000 yrs in a time-machine. It was extremely fascinating. If folks visit Thailand and get upset bcoz most Thais don't speak much English and eat foods that folks back home would never eat... hey, what the holey moley did they even come here for? If these folks are so self-centered that they want an exotic, ancient Asian kingdom to somehow play by all the same rules as home, they'd surely be much more contents if they didn't do something so brash as to visit an exotic, ancient Asian kingdom. They'd surely be better off if they just stayed home and avoided adventures in exotic lands.

All the years I lived in Thailand, I found it an amazing place. And if you want to talk about weird food -- in Thailand I never saw anybody eats coagulated blood sandwiches. 

The guy who sat down in the crosswalk and threw a hissie fit is a superb example of narrow-minded falangs who would be much better off to stay home. The U.S. has 50 states, each of them are much like different countries, they all make their own laws. If you travel state to state you can have lots of problems if you can't accept the fact that different places have different laws. How much more one should expect if visiting an exotic Asian country.

Just some thoughts...

1 minute ago, BradinAsia said:

So many farangs (especially on this forum) hold onto the ludicrous assumption that when they visit an Asian country, the customs and rules and laws should match those of their own home country. And when these don't match they get a severe case of apoplexy and proclaim that Thais are not very intelligent, and that they lack many of the requisite values to be considered real humans. I would remind these folks, that a number of Asian societies were making advances in mathematics and astronomy and were developing ingenious inventions when most of Europe still had no writing system, were still living in squalor and engaging in endless tribal warfare. Some folks are not aware that several Asian societies had highly organized civil service examination systems a thousand years before Europeans even had books.

The first time I visited an Asian country in 1960, I had the eerie feeling that I had travelled back 2,000 yrs in a time-machine. It was extremely fascinating. If folks visit Thailand and get upset bcoz most Thais don't speak much English and eat foods that folks back home would never eat... hey, what the holey moley did they even come here for? If these folks are so self-centered that they want an exotic, ancient Asian kingdom to somehow play by all the same rules as home, they'd surely be much more contents if they didn't do something so brash as to visit an exotic, ancient Asian kingdom. They'd surely be better off if they just stayed home and avoided adventures in exotic lands.

All the years I lived in Thailand, I found it an amazing place. And if you want to talk about weird food -- in Thailand I never saw anybody eats coagulated blood sandwiches. 

The guy who sat down in the crosswalk and threw a hissie fit is a superb example of narrow-minded falangs who would be much better off to stay home. The U.S. has 50 states, each of them are much like different countries, they all make their own laws. If you travel state to state you can have lots of problems if you can't accept the fact that different places have different laws. How much more one should expect if visiting an exotic Asian country.

Just some thoughts...

To keep it short....everywhere a Zebracrossing is a Zebracrossing and means the same...also in Asia.

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

In a Zebra crossing in Thailand and most other Asian countries, you have to wait until there no more cars before crossing.

You can't expect the cars to stop for you. It's not the same as in western countries.

so those new fandangled  crossing in some places with a zebra road markings and a red/green   light are for what?

Archived