Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Well, technically, if the guy had been sat there more than a few minutes (barring injury) then he could we'll have been charged with obstruction !!! 

Imagine that headline, hit on the crossing but no action, and fined for staying there ! 55555

He was sitting there long enough that the police had time to come. But even then he didn't want to move. 

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Beggar said:

For you a guy sitting in the middle of the road and blocking the traffic is normal? The lady made a mistake and the police is there already and he still behaves like an angry child? And this is normal for you and justified? Your thinking is very strange... 

Remind me will you: police was there...doing exactly what?

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

No meaning, cause, apparently, there are no zebras in Thailand... However, some drivers see them as painted signs to speed up, esp. when pedestrians dare to cross the road in these locations.  

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And of course, the total absence of any Thai logic or thought in such matters never bothers to consider the obvious resulting question of.... what's the point of having the marked pedestrian crossings if drivers ignore them and the police don't enforce them?

It's almost like they're a foreigners' honey pot trap -- we lure you in with the illusion of safety and then BAM!, you're unsuspecting Thailand road kill.... :ninja: 

despite  telling us last week how safe we  are ie ministry of <deleted> replies

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Or they are supposed to know as citizens of the country. Also, have you checked and are you sure there is not signs in Thai somewhere for that too?

There is a persistent rumour going around that, possibly, driving schools -may- exist in Thailand, and that -some- drivers may, in fact, possess a driver's license...

However, (traffic) laws in Thailand are there to be broken: kids on motorbikes, most riders without a helmet, speeding, cutting off, riding on the pavements (even cops), etc., etc. Why should drivers follow this rule, if no-one stops them to break all the others?

Not reading 7 pages. First of all it’s a cross walk. Nobody but old Brits call it something else.  But for sure old men crossing these crosswalks think they are “ supreme “ in Pattaya right now I have already seen how they cross the crosswalk slowly and they ALWAYS hold up there hand “ like STOP in the name of love “ to the cars and motorcycles approaching them !! It’s a f n joke !!  
Just get real and wait like all normal people do. You know,  if you know how to time your walk across a busy road you would not have to be so dramatic with your hand signs and both you and the cars could all get by just fine. Please stop the nonsense! 

27 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

All arguments regarding Thai driving aside, what does this asshat hope to achieve by adding petulant behavior to an already bad situation? 

well it  may just draw  attention to their <deleted>  driving habits

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:
8 minutes ago, bino said:

Not applicable to Thai people.

Or they are supposed to know as citizens of the country. Also, have you checked and are you sure there is not signs in Thai somewhere for that too?

I noted that over a decade ago when those signs (Jaywalker fine 200b fine) went up on the central reservation along sukhumvit rd. The also covered the wires in black grease !

It was one of those 'target farang' things, much like the 2000 baht littering fines (locals never get charged) - I'm usually not one to claim unequal treatment here, but there are couple of issue which standout and that is the targeting of foreigners along Sukhumvit for easy fines (jaywalking and littering should be fined, but fine everyone equally).

In this case - I hope the lady driving the car received a fine for not stopping at a Pedestrian Crossing - I think the fine is 'driving dangerously' a few people have received such fines in Thailand in the past when they have hit someone at a pedestrian crossing. 

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

When they're painting the white lines along the edge of the road if they have some paint left over they just put in a random zebra crossing, can't be wasting good paint!????

18 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

I guess, you are new to Thailand...or a Thai...?!

Oh, let me present myself. Around 23 years here. How long have you stayed?

Living on the right visa based on marriage or children as I wish. What about you?

Presentation over. Did you have anything to contribute with regarding the thread as an on topic discussion, or was it only funny to concentrate on me as a person?

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

The man is an idiot, one for thinking that a few painted lines on a road in Thailand mean that it is a zebra crossing in the western sense and two, for getting upset when he gets knocked over on one.  Chill man, you're not in Kansas anymore. 

Aside from anything: where's this going? 7 pages of comments and counting (yes I know - I'm also just another idiot adding to it).

The point is: where on earth does the (apparent) general perception come from that "what's right on my home turf [Kansas] must be applicable/law everywhere [Thailand] as well"? Yes, pedestrian crossings make sense, and yes, lots of countries will fine into oblivion any car drivers who don't stop at the slightest hint that a pedestrian might want to cross. But to apply cookie-cutter logic, like the guy in the article (and a good number of people from a couple of countries with a very entitled population I could mention), to actual traffic outside their respective countries is simple stupid and hollow. 

8 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Not reading 7 pages. First of all it’s a cross walk. Nobody but old Brits call it something else.  But for sure old men crossing these crosswalks think they are “ supreme “ in Pattaya right now I have already seen how they cross the crosswalk slowly and they ALWAYS hold up there hand “ like STOP in the name of love “ to the cars and motorcycles approaching them !! It’s a f n joke !!  
Just get real and wait like all normal people do. You know,  if you know how to time your walk across a busy road you would not have to be so dramatic with your hand signs and both you and the cars could all get by just fine. Please stop the nonsense! 

This is a perfect example of the 'pseudo-stockholm-syndrome' I mentioned earlier when in light of a 'wrong doing' the sufferer instead sides with the 'aggressor' instead of the 'victim' as if this in someway makes things ok in the sufferers head. 

A car not stopping at a Pedestrian Crossing (only North Americans call it a crosswalk) and hitting a pedestrian is in the wrong, not the Pedestrian. 

That said, everyone knows we have to be extra careful when crossing the road here. But even then we have cars baring down on us with no intention of even slightly adjusting their speed to make things safer instead. I have seen cars (taxi) accelerate at crossing pedestrians on a crossing and then blaring the horn - some drivers here are total aggressive psychopathic lunatics who deserve a severe beating for commonly placing pedestrians at such risk. 

Once your jet lag is over in a few days you will understand. Thanks for coming to Thailand for the first time. 

My Jeep was once rear-ended by a motorbike when I stopped at a stop sign in the village near my home. Long story short, I was "advised" by the local police to pay to get the motorbike fixed, just  couple hundred baht, because, as they explained, "Bill, you live here. You KNOW no one ever stops at that stop sign." ????

Just now, billsmart said:

My Jeep was once rear-ended by a motorbike when I stopped at a stop sign in the village near my home. Long story short, I was "advised" by the local police to pay to get the motorbike fixed, just  couple hundred baht, because, as they explained, "Bill, you live here. You KNOW no one ever stops at that stop sign." ????

And you fell foul of lazy police looking for the path of least resistance because you caved. 

In similar circumstances anywhere else the police would try and get the car driver to pay because they assume the car driver has more money and the motorcycle will have no insurance. 

All you had to do was say no - Bike fault ! - there are lots of stories on here where the foreigner has taken the blame, in nearly all of them they took the blame and hit for the damages because they were soft - their ego would never admit this, but that's the way it is. 

We live near the white temple in Chiang Rai, I always stop for the people on the crossing . What do the other drivers do , just go around me and dont care about the people half way on .. Incredible Thai motorists never cease to amaze me 

As far I know not stopping is good for a 1000 baht fine, that there is no enforcement is something else. Reason nobody stops is the enforcement part.
I always find it hilarious when some fresh arrived tourists try to make the attempt, to almost get killed, and the look on their face is priceless.

"This is Thailand"  nothing really works they paint and paint and buy more paint because the official get a kick back for all the painting. When the workers paint they don't even know why they are painting it is part of the system to keep people working. 

They like to show the world they are just like the West, so they copy not knowing what they are copying then the big part have no way or idea how to enforce the shear fact that the driver can't understand why this is being done to her is laughable and if you try to explain they snap and get angry because it is a lost of face rather they did something wrong. Top that off the police comes along raised in the same system think we are nuts to protest instead of enforcing the Driving Law it is use the " honor system " mai pen rain go to Temple and you will feel better.

A country developed but still think 3rd world!????

Whenever Thais see paint they see blood, pedal to the metal just like the video game!

This reminds me of a bad joke.

Two guys of an ethnic minority were crossing the road via a crosswalk and were hit by a car.

When the police arrived the driver was in a state of panic but the policeman said , don't worry sir, we will book the guy who went through your window with breaking an entering and the guy who got knocked down the road with leaving the scene of the crime.

Archived